Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #3,437 of 35,472
  I've got both the Ostry KC06 and the Zero Audio Tenore.  The KC06 pair wonderfully with the iHifi 960 and the Tenore pair very well with the Colorfly C3/C&C BH amp combination.

How does Tenore pair with pa2v2 if anyone happens to know?

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #3,438 of 35,472
Does any of you guys have experience with TDK IEM's? Both the IE800 and the BA200 get good reviews.........

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #3,440 of 35,472
tehy are both great iems. personally i liked the ie800 better... ba2000 were very warm

Thanks. I also assume that the ie800 has more bass impact, is that correct?

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #3,441 of 35,472
I just got the KZ ed3 and the Meelectronics a161p in. I really like both of them. I gave them both a quick listen for an initial impression.

The a161p is the best sounding SINGLE balanced armature I've ever heard. The mids and highs are unbelievably clear and detailed. It has decent bass for a BA also. Bass heads, avoid this one as it is more about sonic accuracy than rattling your skull. The bass is there, but it is by no means impressive, and there is little to no sub bass. However the bass is present. If you're trying to compare it to comparable single balance armatures, the sound of the Sony XBA-1 and a151p are nowhere near the sound quality of the a161p. Overall the sound is balanced, crystal clear and ultra detailed. I really like them and don't regret my purchase of them for $50 USD. These really do put the XBA-1 and a151p to shame. They come with a plethora of accessories, quality packaging, and a nice clamshell case.

Things I don't like about the a161p have to do primarily with the cable and ergonomics. The cable is unbelievably flimsy after they split into the right and left channel. I'm going to have to be really careful with these things. It's right along the lines of the easy to snag and rip Koss Portapro wires. Seriously Meelec, you should have used the same awesome cable as the a151p, and I would be willing to pay an extra 30 for them. I almost want to call the company and complain about this and suggest they not use this for future designs for anything over 20 dollars. Also, the hozzle is angled for it to be worn down (although it's still pretty easy to be worn up and around the ear). Wearing them down, there are ridiculous microphonics issues.  This is not a big deal, but I don't understand why companies don't come straight out with the cable coming from the hozzle and about 4/5 of the way towards the end of the housing. This would allow for users to wear them any way they want without issues.

Now for the ed3. It's a steal for 25 bucks. They got it right with this. Sturdy cable, metal housing, and good ergonomics. Some microphonics when worn down, but I don't care because these are set up well to go over the ear also (which I prefer). I would say the sound is somewhere between mid centric and balanced. There is some sub bass, no mid bass bloat from what I heard. the treble is there and doesn't seem to roll off too much so far. It seems to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. I really like it.

Things I don't like about the KZ ed3 is that it has s**t for accessories. No clamshell case, not even a pouch. There is nothing more than some bootlegged generic rubber tips in three different sizes. It's sad because these things are cool enough to come with a case, and some biflange tips or some foam tips. The good new is that if you're reading this I guaranfrickentee that you probably have a plethora of extra tips to make up for KZ's slack in terms of guaranteeing that everyone gets a good seal.

FYI Just because I pointed out some flaws with these, it DOES NOT mean I regret purchasing either of them. They are both fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I'm going to kick back now and test these babies out...

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3,443 of 35,472
Burn the ed3 in and enjoy more :wink:

On a subject of burn in, though a different set of headphones, how long did it take you to burn in your Tenore and Doppios?  Got both today, did about 2hr of pink noise loop with each.  To my surprise, dynamic driver Tenore sounds almost unchanged, while dual BA driver Doppios sound changed (improved) significantly from the first out of the box listening.  I would have expected the other way around.

Very first impression, both are neutral, detailed, very revealing.  Tenore has a very wide soundstage with some crazy revealing details where I can hear a bouncing ghost echo of the delay/reverb on vocals.  Also, Tenore takes some power to drive it.  Doppios have an average soundstage width, and have a fuller/thicker sound in comparison to Tenore; also they have a bit more bass quantity including better sub-bass.  In comparison to Tenore, Doppios are very easy to drive.

I do like Carbon 3D finish very much on both.  In terms of build quality, Doppios have an upper hand with a more solid design and better strain relief.  Also, I was ok with Tenore included tips, while for Doppios I switched to wider bore UE900 tips.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #3,444 of 35,472
  I just got the KZ ed3 and the Meelectronics a161p in. I really like both of them. I gave them both a quick listen for an initial impression.

The a161p is the best sounding SINGLE balanced armature I've ever heard. The mids and highs are unbelievably clear and detailed. It has decent bass for a BA also. Bass heads, avoid this one as it is more about sonic accuracy than rattling your skull. The bass is there, but it is by no means impressive, and there is little to no sub bass. However the bass is present. If you're trying to compare it to comparable single balance armatures, the sound of the Sony XBA-1 and a151p are nowhere near the sound quality of the a161p. Overall the sound is balanced, crystal clear and ultra detailed. I really like them and don't regret my purchase of them for $50 USD. These really do put the XBA-1 and a151p to shame. They come with a plethora of accessories, quality packaging, and a nice clamshell case.

Things I don't like about the a161p have to do primarily with the cable and ergonomics. The cable is unbelievably flimsy after they split into the right and left channel. I'm going to have to be really careful with these things. It's right along the lines of the easy to snag and rip Koss Portapro wires. Seriously Meelec, you should have used the same awesome cable as the a151p, and I would be willing to pay an extra 30 for them. I almost want to call the company and complain about this and suggest they not use this for future designs for anything over 20 dollars. Also, the hozzle is angled for it to be worn down (although it's still pretty easy to be worn up and around the ear). Wearing them down, there are ridiculous microphonics issues.  This is not a big deal, but I don't understand why companies don't come straight out with the cable coming from the hozzle and about 4/5 of the way towards the end of the housing. This would allow for users to wear them any way they want without issues.

Now for the ed3. It's a steal for 25 bucks. They got it right with this. Sturdy cable, metal housing, and good ergonomics. Some microphonics when worn down, but I don't care because these are set up well to go over the ear also (which I prefer). I would say the sound is somewhere between mid centric and balanced. There is some sub bass, no mid bass bloat from what I heard. the treble is there and doesn't seem to roll off too much so far. It seems to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. I really like it.

Things I don't like about the KZ ed3 is that it has s**t for accessories. No clamshell case, not even a pouch. There is nothing more than some bootlegged generic rubber tips in three different sizes. It's sad because these things are cool enough to come with a case, and some biflange tips or some foam tips. The good new is that if you're reading this I guaranfrickentee that you probably have a plethora of extra tips to make up for KZ's slack in terms of guaranteeing that everyone gets a good seal.

FYI Just because I pointed out some flaws with these, it DOES NOT mean I regret purchasing either of them. They are both fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I'm going to kick back now and test these babies out...

About 161p where did you manage to get it in such a low price? :) . And how would it compare to others at similar price , like etymotic hf5

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #3,445 of 35,472
My first post here, just ordered ed3 from Ali,they cost 25 bucks right now, waiting time 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #3,446 of 35,472
  My first post here, just ordered ed3 from Ali,they cost 25 bucks right now, waiting time 
rolleyes.gif

Wellcome to head-fi!

Did you order from Aliexpress? The cheapest I can see is 27 USD.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #3,448 of 35,472

Agree entirely about the A161P. They have stopped making them unfortunately (so all other stocks are just remaining left overs). The sound quality is very good for a Single BA and I agree in that the build quality is where it tapers off. I can only see the reason they stopped making these are because of build quality issues as they are far better than the A151P's in every way except the cable. The microphone module is better on the A161P's too. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back