Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #35,237 of 35,472
Been burning-in the KZ-ZST since this morning here in China and I got to say vocals are starting to sound pretty surreal for their price range and the soundstage is starting to really open up! ....The bass is superb! I'm going to continue to play them through the week and hopefully write a review by next week. KZ has done an excellent job for their very first hybrid!

.....DO NOT judge them at first try, they really do open up after a few hours later! I'll give more impressions here and then, during the week.
ph34r.gif

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #35,238 of 35,472
I haven't read so much divisiveness in this forum probably ever? It's quite alarming reading so much bitterness. Because what? A few bit on highly regarded earphones and they turned out to disappoint you? Listen, I recently ordered the DQS* D2***, LZ-A2, and LZ-A3s because they were recommended not just in this thread, but the Discovery thread as well. That first unmentionable one by two extremely well regarded and respected members of head-fi. I bit. IMHO those turned out to be unlistenable to me. The treble was so spiky and hot, no manner of DAP or tip rolling (even the spiral dots!!!) could take that runaway treble. I had to get rid of them, and wonder what that hell these two guys were hearing?!?! Then the Lz's, once again recommended by seasoned and respected members, turned out to disappoint me. The LZ's treble are to my ears way too rolled off and smoothed over, like the Tenore treble, for me to enjoy them. Resolution and timbre was also sub par, and soundstage narrow. You know what? I'm not blaming those guys. An awful lot of folks seemed to love that LZ sound, like folks love that smooth dark Tenore treble and resolution. They dig it. It didn't play to my aural sensibilities, but I'm not gonna get mad at the people who recommended those earphones. I'm an adult, and I took the gamble on my own. Even the P1 was bought based on the combination of my gamble and recommendations. Turned out those dynamics disappointed me as well. Great soundstage, immaculate imaging, and lush mids, but rolled off treble and lack of resolution/timbre. I didn't cry because it didn't fit how the reviews came across. I just put them up for sale and tried again. I accepted the disappointment as on me. My bad. Then I got hyped (pun intended) for the **** 4in1, and wow! The sound signature hit the spot! I had to tip roll. The UE600/500 clear silicone tips with the Tingo silver cable made them almost perfect to my ears, and on that sweet sweet timbre. Are they perfect? Nope. Slight sibilance on some tracks, dry mids, and maybe a tad too much bass, but that's a back seat to timbre/resolution/treble extension/and airiness. So try and ease up on some of these Chi-fi reviewers, and just keep hunting. Your 4in1 is right around the corner! Happy hunting!

Very well put. I have all of the above that you mentioned except the P1 and the original unnamed one and I don't regret any of the purchases. I do a lot of research and reading of reviews and have learned to interpret the reviews and make my own decision based on the good and the bad statements. I do have my favorite reviewers who I tend to lean towards but even they are not perfect so I take everything with a grain of salt. I don't post reviews due to my inexperience but I do post impressions if I think what I say will help. To me it's just a fun hobby, and everyone's opinions on sound are different and subjective.

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #35,239 of 35,472
  Been burning-in the KZ-ZST since this morning here in China and I got to say vocals are starting to sound pretty surreal for their price range and the soundstage is starting to really open up! ....The bass is superb! I'm going to continue to play them through the week and hopefully write a review by next week. KZ has done an excellent job for their very first hybrid!

.....DO NOT judge them at first try, they really do open up after a few hours later! I'll give more impressions here and then, during the week.
ph34r.gif

Any comparison with the **** 4in1? Better - worse - different?

Sep 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #35,240 of 35,472
I agree to a certain extent. Aside from people who do reviews and commit to being a resource for people in the market for headphones, there's no sense in having more than a couple pairs of earphones.

If I weren't in this hobby the way I am I would probably have like three or four pairs and give the rest away. At this point I see my inventory as a toolbox rather than a bunch of toys.

Oh, really! what do you mean as a toolbox?
But I understand your excellent reviewers do need a lot of different products as reference.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #35,243 of 35,472

As there is no one iem(TOTL/Mid-fi/low end)  which is perfect suits all music genres. audio123 has suggested TOTL iems to each and everyone and not all have the means to get even one. Lets say you save and get a total iem of your sound preference(note most of TOTL iem are hard to audition unless you go and visit CANJAM)  in range of 1-1.5k are you going to use it for all music and everywhere?
Also its better to climb the ladder than to go and buy a TOTL iem.
a) You appreciate technicalities of TOTL iem that way
b) You dont take a big hit if TOTL iem is not to your sound preference.
If I have 1-1.5K budget I will go for 2-3Mid fi IEMs instead if one TOTL.

This is a great suggestion! To be hoenst, I don't think there is a heaven and earth difference even between a $10 product and a TOTL product. No any cost-effective product are TOTL. So it's wise to have several midfi than a TOTL.

BMW, Mercedes, Audi or VW all in different sizes and different purpose.

I really don't get why someone shouldn't be able to enjoy, buy and collect cheap and mid-priced in-ears and full-sized headphones when he/she already owns one or more expensive/flagship product.

Sure those persons won't use the lower-end stuff for critical stationary listening, but sometimes in-between, on the go, for videos, less demanding/slow music, radio listening or just for fun, why shouldn't they be able to also enjoy the less resolving and cheap stuff?

Totally agree with this. IE80 is not my most favorite one. But in the summer, I use it most since it is detachable cable. On the contrary, what I like more - M200, IE800, are not! And I don't want to ruin their cable when I was sweating. It's also the opportunity that I could use some of my budgeted phones.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #35,244 of 35,472

Definitely, different, but in a very good way. Already seems to compete very well with the HLSX-BK50 with even a bit wider soundstage, but I don't want to get ahead of myself until at least the 100 hour trial.
biggrin.gif
 ....I really, REALLY like them!

So far the 2 KZ IEMs that I bought were excellent value ones. If the KZ ZN1 didnt had that huge ass clunky amplifier i would have kept it.

I ordered the VE Monk and after that it will be a toss up between 4in1 - KST and the XE800. Since there is no stand out IEM around $100-150

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #35,245 of 35,472

So far the 2 KZ IEMs that I bought were excellent value ones. If the KZ ZN1 didnt had that huge ass clunky amplifier i would have kept it.

I ordered the VE Monk and after that it will be a toss up between 4in1 - KST and the XE800. Since there is no stand out IEM around $100-150

Yea, never bought the KZ with the amplifier wondering how to get around with that little square box hanging from my neck.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #35,246 of 35,472

There is. We just aren't allowed to talk about it

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #35,247 of 35,472
I have stopped buying IEMs in the $90-150ish price range from Ali because they more often than not end up being some crazy wonkfest tuning, as I've seen it described before. I think at least for now spending $60 or less can get you some really great bargains. I can't think of anything above the 50-60 price point that I am a big fan of.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #35,248 of 35,472

P2.1 tips suit ok also but JVC spiral dot silicone tips make 4in1 littlebit more balanced and neutral-sided compared to other tips. Huast H10 tips work well also and those You can get from AE for about ~5$ (only with the IEM itself).

Is there any place you can buy the P2.1 tips alone? I also don't wanna spend $16 excl. shipping for tips for a $25 pair of IEMs :)

Any idea if the KZ Acoustics tips can be a good combo with the Senfers ?

Edit: + same questions as the guy above me.

KZ tips are not so comfy and doesn`t sound same good to my ears as JVC Spiral Dot`s. 
As far as I know, they don`t sell P2.1 tips alone and the newer ones seem to have slightly different shape and material.
You can try Huast H10 tips I already recommended - they have wide and long bore, nice quality silicone "cone" skirt and fit is great with most of IEMs. With 4in1 they can be little too long for ppl with shorter ear-canal lentgh and 4in1 weight might cause fit issues with them. But for ~5$ I recommend to get those tips.
In longer perspective, it is useful to get JVC Spiral Dot tips anyway, imho, they help a lot with many IEMs.

To change sound it is mostly fit/isolation for more or less bass. width of the bore (shure vs spiral) usually affects the treble/mids.

Not quite correct. With DD only and BA, it`s different story. Fit and seal does affect bass but it is only bad fit that affects bass.
With DD IEMs, bore size is one of the main factors that affect bass quantity and quality. It actually affects whole spectrum but it is most noticeable in bass. Smaller bore can be 
used with DD IEMs to decrease highs but it usually results also in lifted bass also. Now, another thing is to get right silicone "skirt" material tips. For example, Philips UE tips 
have wide bore and thin soft "skirt", which results noticeably decreased bass and more neutral sound compared to many other same size bore tips (which have thicker "kirt").

With DD+BA it is different story. My practice shows that most BA IEMs actually "smooth out" and slightly decrease highs with larger bore tips. My "theory" is that mostly BA locates in the middle of nozzle and thus narrower bore lets BA to "overshadow" DD behind it. Wider bore lets DD to get more into play and "shuts out" some BA FR or spikes.
JVC Spiral Dot tips also have different inner bore walls with dots that help to "smooth out parasite signals" better than many other tips I have. JMSHO about tips.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #35,249 of 35,472
  I have stopped buying IEMs in the $90-150ish price range from Ali because they more often than not end up being some crazy wonkfest tuning, as I've seen it described before. I think at least for now spending $60 or less can get you some really great bargains. I can't think of anything above the 50-60 price point that I am a big fan of.

Any good suggestions? I prefer a balanced / mid forward sound sig.

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #35,250 of 35,472
What? **** 4in1 cold, harsh and unsatisfying? We must be from different ear-planet. 
I`m very sensitive to highs and can`t find them harsh nor cold. Sound natural to me. 

Im beginning to wonder if there is a bad batch going around. Im in the "they sound cold and hollow" camp. Im not sure how good senfers quality control is, but maybe our pairs are tuned differently or mine is defective.

Or maybe I just dont like their signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back