Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #603 of 3,200
So I went to B&H this morning and got myself a replacement set. I'm hoping I don't have issues with this one but I do have 15 days to find out.

edit: The second one I have seems to have a slightly elevated screen on the bottom right. I don't think I got two duds since it does work and it doesn't really affect much. I think I'll either get a refund or just get a silicone case and be done with it and use something that sticks better than tape if it ever gets bad. I'm leaning towards the latter but I do have two weeks to decide now. I could always just get a refund and buy them a couple months later hoping this goes away by then and maybe prices will go down as well as an added bonus.

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #604 of 3,200
Hey all, I've been playing with my new White 8G J3. She's really quite handsome.... my first non-black device! :)

I'm into my 3rd full charge-drain cycle (for battery break-in)  I'm testing FLAC endurance.... only going to the touchscreen maybe 6-8 times....
I swear she's going on 30-36 hrs looping thru a FLAC album... and still going!!!  Stunning battery life!

Don't laugh... but hearing about the awful speaker, I put the J3 up to my ear and..... Not bad!! :)  so I tried breaking it in like an IEM! LOL
I noticed that the sound gets muffled badly on a table top.... so I put it into a 25 DVD spindle top to reflect the sound... Not Bad!!
It'll do for those times I want to watch a movie and not wear headgear.  here's a pic for laffs!
I take my virtual hat off to Cowon for this Wunderkind!

Sep 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #605 of 3,200
So it really isn't too hard to take the top part of the screen off. I saw what the problem was. Everywhere except the bottom right part of the screen had a decent amount of their double sided tape but the bottom right has only a thin side because there's some chip or something around the bottom right area.

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #606 of 3,200
Heads up to the UK folk out there,

Amazon has just dropped the price of the 32gb Cowon j3 to £210. Just picked one up now
smily_headphones1.gif

Hurry though, their prices are known to fluctuate!

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #608 of 3,200
I preferred white based on online pictures. I really like the contrast between the black screen outlining and the brushed aluminium-ish plate at the bottom of the device. The black version has a brownish plate which I don't find as pretty. The white back doesn't really annoy me. Haven't seen the black version in real life though.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #609 of 3,200
My Cowon S9 scrolls faster than an iTouch, and supports back-swiping and album gestures on its touch screen. I actually have a slower time navigating a touch now that I have used my S9 for so long... When they get some good custom UCIs up for the J3, I think it will outclass the Touch... The iTouch where you have to lift your finger and press the back button in the browser, the iTouch where you are taken to the music interface after every song selection, the touch, with no way to control music playback from the file system, the iTouch, where there is no horizontal main menu, or browser, the iTouch... simply terrible in my opinion.

Quote:

"Apple can't be "touched" in that department. Period."

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #610 of 3,200
I don't know about the S9 but the J3 has a pretty good UI. There are some things I really like about the J3 and navigation is pretty good esp for a Cowon. The physical buttons for volume, play/pause and next/previous song is great as the D2+ I used to own only had volume.

The S9 should have a bunch of flash skins and such which should make the UI pretty good. it will only be a matter of time until the J3 has a bunch of those as well but I don't really think it's needed. I usually hate the UI on the Cowon since typically they don't make much sense but if Cowon starts developing UI similar or better than the J3 then they are going in the right direction.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #611 of 3,200

Quote:
I preferred white based on online pictures. I really like the contrast between the black screen outlining and the brushed aluminium-ish plate at the bottom of the device. The black version has a brownish plate which I don't find as pretty. The white back doesn't really annoy me. Haven't seen the black version in real life though.

i had the white one. I wanted white because it had a kind of silver strip of brushed aluminium across the bottom which really looked nice against the black surround. The white back didn't bother me either because I don't usually look at the back
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #612 of 3,200
Man, I've got to say... that's a great photo. Totally geeky/flashy/improvisational goodness. It made me happy.

Quote:
Hey all, I've been playing with my new White 8G J3. She's really quite handsome.... my first non-black device!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm into my 3rd full charge-drain cycle (for battery break-in)  I'm testing FLAC endurance.... only going to the touchscreen maybe 6-8 times....
I swear she's going on 30-36 hrs looping thru a FLAC album... and still going!!!  Stunning battery life!

Don't laugh... but hearing about the awful speaker, I put the J3 up to my ear and..... Not bad!!
smily_headphones1.gif
  so I tried breaking it in like an IEM! LOL
I noticed that the sound gets muffled badly on a table top.... so I put it into a 25 DVD spindle top to reflect the sound... Not Bad!!
It'll do for those times I want to watch a movie and not wear headgear.  here's a pic for laffs!
I take my virtual hat off to Cowon for this Wunderkind!

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #613 of 3,200
@ vpsporb - I'd have preferred a still from the mech scene in District-9 though. 
wink_face.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #615 of 3,200
I ordered a screen protector but won't arrive for another week. It was cheap anyway but might not even use although the finger prints are a bit annoying. I don't think the player necessarily needs a case so I've been using mine without one although I might end up getting a case down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back