Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #2,718 of 3,200
I wouldn't care about any software EQ's (aka digital manipulations), but I am interested in hardware EQ's (if feasible and available).

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,719 of 3,200
I am not sure but i think your wrong.. Cowon J3 is one of the few daps that its EQ is in the hardware.

Both statements are right. The EQ itself is implemented on the hardware whereas BBE and BBE+ are software-based.

If you don't believe me: The Cowon S9 was originally released with jetEffect 2.0 (no Reverb), but with a later firmware update Cowon upgraded it to jetEffect 3.0 which introduced Reverb.
And another example: You can turn your D2 (with BBE) to a D2+ (with BBE+).

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,720 of 3,200

Quote:
Both statements are right. The EQ itself is implemented on the hardware whereas BBE and BBE+ are software-based.
If you don't believe me: The Cowon S9 was originally released with jetEffect 2.0 (no Reverb), but with a later firmware update Cowon upgraded it to jetEffect 3.0 which introduced Reverb.

Well i guess everything needs software dosnt it?
bigsmile_face.gif
Otherwise we will be switching knobs everytime we want more bass
rolleyes.gif
. But i think that Lostid is looking for a kind of EQ that our J3 has, am i correct on this?

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #2,721 of 3,200
Yup, correct.

However, the BBE+ effects are the perfect example of just how good software manipulation can be when done right. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2,722 of 3,200
Personally I don't care about any digital manipulations. I like flat and unaltered sounding for the recordings.

However, I heard the bass and treble adjustments in rockboxed ipods are hardware based (only available for those with wolfson chips). I am not sure if this is true.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #2,723 of 3,200
Does anybody know of a CIEM that pairs well with the J3? I haven't been able to find an answer so far...

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #2,724 of 3,200

Quote:
Does anybody know of a CIEM that pairs well with the J3? I haven't been able to find an answer so far...

I have read posts from more than one person who loved their JH5 with the J3, though I'm sure any entry level would pair very well with it.  Going to a higher end model may be questionable since the J3 can't compare to high-end sources. 

Custom IEM's should be chosen mainly on the sound sig you want, they're all just BA IEM's with sound sig differences just like universals.  I'd say stick to the models that use one driver per crossover frequency path.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2,725 of 3,200
This may be a dim-witted question, but would an impedance adapter help the J3 pair with an upper-tier CIEM?  I'm hoping to eventually get feedback from a significant number of people who say "This CIEM sounds AWWWEEESOOMMMME with the J3!" I think pairing components isn't discussed on head-fi as much as it could be...we (and by we, I mean people who actually know what the heck they're talking about) ought to approach the pairing of headphones, amps, daps and such the same way sommeliers pair wines with food....I'm pretty sure we have the same level of enthusiasm.

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #2,726 of 3,200
I've only known impedance adapters to be used with sources that were too powerful for IEM's.  The impedance adapter allowed more normal use of the volume control and removed any hiss/noise floor that was apparent.

I don't think you would want an impedance adapter with the J3.  The J3 amp is one of the best on a PMP and sounds clean, balanced, and detailed at every volume step. 

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2,727 of 3,200
I also agree pairing could be talked about more.  I remember the IE8 and Sony X series was a pairing that was extremely popular (and for good reason).  I constantly debate whether or not to go back to a Sony with my IE8, but there are too many perks with the J3.

Apr 14, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #2,730 of 3,200
A question from someone new to Cowon. The Crystal Clear setting is BBE and thus hardware based?

Read my post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back