Closed Headphones for ~$200?
Oct 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tominated

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some closed headphones to use at work. I would use my MS-1is but they would annoy the hell out of my co-workers. Currently I am using my etymotic IEMs, but they are kinda uncomfortable after an hour or so.

I primarily listen to indie, post and alternative rock. You can get a better idea of my music taste from my last.fm. I honestly don't know how to describe the sound that I like, but I'll try anyway. I like it when everything is balanced (not super bassy or trebley - i don't think that's a word). I would be driving them from my macbook, and probably wont be getting an amp unless absolutely necessary (and I can get the amp and headphones for under $300).

Any suggestions? I am ordering them from Australia, and my absolute max for the headphones, including shipping, would be $250 USD.

Any suggestions are really appreciated! Thanks!

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 5
Sennheiser HD25-1 II. Their treble runs a little hot, but they really sound killer with everything, and you don't need to amp them through your computer. Best in it's price range, IMO.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some closed headphones to use at work. I would use my MS-1is but they would annoy the hell out of my co-workers. Currently I am using my etymotic IEMs, but they are kinda uncomfortable after an hour or so.

I primarily listen to indie, post and alternative rock. You can get a better idea of my music taste from my last.fm. I honestly don't know how to describe the sound that I like, but I'll try anyway. I like it when everything is balanced (not super bassy or trebley - i don't think that's a word). I would be driving them from my macbook, and probably wont be getting an amp unless absolutely necessary (and I can get the amp and headphones for under $300).

Any suggestions? I am ordering them from Australia, and my absolute max for the headphones, including shipping, would be $250 USD.

Any suggestions are really appreciated! Thanks!

Heya,

Some suggestions:

Brainwavz HM5 (MP4nation.net), ships world wide. Excellent for your needs.
Shure SRH840
Philips Uptowns
Beyer DT770 250ohm Premium, pair with Fiio E10.
AKG K271 MK II or AKG K272 HD or AKG K550
AudioTechnica A700X & A900X
Sony MDR7506 & MDRZX700

All of them would be great from your laptop most likely; but if you wanted to make things discreet and have more options for warmth, I would pair up with an inexpensive Fiio E10 (USB DAC/AMP).

Very best,

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Heya,

Some suggestions:

Brainwavz HM5 (MP4nation.net), ships world wide. Excellent for your needs.
Shure SRH840
Philips Uptowns
Beyer DT770 250ohm Premium, pair with Fiio E10.
AKG K271 MK II or AKG K272 HD or AKG K550
AudioTechnica A700X & A900X
Sony MDR7506 & MDRZX700

All of them would be great from your laptop most likely; but if you wanted to make things discreet and have more options for warmth, I would pair up with an inexpensive Fiio E10 (USB DAC/AMP).

Very best,

Thanks for the list! Out of those, the beyers are looking the nicest. I guess I can put in a bit of extra money for an amp :p

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 5
Just put in the order on amazon. Had to use a post forwarder :/ It's twice as expensive in australia and they wont ship them here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back