Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #2,836 of 3,200
I agree the Cowon is very portable, long lasting battery, more power then most players out there and its EQ is very nice. Pair it with a custom earphone and it will destroy many top end multiple bricks out there.
Quote:
With the J3, you would likely want to color it's clear analytical sound with a bit of warmth.  Neutral headphones reveal its tonal flaws.  I love the J3 for portable use because I found the perfect solution.  Nothing goes better than it paired with the Brainwavz M2 IEM's.  They fine tune each others weaknesses.

May 1, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2,837 of 3,200
Quote:
With the J3, you would likely want to color it's clear analytical sound with a bit of warmth.  Neutral headphones reveal its tonal flaws.  I love the J3 for portable use because I found the perfect solution.  Nothing goes better than it paired with the Brainwavz M2 IEM's.  They fine tune each others weaknesses.

We'll see - this is where things get completely subjective. Who's to say these tonal flaws you speak of aren't in the recordings themselves? Perhaps it's not a flaw at all, but rather a sound signature that you do not prefer. Neutral headphones tend to reveal the quality of the mastering of a recording, at least that's been my experience. I'm pretty sure a good set of customs will smoke the M2s, but my mileage may vary as they say.

May 1, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #2,841 of 3,200
Quote:
I enjoyed the Cowon D with no amp over the Cowon J3 with no amp.

I'm just going to enjoy my J3 when it arrives instead of getting my panties in a bunch. If I decide I need something better, it'll be the 801 or DX100 - no need to *****foot around with amps, LODs, etc. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy, though. I use a rockboxed ipod 5.5 with no amp, and it sounds really good as long as the recording is of a high standard.

May 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #2,842 of 3,200
^I switched from a Rockbox 5.5 iPod too after listening to my friends Cowon S9. I though I was blown away with the rockbox EQ... Cowon has upsampling and BBE, which are both very good sound improvements.

May 2, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2,843 of 3,200
Quote:
^I switched from a Rockbox 5.5 iPod too after listening to my friends Cowon S9. I though I was blown away with the rockbox EQ... Cowon has upsampling and BBE, which are both very good sound improvements.

Even if the sound quality is only equal to the ipod, the battery life alone makes it worth it for me. It doesn't feel much like a portable device when I have to plug it in almost every day to charge it. Viva la Cowon!

May 2, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #2,844 of 3,200
Very true. The Cowon is extremely portable and I am able to walk and change tracks and adjust the sound while walking. Look into the power on a Cowon compared to a Ipod. The Cowon can push hard to run customs earphones and headphones.
Quote:

Even if the sound quality is only equal to the ipod, the battery life alone makes it worth it for me. It doesn't feel much like a portable device when I have to plug it in almost every day to charge it. Viva la Cowon!

May 2, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #2,845 of 3,200
Quote:
I enjoyed the Cowon D2 with no amp over any Ipod with no amp.

I understand cowons are better than ipods w/ out amps for either of them, but my big big question is how much better will an ipod with lod to amp sound, compared to a j3 to amp. Basically it comes down to ( ipod classic, 2stepdance, CLAS ) VERSUS (cowon j3, 2stepdance, CLAS )

May 2, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #2,846 of 3,200
The Cowon.
Quote:
I understand cowons are better than ipods w/ out amps for either of them, but my big big question is how much better will an ipod with lod to amp sound, compared to a j3 to amp. Basically it comes down to ( ipod classic, 2stepdance, CLAS ) VERSUS (cowon j3, 2stepdance, CLAS )

May 2, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #2,847 of 3,200
J3 is a fine player, but I still prefer the rockboxed ipod video after having the J3 for about 2 wks. Yes J3 has more power and you can crank up the vol, but the I never need to crank up to the max on ipod. I even put the ipod in a dock connected to my dvd player, I didn't hear too much difference in the normal vol on my ipod.

What I like the RB'd ipod is the improved sound stage, clarity and dynamic range (3D imaging). That sound flavor just keeps drawing me back to the ipod.

May 2, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #2,848 of 3,200
Quote:
J3 is a fine player, but I still prefer the rockboxed ipod video after having the J3 for about 2 wks. Yes J3 has more power and you can crank up the vol, but the I never need to crank up to the max on ipod. I even put the ipod in a dock connected to my dvd player, I didn't hear too much difference in the normal vol on my ipod.

What I like the RB'd ipod is the improved sound stage, clarity and dynamic range (3D imaging). That sound flavor just keeps drawing me back to the ipod.

Did you play around with the BBE effects? 

May 2, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #2,850 of 3,200
Quote:
Yes I played around the BBE's and I prefer flat sounding.

Which is a total opposite of me. Flat sounding (as in no BBE-effects or EQ) is the setting that would keep me off this DAP. The EQ and BBE effects are really what makes this player stand out in terms of audio quality. So, if it wasn't for those things, I would buy another DAP. Plus, the battery life is really very good for a DAP. Every other week, my battery meter goes down to 75%, and that's when I recharge it.

That said, I only use it when commuting to and from university. At home I use my computer as source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back