Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #3,151 of 3,200
  Just a shout out to the J3. Still using mine daily and loving it for out and about. Fiio x5 for home. Was able to get a 128 gig micro to work with it as well. Anyone else?

I'm still using my J3 regularly.

Not audiophile level of sound quality, but a brilliant little work-a-day DAP in every other respect - I even use the integrated speaker to listen to audiobooks as I fall asleep at bedtime.

One of the absolute all-time best purchases of my life, in spite of its little flaws

Dec 20, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #3,152 of 3,200
I'm still a daily user, but I'm ready to move on. I'm one of the idiots who backed the Geek Wave, so I've been waiting awhile. I'm running out of patience, though. I'm seriously considering a Sony A36, though I don't know that the sound quality is any better.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #3,153 of 3,200
  Just a shout out to the J3. Still using mine daily and loving it for out and about. Fiio x5 for home. Was able to get a 128 gig micro to work with it as well. Anyone else?

Mine is still going strong ... 

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3,154 of 3,200
Cowon should release an anniversary edition J3, fully pimped out gold or copper with usb audio out, DSD and all those 2016 whistles. :D

She'd sell too...

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3,155 of 3,200
Cowon should release an anniversary edition J3, fully pimped out gold or copper with usb audio out, DSD and all those 2016 whistles.
biggrin.gif

She'd sell too...

Ha!  Ya that would be great

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #3,156 of 3,200
Cowon should release an anniversary edition J3, fully pimped out gold or copper with usb audio out, DSD and all those 2016 whistles.
biggrin.gif

She'd sell too...

I agree.

Even though there are more-advanced and better-sounding, DAPs now available (Plenue D, too), I totally believe that an updated J3, at an economical pricepoint (say, $200) would still sell very well, and would need very little development effort by Cowon.

Loads of J3 fans would love a new and slightly-improved replacement for their beloved J3, and I'm one of them!  (no gold or copper pimping required, though!
tongue_smile.gif
)

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #3,158 of 3,200
Sadly my much loved Ringke case/sleeve is totally falling apart ... any tips on good cases for the J3?  ... Can't seem to find the silicon Ringke cases anywhere...

?>?

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #3,159 of 3,200
My J3 is still going strong 5 years after I bought it. I still use it everyday, good enough for my on-the-go listening needs.
I use it mainly for my IEMs. I don't use it for headphones though.

The Plenue D is a little more resolving, and can play 24/96 files.
The A35 has a warmer and more musical sound, but imo still more of a sidegrade.

So far the DP-X1 and the AK70 are what I would consider as significant upgrades for my DAP. I haven't tried the X5 3rd gen yet.

Feb 5, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #3,160 of 3,200
After some 5 years of happy listening with the j3, as of yesterday I have a problem to which no ready solution seems available on the www: The j3 gets stuck on the boot screen after startup and also when plugged into the PC via USB. I believe I have loaded a defective mp3 file onto the device, however I see no way to remove it or format the player's storage or reinstall the firmware or anything. The reset-button does not help. Does anyone have an idea? Any help is much appreciated!!!

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #3,161 of 3,200
Just following suit with the other recent posts. Still using my J3 every day. Still works like a dream. Still has crazy good battery life. I agree with the idea of the legacy edition J3, and how awesome that would be. I loved the Plenue D when I auditioned it, but the J3 still has a superior form-factor in my opinion, and better scrolling (though the PD wasn't bad at all). [edit: I forgot to mention the UCIs by Kizune! They drastically improve the J3!] Still, a 64GB or 128GB J3 with no file limits would be the bee's knees.
@sjftk I wish I could help you. I've had my J3 lock up on the boot screen a few times, and you're correct, it is caused by a corrupt file, but if your computer is unable to see the device, I'm not sure what I'd try. Any luck since you posted this?

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #3,162 of 3,200
Still jamming with mine.

Is there any player with the J3's form, factor and battery life but greater memory capacity?

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #3,163 of 3,200
Still jamming with mine.

Is there any player with the J3's form, factor and battery life but greater memory capacity?

The new Cowon Plenue J is thicker, but not far off the size of the J3.

My J3 died about 3 weeks ago (screen finally gave up working, after a few months of intermittent issues, and checking the screen-to-PCB multi-pin-plug-&-socket does not fix it), and I'm gutted, as I have used my faithful J3 every single day for several years. I especially like the integrated speaker, which may be too feeble for music, but is fantastic for listening to audiobooks in bed.

In terms of everyday usability, convenience, size, weight, form-factor, etc., I believe the J3 to be the best MP3 player ever made. It's like the Nokia 6310i of the mp3 player world!

It looks like the Plenue J may be the closest replacement I will be able to find, although, unfortunately for me, it doesn't have an integrated speaker. No speaker and no AMOLED is a pity, but, in other respects, it looks like a worthy successor to the J3.

www.head-fi.org/showcase/cowon-plenue-j.22835/reviews
www.head-fi.org/threads/new-model-cowon-plenue-j.864025/#post-13849735
http://cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUEJ/product_page_1.php

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #3,164 of 3,200
Wow this is a real blast from the past. I haven't used my J3 in a long while, ever since I signed up for Google Play Music the convenience factor overrode all other considerations. Maybe time to dig it back up...

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #3,165 of 3,200
Wow this is a real blast from the past. I haven't used my J3 in a long while, ever since I signed up for Google Play Music the convenience factor overrode all other considerations. Maybe time to dig it back up...

I sold my S9 after using my smartphone for music... Then I lost interest in music, and ended up buying a Cowon Plenue R which has re-awoken my love for headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back