Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #17,206 of 35,472
Is that obravo $1400usd or $1400 won
  An innovative hybrid iem: world's first 10mm dynamic driver + 8mm planar magnetic tweeter. 
From a Taiwan company (Obravo Audio), reviewed in Korean magazine. 
Look so attractive, guys !
http://www.mofi.co.kr/board/brd_mofi_view_n10.asp?table=brd_10251&pid=30672&f_lid=200675&lid=100&level=0&brdcat=050&ishtml=c&p_f_lid=200682&p_lid=100
Price maybe 1400$ in Korea....

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #17,209 of 35,472
Aug 21, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #17,210 of 35,472
  I recently bought a Havi B3 Pro-1 and I'm not excited by its sound. It's clear for an IEM, but is relatively thin and seriously lacks bass without heavy EQ. In short, it isn't even remotely competitive with any of my non-IEM headphones, including even the least ambitious ones like the Sennheiser PX100. Is there any chance that any of the IEMs mentioned here would be better than the Havi, or should I just give up on the concept of IEM? I'm not going to buy anything more expensive than the Havi just to find out...

Sorry to hear that. For me, the B3 pretty much killed or at least was on par with pretty much ANY headphone I tried while having them and that list includes Mad Dogs, HD25-1 II, KEF M200, Aurisonics Rockets and some others as well. As mentioned above, those aim to be as neutral as possible

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #17,211 of 35,472
  I recently bought a Havi B3 Pro-1 and I'm not excited by its sound. It's clear for an IEM, but is relatively thin and seriously lacks bass without heavy EQ. In short, it isn't even remotely competitive with any of my non-IEM headphones, including even the least ambitious ones like the Sennheiser PX100. Is there any chance that any of the IEMs mentioned here would be better than the Havi, or should I just give up on the concept of IEM? I'm not going to buy anything more expensive than the Havi just to find out...

I haven't tried Havi so far, but I've heard that they need a good source to really shine. Maybe that's what happened? What source did you use? 
As someone that is used to some pricier IEM's (Earsonics Velvet, Shure SE846, JH Roxanne, etc) and full size cans (Q701, Philips X2, Sennheiser HD800, HE560), I can't agree that full size headphones are just better than IEMs. That's is a discussion that is quite common in this forum, and I really suggest that you try a couple more, experience a bit more and then take a conclusion. Both have their pros and cons.
You may be loosing quite a bit of fun if you give up just now!

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #17,212 of 35,472
those aim to be as neutral as possible

No, they aren't. Roll-off on both sides and a lot of harmonic distortion.
You can like they sound, but they aren't neutral (or natural).

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #17,214 of 35,472
@RedJohn456, I'm using the Havi with a FiiO X3-II set to High gain. It drives my DT990-250Ohm easily, so I don't think power is an issue. Speaking of the DT990, they are my favorite headphones, so you could say that their sound signature is close to what I like (though I do sometimes use EQ to bring down the treble a bit). I am getting a good seal with the Havi using the foam tips. For some odd reason the ear hooks seem to improve the sound, though it could be some other change (I'm constantly tampering with the EQ and fit). 

I mostly listen to jazz, but also some rock and metal. As for budget, I didn't have anything specific in mind. It just that reading the last few pages of this thread there are user opinions about headphones that are less expensive than the Havi and that reportedly sound great (some by made by brands I've never heard of). It's quite tempting and not too risky an experiment, but the selection is large.

@Ofir, your glowing recommendation of the Havi and the headphones you compare them with makes me think that I shouldn't give up on them just yet. Maybe some burn in and further tweaking is needed? As I mentioned above, I do hear clear improvements using the ear hooks and not being shy on EQ, even if it means raising the lower bands to levels I've never used with other headphones. It does make them sound much better, even if some would consider it to be against the rules :wink:

@Starfield, not giving up on IEMs just yet. That's one reason I follow this thread. I'm very intrigued by the JVC HA-FXH30 ($60) and Zero Audio Tenore ZH-DX200-CT ($35). Too bad there's no way to try IEMs before buying (though I wouldn't want to try them anyway without new tips).

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #17,215 of 35,472

The DT990 has enhanced bass with a v shape sound signature right? The havi won't fit your tastes in that case. Also, the foam reduces treble energy, so that will make it worse for metal and Jazz (both of whom which need good treble) I personally listened to a lot of metal on my Havi but because of the laid back sound signature and clarity.

I haven't heard a lot of these but these are the names that come to mind, might be worth it to keep em on your list:
- Ostry Kc06 or Kc06a
- VSonic VSD3 (I have, is enjoyable and has a nice sound), VSD3S (less bass I think)
- VSonic VSD5
- McCaw GTS 100

Avoid the tenore, they have notoriously bad quality control (there is a term for it TTS or typical tenore syndrome). And from what I hear they have a laid back treble with good extension, so it might not work as well for jazz and metal

I am sure others can recommend a greater variety. But those are some of the more tried and tested ones imo

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #17,216 of 35,472
Yes, the DT990 sound is considered V shaped, but I personally don't feel they have too much bass (which is something I can't say about their highs). It's funny, I never considered myself to be a bass head. As it turns out, I might just be.

Thanks for the suggestions for alternative IEMs. Time to read some reviews :)

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #17,217 of 35,472
  Yes, the DT990 sound is considered V shaped, but I personally don't feel they have too much bass (which is something I can't say about their highs). It's funny, I never considered myself to be a bass head. As it turns out, I might just be.

Thanks for the suggestions for alternative IEMs. Time to read some reviews :)

Not a bad thing to be a bass head, I am a bass head too. Oddly enough it was the Havi that made helped me appreciate quality bass more than quantity. 

Midbass emphasis just doesn't do it for me anymore :wink:

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #17,218 of 35,472
@Starfield, not giving up on IEMs just yet. That's one reason I follow this thread. I'm very intrigued by the JVC HA-FXH30 ($60) and Zero Audio Tenore ZH-DX200-CT ($35). Too bad there's no way to try IEMs before buying (though I wouldn't want to try them anyway without new tips).

Take a chance and order the FXH30. They are fantastic earphones, easily on the level of the Dunu Titan 1 @115 USD (better to me) and at almost half the price to boot (mind you the Titan's do come with a much more extensive accessory kit if that's important to you).

Aug 22, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #17,220 of 35,472
At last - my sample Gediao "IEMs?" have arrived at my Chinese "friend"..!
AND, I got them for free! Only have to pay the international shipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back