Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #2,806 of 3,200
Quote:
Well, ****. I agonized for a long time between a Sony A867 and a Cowon J3. Got the Sony A867 and I'm dissapointed as hell with the bass output of it. My A828 produces way more and better bass than it. So I guess I have to get a J3 and try that too. Thanks to both.

Buying the J3 a year ago, and the Ety ER-4P 2 yrs ago, were the 2 best decisions I have made in the past 2 years.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #2,807 of 3,200
L3000.gif

Quote:
I do hope your impressions improve over time, because it is a fantastic little player. 

The battery life is what really sold it for me though. Not having to charge it every 2-4 days is big. I basically charge it every week to 2 weeks. And that is why I love it so. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #2,808 of 3,200
Well I have no complaints about the radio (always want that feature), video (avi is the king) and battery.

Sure I will play more and learn more about the hardware-based EQ's.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2,809 of 3,200

Quote:

Well, ****. I agonized for a long time between a Sony A867 and a Cowon J3. Got the Sony A867 and I'm dissapointed as hell with the bass output of it. My A828 produces way more and better bass than it. So I guess I have to get a J3 and try that too. Thanks to both.

Just so you know, I find the bass on the A828 to be a bit better than the bass of the J3 too.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #2,810 of 3,200

Quote:
Quote:

Buying the J3 a year ago, and the Ety ER-4P 2 yrs ago, were the 2 best decisions I have made in the past 2 years.

That is good to hear. I have been thinking about getting a Ety for analytical portable IEMs... to compliment my "real" sounding HJE900s. I've recently decided to go for ER-4Ps. You have just confirmed my choice, I thank you.

Now to gather the money to buy them....

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2,811 of 3,200

Quote:

That is good to hear. I have been thinking about getting a Ety for analytical portable IEMs... to compliment my "real" sounding HJE900s. I've recently decided to go for ER-4Ps. You have just confirmed my choice, I thank you.

I am not so enthuastic about my hje900 with my cowon j3. Many saying that the mids are recessed coz this sounds more natural to the ear but for me it sounds a bit dull

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #2,812 of 3,200

Quote:

I am not so enthuastic about my hje900 with my cowon j3. Many saying that the mids are recessed coz this sounds more natural to the ear but for me it sounds a bit dull

Flat? Yeah, I'd agree. I've used the
EQ a bit to compensate. Flat certainly doesn't sound bad, but I think the slight warmness of the j3 accentuates the recessed mids giving it a more dull sound than would be expected. On a more neutral source the difference is clearly evident.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #2,813 of 3,200
You just enjoy rereading your words lots of talk talk talk which can be easily said with much fewer words. If no like then no use it.
Quote:

Here is the problem though. It isn't that he does not like the sound, he is affixing a reason to it without evidence of it. It is just supposition which can easily be misinformation. It wasn't that he stated the issue without reason, he gave reason without evidence, stating that "professional" friends said it was the case and thus must be true. That is just not stating an observable phenomenon, but affixing an reason without a reproducible experiment CONFIRMING the source. I'm sorry, but that perpetuates misinformation which I cannot agree with. Either determine the source with a reproducible experiment or don't theorize about the source of the problem. It's that simple. It isn't EVEN the DAC conversion, because the DAC is channel independent. So he was straight up WRONG, either he or his "professional" friends were at least. That was easily provable from just looking at the schematics. The source of the mixing was elsewhere. And as I said, considering that is the case, it is very likely a software problem rather than a hardware problem, because Wolfson is WELL KNOWN for creating high quality DACs, so Cowon can probably fix the issue with a bit of work. The fact that he fixed it to a DAC conversion problem was misinformation and that should not be the case here on Head-fi, either you know the source of the issue or you don't. Never should there be a case where someone gives an educated guess about something with a piece of equipment and passes it off as unequivocal fact. If it was opinion or supposition he should have stated it as thus or linked to the proof. He did neither. That is a very serious issue with me. Its the same as people recommending headphones without ever hearing them (I'm looking at you ATH-M50). All it does is give people wrong information which lessens the quality of this forum. I joined this forum because it was a source of very good and accurate information about headphones, sources and the like, but now, it seems that people are more increasingly talking BS to gain a better reputation within the community. 

OK... So a few things... Rockboxed iPod 5.5 sounds *very* good. However, I don't think the two can be compared due to power and chip differences. I actually agree that the Rockboxed iPod 5.5 sounds more neutral, just a bit. But its not that bad, and easily fixable with the hardware based EQ of the Cowon. Once you get used to using the EQ of the Cowon there is no going back. I've always said, that Cowon is for the music enthusiast whom loves to EQ, but there are other players that are better for pure audio enjoyment at neutral settings. 

The flap over the port... It is not the best built, but it does last. Mine is starting to come off a bit, but I could easily fix that with a drop of super glue. I've had the player for a while (I don't even remember since when to be honest, but more than a year certainly, probably close to two)

The CD.... Really? Mine came with one... it was at the bottom of the box that the player came in. I'd look again and take EVERYTHING OUT. Its a small mini Disc. 

UI can be changed. I personally like Kizune's work which also has playlist support, but no Cue files unfortunately. But it doesn't take that much effort to make new playlists within Kizune's UIs. 

The playback buttons are perfect for me since I have the player almost always in my pocket. I've never accidentally pressed anything. However if that is an issue, you can set up a playlist in Kizune's UI and lock everything which should fix the issue. 

The reason why it keeps playing when headphones are unplugged is due to limitations in the firmware. It was designed to switch to speaker. It isn't a more advanced OS like iOS or Android. So it will keep playing as if it was going to switch even if you have it set not to. Its a small annoyance though, and not a big deal, at least I haven't found reason to take issue yet. 

Locking it is simply a matter of hitting the power button 3 times. 

Hiss noises? Depends on the settings. If you play around  a bit you'll find that it is quite differential depending on your settings. Though doing certain things does make some static, but its not across the board. 

Honestly, I'll pay a bit more for hardware based EQ than software based, it just works better IMO. But that is me. I like that feature. 

I do hope your impressions improve over time, because it is a fantastic little player. 

The battery life is what really sold it for me though. Not having to charge it every 2-4 days is big. I basically charge it every week to 2 weeks. And that is why I love it so. 

PS: yes, for my big hands it is a bit small, but again pocket + buttons = works. 

I hope I helped a bit.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #2,814 of 3,200

Quote:
You just enjoy rereading your words lots of talk talk talk which can be easily said with much fewer words. If no like then no use it.

Do you really not get it...? It wasn't that he was saying that he didn't like it, he was spreading misinformation on the source of an observable problem, which has no place here. Either back up your claims, or just state what you observed. And as you said, don't use the device if you don't like it. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #2,815 of 3,200
J3 froze while I was trying to play a newly loaded folder with flac's. So I had to reset and reboot. Tried again and froze again. So I gave up and deleted the whole folder.  Have you guys encountered any frozen screens? These are the same files I have been playing with RB'd ipod video without problems.

Also the "lock" appears only locking the screen but has no effect on the playback buttons. Is this correct?

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #2,816 of 3,200

Quote:
J3 froze while I was trying to play a newly loaded folder with flac's. So I had to reset and reboot. Tried again and froze again. So I gave up and deleted the whole folder.  Have you guys encountered any frozen screens? These are the same files I have been playing with RB'd ipod video without problems.

Also the "lock" appears only locking the screen but has no effect on the playback buttons. Is this correct?

Do you have an Apple computer? In that case, you have to upgrade the firmware to 2.28.

Also, I haven't experienced your problem, not in the way you described it. However, I did have a faulty file on my player once, which caused it to malfunction at a specific time in the song. After investigating the file integrity, the fault was on the file; it was definitely faulty. Since you bought a used unit there is also a risk that your HDD might be damaged. Since the HDD is simply a HDD you try to scan the disk for errors. You can also format the disk if you want to, it won't mess your player up in any way. Just make sure you format it into FAT32.

As for the lock, that is correct. The lock only locks the screen, not the playback buttons on the side.

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #2,817 of 3,200

Quote:

Do you have an Apple computer? In that case, you have to upgrade the firmware to 2.28.

Also, I haven't experienced your problem, not in the way you described it. However, I did have a faulty file on my player once, which caused it to malfunction at a specific time in the song. After investigating the file integrity, the fault was on the file; it was definitely faulty. Since you bought a used unit there is also a risk that your HDD might be damaged. Since the HDD is simply a HDD you try to scan the disk for errors. You can also format the disk if you want to, it won't mess your player up in any way. Just make sure you format it into FAT32.

As for the lock, that is correct. The lock only locks the screen, not the playback buttons on the side.

I googled "cowon j3 freeze" and there are tons of reported issues with freezing. So it does not appear to be hard drive related issue. I can play other folders including music and videos without issues. I suspect it may have something to do the the length of the folder and file names. Anyways after I deleted that folder, no more freeze encountered.

It doesn't appear I will keep the J3 for very long. Not that it's not good, I can see the RB'd ipod video serves me better for my personal preference.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #2,818 of 3,200

Quote:

I haven't had an issue with that... But I think I may know why. Were the flacs 192 or 96 kHz/24bit? Or another higher quality that the J3 could not decode? If so, it probably froze because of that. Try converting into a lower flac bitrate. I think 44khz/16bit is playable on the J3.  IF I RECALL CORRECTLY, the J3 simply cannot decode the 24bit flac files.

Here is some back up for that http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/codecs/WM8960/ --> "Sample rates: 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48"

You can change the lock to affect the buttons in the settings... Settings > System > Hold Mode. There you will be given a choice between Touch Screen only or All. All locks all buttons except the power/hold button (obviously).

Also in settings is the option to set it so that it never uses the speaker, always uses the speaker or only when headphones are not plugged in. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #2,820 of 3,200

Quote:

I haven't had an issue with that... But I think I may know why. Were the flacs 192 or 96 kHz/24bit? Or another higher quality that the J3 could not decode? If so, it probably froze because of that. Try converting into a lower flac bitrate. I think 44khz/16bit is playable on the J3.  IF I RECALL CORRECTLY, the J3 simply cannot decode the 24bit flac files.

Here is some back up for that http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/codecs/WM8960/ --> "Sample rates: 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48"

You can change the lock to affect the buttons in the settings... Settings > System > Hold Mode. There you will be given a choice between Touch Screen only or All. All locks all buttons except the power/hold button (obviously).

Also in settings is the option to set it so that it never uses the speaker, always uses the speaker or only when headphones are not plugged in. 

same here. i accidently loaded some 96 k?Hz files and it freezes when that song comes up so thats probably why. great tip with the lock too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back