Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #3,181 of 3,200
I did not have to use sandpaper to make the BA700 fit at the Cowon J3. There is another simple trick: just twist the battery 90 degrees, as I have shown at the pictures above.

It doesn't fit with the terminals facing up, but it fits with the terminals facing to one side. No need for brute force!

Sep 29, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #3,182 of 3,200
I just received my BA700 and I know how to get into my JE. I would very much appreciate any info regarding this battery substitution. Also is this battery protected from over charging. Thank you. DR. SAM iglover@comcast.net

This was a really long ago, I recommend checking this link with a search of the thread for 'battery'

You will need to cut the wires off the old battery leaving them connected to the circuit board side.

Then solder them onto the correct battery terminals

Read closely to any comments by Mython. :)

https://www.head-fi.org/search/2367527/?q=battery&t=post&c[thread]=484334&o=date

Jan 21, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,183 of 3,200
Hi!

My cowon J3 is 10 years old now, Should I start to look for a replacement, or should I just tune it up? Battery is fine but I don't mind change it now for future profit, I have 32gb internal and 64gb external, how far can I go? Is any new better DAP now? I don't look for hi resolution playback bc is an on the go device, the sound on normal with my Audeze mobius on default or warm sounds amazing for me, I just wish playlist could be a thing on the J3. Any suggestions for mods or a better upgrade will be really appreciated, thanks!!!

I'm from Mexico if that matters for any of options but Amazon and Aliexpress delivers almost anything these days without issues.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #3,184 of 3,200
Recently I have tried the J3 with a pair of moondrop Starfield. OMG the quality jump from my old se215 is sensational. This remind me the importance of the headphone/speaker compared to the source dac and amp. To be honest with flac files I cannot hear real difference between the j3 and my topping nx4 dsd. My suggestion is: if it’s not a problem related to functionalities or the lack of them, invest money on iem or headphones.

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #3,185 of 3,200
Just here to report on a battery life test I just completed on my 10-year-old, regularly-used J3. I ran it on shuffle all (internal and microSD libraries combined), screen off, volume 20 out of 40, through an ancient set of Sennheiser CX300 (I think that's the model number) iems. I got almost 45 hours! It was on the 623rd track! Amazing little player to still be that robust!

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #3,186 of 3,200
My trusty old Cowon J3, which is now 11 years old, continues to play faultlessly and I love the audio quality. One of my only two complaints with it has been its management of playlists. After struggling with trying to set up playlists on it for a long time someone on one of these forums sent me a very helpful tip to connect the player to a Windows PC, browse to the folder, select the files I wanted, and right click to "Add to playlist". Nothing else seemed to work for me, including the use of other tools to create and sync playlists.

This worked very well and I didn't want to risk losing the playlists that I had created already, so I started to periodically save copies of those PLA files on my PC even though they always appeared to be empty when I tried to view or edit them on the PC. Recently I made the mistake of absent-mindedly connecting the J3 to a Macbook, which wiped out all my playlists. My research revealed that this has happened to other users too and there's no way to recover those deleted playlists.

Now I'm left with the option of having to recreate the dozens of custom playlists that I had painstakingly created. Has anyone had any experience trying to recover old playlists from the J3? Why are the PLA files not available for backups on other devices? Is there any way to recover old playlist info from copies of the PLA files?

May 16, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #3,187 of 3,200
Not really much to it, though, is there? LOL

The hardest bit is obtaining a genuine BA700 battery, and not a rubbish copy.

After that, just:

1) remove the microSD card

2) remove the back panel

3) desolder the old battery, leaving the wires still soldered to the DAP circuitboard

4) sand the plastic from the bottom of the new BA700 battery, being extremely careful not to damage the cell itself (the plastic is barely 1mm thick!)

5) solder the new battery to the old wires

6) Screw the back panel on

7) re-insert the microSD card

8) charge fully (do not be impatient - it is important to fully charge a new lithium battery before using it for the first time)

9) switch the DAP on

10) listen to some music!
biggrin.gif

Credit to 'jotatsu' at iaudiophile.net, for identifying BA700 as an ideal candidate battery
beerchug.gif

Just a quick update for any J3 owners who ended up side-grading to a newer Plenue J when their J3s finally kicked the bucket:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cowon-plenue-d.789488/post-17561369

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #3,191 of 3,200
Thanks for the link.

It seems odd that they've stopped making a tiny 9mb file available - why on earth would they deliberately make life difficult for past customers? I can't see it motivating anyone to buy a new Cowon DAP just because the firmware is no longer available for older models. If anything, it's just going to annoy loyal customers or make them wary of buying a new Cowon DAP if they anticipate Cowon doing the same thing for that DAP in a few years time.

I'm not impressed about it, and I also own a Plenue J and 2 Plenue Ds, so I'm a good customer of Cowon.

Anyone else know of any links to the v2.29 J3 firmware, please?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #3,192 of 3,200
For anyone else reading this thread (now or later), I can't guarantee that this site is legit, but it's the only download link I can find that works at the time of this posting:

touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=33912&v_langue=en

fichiers.touslesdrivers.com/33912/COWON_J3_2.29.zip

UPDATE: I've now installed this downloaded firmware and it seems to be completely legit and working fine.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #3,193 of 3,200
Hi folks! After having the J3 live rent-free in my mind for a decade, I finally got one thanks to a friend. It’s in excellent condition with a screen protector and leather folio case.

Could someone point me to where the custom themes are online? I found some for the X7 but haven’t found the right ones for the J3. Happy to finally have one and join the family 😊

Dec 6, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #3,195 of 3,200
Did a battery test, no EQ, screen off, shuffle all (internal and external folders), volume 20/40 through old sennheiser CX300 iems, I got 43 hours and 15 minutes! Crazy battery life! Last time was a little over two years ago and I had "almost 45 hours" (it's in this thread) so I'm super happy with 43 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back