Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,746 of 3,200
I understand more now, I love Cowons but maybe you will enjoy the DX100 from iBasso. I have it and boy this DAP has it all.

Quote:
Well, I was just talking about things like proper Digital to Analog conversion, line-out (for the type of player that it is), and having a decent analog tone. I mean, you can't blame me for thinking that it would have all factors at least as good as Apple portable players. I mean, as I said, limited soundstage due to the source is a very low-end issue and usually a problem when not taken into consideration. If you're not thinking about it when designing, you will likely miss it and that shouldn't be a flaw ANYTHING should have, yet alone a device specifically designed for music.

Yes, I actually checked it out before you even made this response just now. All is good and well until I saw the price tag. Kind of separate from the realm of reason XD

EDIT: I also only like Android starting from version 3.0.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #2,747 of 3,200

I hate Android but the sound from this is awesome the most detailed and clean sounds I ev er heard. Sound stage is breaking new grounds and enough power to power the biggest headphones. I myself am using the Future Sonics MG6Pro dynamic customs and the bass is so hard and deep hitting.
Quote:
Yes, I actually checked it out before you even made this response just now. All is good and well until I saw the price tag. Kind of separate from the realm of reason XD
EDIT: I also only like Android starting from version 3.0.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,748 of 3,200

Quote:
Cowons have 2 times the watts then any Ipod. You can be a fan of do nothing but turn on and listen. You might believe using the EQ will color the sound then Enjoy non colored music. For me if the song calls for bass and I do not hear the bass I will not raise the volume in order to hear it but a little adjustment on the EQ will provide it for me. Many can make listening to music as a job and many do enjoy thise job but my main goal is pleasure and a smile. if me using the EQ makes the music not clear then I will not use it but from my 28 years of buying music equipment I have not experienced this. iBasso now has the Dx100 which plays 24 bit/196 music with a built in amp. Ipod have like 12 to 20 MWatts while this iBasso Dx100 has 245MWatts. the Cowons have 74MWatts.

Can you explain to me what difference the watts make to the sound quality? I only use the DAP's for portable music (i.e. with IEM's).

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #2,749 of 3,200
The right amount of power (Watts) will make the music coming out of the earphones fuller. Some earphones depend on more power then others.

Quote:
Can you explain to me what difference the watts make to the sound quality? I only use the DAP's for portable music (i.e. with IEM's).

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #2,750 of 3,200
The price and battery life (mostly price) is what prevents me from getting the DX100. 8 hours of battery life would annoy the hell out of me at that price, but that's just me.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #2,751 of 3,200
I agree with you it is not cheap and 8 hrs for some people who have 8 hrs to listen to music is not enough. I myself walk 2.5 hrs everyday with the Dx100 and I am on the train for 40 mins as well and I have no problems. Also if you want the BEST sounding portable player it will be the DX100. The Cowons are also very nice and I have 2 Cowons for over 5 years.

Quote:
The price and battery life (mostly price) is what prevents me from getting the DX100. 8 hours of battery life would annoy the hell out of me at that price, but that's just me.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #2,752 of 3,200

Quote:

It drives the headphones better and provides more fullness to the sound.  Instead of balancing the frequency range by boosting with EQ (the lower you go, the more power you need), it powers those ranges and gives you a more natural sound. 

To take it to an extreme and to sort of give a visual, think of it as what you would imagine the difference would be between the feel of huge speakers in theater vs. some computer speakers that you plug in with a 3.5mm out from a desktop.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #2,753 of 3,200
So the J3 should be better against a stand-alone Ipod, but an Ipod can leapfrog it with a decent amp rather easily. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2,755 of 3,200
Thanks guys for the explanations on the "watts". I shall personally hear what the difference is in a few days after I receive the J3. Now I have raised my expectations.
wink_face.gif

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #2,756 of 3,200

Quote:
I agree with you it is not cheap and 8 hrs for some people who have 8 hrs to listen to music is not enough. I myself walk 2.5 hrs everyday with the Dx100 and I am on the train for 40 mins as well and I have no problems. Also if you want the BEST sounding portable player it will be the DX100. The Cowons are also very nice and I have 2 Cowons for over 5 years.

How is the DX100 compared to the J3 in terms SQ without EQ's or external amps? more sound stage, dynamic range, clarity, fullness or something else?

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #2,757 of 3,200

The Dx100 is an external amp with a player it is both all in 1 unit. Cowons are a big improvement over Ipods and the Dx100 is a very huge improvement over all the players.
Quote:
How is the DX100 compared to the J3 in terms SQ without EQ's or external amps? more sound stage, dynamic range, clarity, fullness or something else?

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #2,758 of 3,200

Quote:
Quote:
So the J3 should be better against a stand-alone Ipod, but an Ipod can leapfrog it with a decent amp rather easily. 

I have been there, tried that. If you want to go to the gym or for a run outside, good luck taking a portable amp with you. If you travel and want to travel light, good luck with an additional amp. I tried that and from Beyerdynamic T5ps, Sony X and Meier Stepdance combo I moved to a DAP with IEMs and I am not going back to luggin a few kilograms of gear. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #2,760 of 3,200

Quote:
The Dx100 is an external amp with a player it is both all in 1 unit. Cowons are a big improvement over Ipods and the Dx100 is a very huge improvement over all the players.

Can you be more specific with the "big" and "huge" improvements in SQ? Do you mean everything is improved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back