Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #2,776 of 3,200

Quote:
I was saying the J3 has improper Digital to Analog conversion which results in diminished soundstage.  I wasn't saying anything about the IEMs.  I was saying that the things you were praising with the iPod might be a disappointment with the J3 potentially and that the only potential redeeming factor in this sense would be the Stereo Enhancement feature in combination with IEM's.

Please justify this assertion with evidence. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #2,777 of 3,200
Is it true that the J3 may not connect properly with Win7 64bit? All I've got is computers with that OS... I've heard of trouble and I think AMP3 even cautioned about this on their website.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #2,778 of 3,200

Quote:
Is it true that the J3 may not connect properly with Win7 64bit? All I've got is computers with that OS... I've heard of trouble and I think AMP3 even cautioned about this on their website.

I haven't heard of this problem before. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, there hasn't been a problem in the year i've had the J3.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #2,779 of 3,200
Well look at the OP of this thread and you can see how frustrated he was and eventually he gave up on the J3.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #2,780 of 3,200
You have to push the cable into the J3 pretty hard the first couple times. A lot of people don't realize how far it goes in, and then there isn't a proper connection.

I really hope that isn't the cable issue he had.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #2,781 of 3,200

Quote:
Please justify this assertion with evidence. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Play something that goes from far-right to far-left or vice versa like Queen's "The Millionaire Waltz".  With accurate headphones, you'll see that the sound gets mixed with right or left depending on which side it's supposed to be playing from. 

You can test by only having the side that's NOT supposed to be playing anything on, while the other side not.  You shouldn't hear anything. 

You can also test how far left/right it sounds relatively, like relative to a FiiO DAC, the Macbook Pro, the iPad 2, and/or a mid-range Onkyo receiver.  That's just stuff that I have and know work properly when it comes to that.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2,782 of 3,200
I don't see how that has anything to do with digital to analog conversion. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #2,784 of 3,200

Quote:
Play something that goes from far-right to far-left or vice versa like Queen's "The Millionaire Waltz".  With accurate headphones, you'll see that the sound gets mixed with right or left depending on which side it's supposed to be playing from. 

You can test by only having the side that's NOT supposed to be playing anything on, while the other side not.  You shouldn't hear anything. 

You can also test how far left/right it sounds relatively, like relative to a FiiO DAC, the Macbook Pro, the iPad 2, and/or a mid-range Onkyo receiver.  That's just stuff that I have and know work properly when it comes to that.

I do not know where you get these theories from, but it sounds like total BS.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #2,785 of 3,200

Quote:
I do not know where you get these theories from, but it sounds like total BS.

What?...  Ok..  The only part which could be off is the cause being the DAC.  Talking to a few people, that seems to be the most likely reason.  It could be something else but apart from that, it is what it is.  It's not a theory.  It's an observation which can easily be tested by the means which I suggested.  Nothing complicated here on that front. 

The only BS thing here is your face! XD

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #2,786 of 3,200

Quote:
What?...  Ok..  The only part which could be off is the cause being the DAC.  Talking to a few people, that seems to be the most likely reason.  It could be something else but apart from that, it is what it is.  It's not a theory.  It's an observation which can easily be tested by the means which I suggested.  Nothing complicated here on that front. 

The only BS thing here is your face! 

You based your assertion on what "a few people" told you, and even qualified it by saying "it seems to be the most likely reason." Then you admit it could be something else. That is textbook BS.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #2,787 of 3,200

Quote:
You based your assertion on what "a few people" told you, and even qualified it by saying "it seems to be the most likely reason." Then you admit it could be something else. That is textbook BS.

WHAT?!  Ok, first of all, the few random people were people who do this for a living.  No reason to get more specific as that's besides the point.  What I said seems to be the most likely reason is that it's the DAC.  In the end, it doesn't even screwing matter what the source of the problem is; what matters is that it's an issue in the first place.  I didn't even have to suggest what may be the reason for the problem.  In that case, you wouldn't even have anything to call "BS"... 

Freakin' dense people, wow... 
"Oh no, my precious Cowon has a fault!  I will try to deny the problem by throwing pointless words instead of going to see for myself!"

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2,788 of 3,200

Quote:
WHAT?!  Ok, first of all, the few random people were people who do this for a living.  No reason to get more specific as that's besides the point.  What I said seems to be the most likely reason is that it's the DAC.  In the end, it doesn't even screwing matter what the source of the problem is; what matters is that it's an issue in the first place.  I didn't even have to suggest what may be the reason for the problem.  In that case, you wouldn't even have anything to call "BS"... 

Hi Typhoon895,
Are you able to explain what the nature of the problem is with the DAC where it does not properly separate left and right channels?
Do you know if it the particular choice of DAC chip, or the specific implementation that has been engineered?
Have your contacts that "do this for a living" tested the circuit to analyse the problem?  Any good techie should have been able to measure cross channel leakage with some stereo test tracks and measuring equipment (even a sensitive voltmeter).
The Cowon website does not seem to state the stereo separation specification, so I am interested in this...

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #2,789 of 3,200

Quote:

I have had Win 7 Proffessional 64-bit since before it was even officially released (through Dreamspark, though it was named MSDN at the time), and I have had no problems at all. None, what so ever.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #2,790 of 3,200

Quote:

Let's entertain this notion of the DAC chip a second.... http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/codecs/WM8960/ that is the chip used. Considering that this is the case, testing for leakage in circuit leakage should be theoretically very easy. If it is true I can think of two places where it would occur based on the schematics (I'm just basing this on what little I know of digital circuitry)... 1) is in the Digital Audio Interface, and 2) the digital filters. If it is the former, its an issue with the DAC. I do NOT think this is the case. Why? Wolfson is well known for quality in their chips. They wouldn't screw up something so simple. If it is the latter it could be the software that is doing the digital filtering. Even if filtering is off, that is software dictated and if the software is screwing up the channel separation, then it is not the fault of the DAC but Cowon and should theoretically be fixable. Either way it is testable. Just determining the problem and creating a theory on why it is happening without proving it through testing is idiotic. That is not how it works, its the basic principles of the scientific method. If I write a journal article about a phenomenon, go up to a review board and present a known phenomenon and my theory on why it happens, and then proceed to say why I'm right without having created a reproducible experiment that demonstrates the phenomenon and its cause... I'll be thrown out within 5 minutes. They'll probably laugh too. 

If anyone knows more, please feel free to chime in and correct me. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back