Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #631 of 3,200

Quote:
I always place my J3 in that locked state with the screen turned off (tap the lock button twice) when I put it in my pocket. That might help as i've never had any problems with unresponsive screens.

There's a Locked state?  hmm perhaps I should RTFM! 
k701smile.gif
  seriously.. I haven't cracked it open yet... lol

Sep 27, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #632 of 3,200
Might there be any changes to the UI via firmware updates or some sort of mod? Having always owned an iPod, it's a bit hard to ween myself off the kinds of luxuries it had (I am still glad I risked buying the Cowon though, SQ and BBE+ is just so much better). The Cowon doesn't sort the music with ignoring "the"s and "a"s, can't treat albums of various artists as just 1 album in the matrix browser thing, has stupid brackets around everything, and the names are a bit small for me to touch correctly every time. Also don't like that it doesn't seem to be able to quit playback, it just pauses the music and jumps to the beginning when you finish an album/playlist (am I doing something wrong here?), so you have to press music and go back and back (and you first have to press the M button, then the back button on the other side of the screen). Last thing I'd mention is that you can't seem to customize the menu options shown; there are some options in the music menu I'll probably never use, and I like to reduce clutter. All in all these are pretty petty complaints, but it'd be very settling to see some of these addressed in the future.

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #633 of 3,200
^ I agree cowon UI can really use some help and clean-up. My primary mp3 player was ipod touch and compared to that it's really difficult sometimes.

But you can make the fonts bigger by going zoom. I don't know if that will help you but that helped me from clicking the wrong titles

Sep 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #634 of 3,200
I hear what you're saying. To be honest though, somethings just take some getting used. I was like this at first coming from an iPod touch to an S9 but once I got used to that, the other Cowon players I have owned (i9,J3) seem pretty second nature.

That's not to say that the UI doesn't need a face lift but believe me when I say this, it has come a heck of a long way from how it used to be.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #637 of 3,200
I have them same question.
If we we use common sense and mutliply 2mb/s with one hour for a video its 7,2 gb. A 720p 1hour movie is 2gb. So i say it wont matter. it only matters how fast you can transfer files into the unit.
But somone who knows more, or tested them could help us more.

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #641 of 3,200
Sorry for the late response. My alerts aren't working in a timely manner.

smile_phones.gif
 Don't feel bad. I just learned one can do stills/screen shots that day. I've been having fun with them ever since. Let us all know how the S9 protector works! And for what it's worth, I've had no trouble with screen lift. I am one of the those folks who's ridiculously careful with gear though.

Quote:
"A still"  Durr... why didn't I think of that? lol  Avatar was happily playing away.   Yes, District 9 kicks much Ass.... finally saw it just recently...in 720p! 
tongue_smile.gif

I heard that an S9 screen protector fits the J3 perfectly.... It better, cuz I just ordered one! I'm also looking to buy the "Jelly cover" to protect the rest of the unit.  Opinions?

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #642 of 3,200

Quote:
Might there be any changes to the UI via firmware updates or some sort of mod?

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111 Get custon UCI files, put them in the SYSTEM FLASHUI folder, make sure to name them correctly, ect. (if it is a music UCI, call it MUSIC, if a menu or browers, call it MAINMENU1, or browsertotal)

Many options to choose from, many of the UCI are very different, get what works for you. My S9 is perfect for me right now, and I have a harder time operating an iPod Touch than it. It scrolls faster, plays music from the file brower, playback controls everywhere, ect.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #643 of 3,200
why do i have the feeling that black j3 will sound better?
confused_face_2.gif
This happens with all my mp3players. I like the white but i have this feeling.
L3000.gif

Can anyone who has it, can tel me if it gets dirty easy?

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #645 of 3,200

Quote:
Where is the best place to buy the J3 in Japan? 

Ah! A fellow Swede in Japan! Trevligt att råkas!

You can find Cowon players at places like Yodobashi Camera and BIC camera. Those places are a bit expensive, though. However,  I do not know if there are cheaper places that are not online. In Sweden, the cheapest 32GB J3 you can find, according to Prisjakt.nu, is about 2850 SEK from MP3shop.se (there are cheaper places, but MP3shop.se seems to get better customer reviews).

At both BIC camera and Yodobashi camera, the 32GB J3 costs about 30.000 yen. I suppose the 32GB J3 costs about 400 SEK less in more expensive Japanese shops than in the cheapest online shops in Sweden...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back