Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 1, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #556 of 3,200
I just bought some Ultrasone Pro 900's and my iPhone 3GS and iPod 3rd gen sound terrible.
Should i buy an amp for my iPod or buy the J3 and maybe amp that????
Also is it easy to drag songs from my iTunes over the the J3??

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #557 of 3,200

Quote:
What do you guys think of the J3 on normal EQ? To be honest I think it is pretty rubbish sounding until I mess about with BBE etc at which point it becomes rather nice.

Without EQ/BBE it sounds the same as any other player out there, at least with all the phones I AB tested the J3 against a few others (volume matched, of course).

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #558 of 3,200
You make some good points below. With regard to your "too many" comment though, it sounded like you were saying, "Please don't hand me that, fresh off the grill, delicious looking, perfectly cooked, free-range burger on an artisan bun. It has tomatoes on it." Well take off the screw*** tomatoes then! :wink: I was just giving you a hard time as I'm sure Benny was.

The J3 is, I'll admit, intimidating at first compared to other UIs. I approached slowly with a eyebrow cocked and an open mind. But I've got it working just right for me now.

How big is your FLAC library? I'm not suggesting you compromise on your storage requirements, but I've found that once I weened myself off my 80 GB HDD-based Zune, and performed a realistic listening material audit on myself, I didn't need all that space and the 64 GB potential of the J3 was plenty spacious.

Quote:
Hey, the device seems solid in many ways, you don't have to jump on me because of an opinion on it's interface.

I use a phone (Nokia 5800 XM) for my listening habits, and coming from that device, yes, the Cowon seems to have too many options. Maybe it's a good thing since I can tweak and adjust it for a satisfying listening experience. I don't know yet, I haven't had the chance to play with it since most stores nearby haven't got it yet, 

I haven't listened to an Ipod since my gf's ipod nano and I didn't like it. Didn't do much comparison (soundwise) to my Nokia 5800 XM, but, I don't like Itunes.

That said, I'm a really comfortable person that likes the price/storage ratio of the apple classic. I have my music library ripped in flac, while I don't (usually) notice any difference between flac and V0, I don't want to make another library in V0 only on the go. I do believe that storage won't be an issue in the near future in portable devices.

Anyway, if Cowon releases the X7 with the same capacity as the Ipod Classic, for a reasonable price, with the same (or improved interface) as the J3 (which many seems to like), I would buy it, totally.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #559 of 3,200
Do you mean flat EQ, or tweaking the EQ and using no other effects? Flat, it sounds OK. Nothing special. Tweaking the EQ makes things really pop. At first I resisted, but recently I've been using BBE with my Shures and the highs are more dynamic and I don't detect any artificial side effects. I'm not saying I'd use SRS WOW, but with regard to JetEffect features, I've dropped all hoidy toidy pretence of BS purist snobbery. And I'm happier for it. It cost me 10k in therapy to say that by the way. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
What do you guys think of the J3 on normal EQ? To be honest I think it is pretty rubbish sounding until I mess about with BBE etc at which point it becomes rather nice.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #561 of 3,200
^^ DING DING DING! Exactly.

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #562 of 3,200
Fair enough, you make a good point as well, 64 GB is alot and having more is just a waste since it would probably take a few weeks to listen through the entire playlist...

How much does this device + the 32 GB micro SDHC card cost in the US? Are the prices shown on amazon.com accurate?

Quote:
You make some good points below. With regard to your "too many" comment though, it sounded like you were saying, "Please don't hand me that, fresh off the grill, delicious looking, perfectly cooked, free-range burger on an artisan bun. It has tomatoes on it." Well take off the screw*** tomatoes then! :wink: I was just giving you a hard time as I'm sure Benny was.

The J3 is, I'll admit, intimidating at first compared to other UIs. I approached slowly with a eyebrow cocked and an open mind. But I've got it working just right for me now.

How big is your FLAC library? I'm not suggesting you compromise on your storage requirements, but I've found that once I weened myself off my 80 GB HDD-based Zune, and performed a realistic listening material audit on myself, I didn't need all that space and the 64 GB potential of the J3 was plenty spacious.

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #563 of 3,200
Does anyone know how large the screen is? I'm going to buy one from HK and the dimensions are [size=x-small]2.68 in x 1.97 in. I'm wondering if that fits and I'd rather not wait 2 weeks to find out it's a bit smaller. I'm guessing I should be fine tho.[/size]

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #564 of 3,200
I'm not certain about Amazon pricing, but I'd be wary. There's some language currently about, "item under review". If you're in the US, buy from the authorized reseller, JetMall.net.

I don't have a 32 GB SDHC yet. They still cost way too much. I'm waiting for the Costco 2-pak price drop. :wink: You can pick up a 16 GB for around $30 USD though, so that'll put you around $330.

Quote:
Fair enough, you make a good point as well, 64 GB is alot and having more is just a waste since it would probably take a few weeks to listen through the entire playlist...

How much does this device + the 32 GB micro SDHC card cost in the US? Are the prices shown on amazon.com accurate?

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #565 of 3,200
Amazon is an authorized dealer as well :) I'll probably buy mine from B&H when they are open again. There's some holiday apparently so they closed early today. They are only around 10 dollars or so more expensive than buying from jetaudio from amazon which is a surprise. Usually the prices are much further apart but the base price from B&H is cheaper so that probably explains it.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #567 of 3,200
I took a chance and bought a second J3 (first one bricked and never recovered) because I wanted to take more time to explore the EQ options.

Unfortunately, the second one has a defective battery!
I've charged it three times, and it can't last longer than eight hours. When it is working, it has a split personality. The simple act of disconnecting it causes half my covers to change and be attributed to the wrong album. I'm using it in MTP mode. MSC mode (for some reason) put the tracks out of order if there were more than nine in a folder. So Track 10 would be seen as Track 1, Track 11 would be 2 - and Tracks 1 and 2 would be 3 and 4, and so on. But now it's doing it in MTP mode too, that's when it's not blank-screening me for no reason!

P.S I forgot how much I disliked the placement of the volume control. I use it in the palm of my hand, so my thumb is at the top right hand side, and it doesn't feel at all intuitive to slide it right down to the bottom to access the button.

P.P.S I forgot how pretty the screen was
smile_phones.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #568 of 3,200

Quote:
I took a chance and bought a second J3 (first one bricked and never recovered) because I wanted to take more time to explore the EQ options.

Unfortunately, the second one has a defective battery!
I've charged it three times, and it can't last longer than eight hours. When it is working, it has a split personality. The simple act of disconnecting it causes half my covers to change and be attributed to the wrong album. I'm using it in MTP mode. MSC mode (for some reason) put the tracks out of order if there were more than nine in a folder. So Track 10 would be seen as Track 1, Track 11 would be 2 - and Tracks 1 and 2 would be 3 and 4, and so on. But now it's doing it in MTP mode too, that's when it's not blank-screening me for no reason!

P.S I forgot how much I disliked the placement of the volume control. I use it in the palm of my hand, so my thumb is at the top right hand side, and it doesn't feel at all intuitive to slide it right down to the bottom to access the button.

P.P.S I forgot how pretty the screen was
smile_phones.gif

Did you try to recover your bricked J3 with TCCtool? It should work just fine.

As for file sorting, you have to start the file names with 01, 02, 03 - that way they are displayed in order. Having 01, 02, 03 in the ID3 tag track field is necessary for ID3 browsing, too - if you use something like 1/10, 2/10 for track tag, it doesn't work.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #569 of 3,200
So I went to B&H today and bought myself the J3 finally. I was afraid that these would come in a plastic bomb proof case but thankfully that isn't the case. I'll play with these for a couple days before I order a case and a screen protector since I saw the demo model and how easily fingerprints get on it which annoy me. I need to make sure these are a keeper first.

I'll just use the plastic thing that came on the J3 as a protector until I buy it. I could probably cut it a bit so it works as a screen protector but under $1 for one is pretty cheap.

edit: I really like how I can change volume and possibly tracks (I didn't try that) when the screen is off and the player is on lock. I'll need to charge these when I get home so I can play with it some more.

edit #2: The EQ settings are kinda fun to play around with. I'll have to use a more neutral phone to find something I'll like if I end up using the EQ or the settings. When you are charging does it tell you when you are done charging?

So I charged it fully (I don't think it tells me when it is done charging which is annoying or I just didn't charge it at 100%) and I've used it for around 8-10 hours since and the battery has not gone down. I'm guessing it does so at increments of 25% or 33%. I think my old D2+ did at one of those values and probably 25% but if this was my clip+ it would be under 50%. The battery is definitely worth it for me. I would very much like it if I only hard to charge once a week or so. I'm still contemplating that silicone case but not sure if I really need it. I might just get one just in case and it's not expensive either unlike lots of leather cases.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #570 of 3,200
A couple things: one's a 
deadhorse.gif
 , and the other is possibly a new issue.

First the dead horse. I'm still running firmware 2.10 and the slow clock issue persists. Anyone running 2.22 and is the clock issue fixed?

The second and new-to-me issue is the available memory feature in the UI. Mine's stuck at 33% and it's been stuck there for the last four or five FLACified album copies. Obviously, I can verify available space in Windows which is the more useful method, but the UI at-a-glance feature is handy. Has anyone else experienced this bug?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back