Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #27,181 of 35,472

agree with you to the extent they don't say kz iems are the best!
well the qc is poor you can't deny that
beerchug.gif

I've actually had really good experiences with their QC. Of the 20+ KZs I own, and the many others that have passed through my hands before being gifted, only a few have had issues. I bought old DS stock after the earphone was discontinued. That one has a massive channel imbalance and is virtually useless. My Micro Ring (also old stock after they were discontinued) arrived without one of the housings glued together. Easy fix and still going strong. The cable on my original ED8 died at the jack. My fault. It got caught on the same drawer handle that killed the cable on my W1 Pro. You might toss the ED4 in there with the inline mic that picks up the remote's button rattling around making it useless for phone calls. I would say I've been pretty lucky and that my experiences do not reflect poor QC. Others definitely have not been so lucky (arriving with dead channels, housings splitting apart, etc.). Still, these are all issues that happen with more established brands and more expensive products.

One thing I will definitely criticize KZ for is being inconsistent with their individual models and making little tweaks and changes here and there. At least three ZS1 variants (if you include the ZS2), four or five ATE variants, ED2/EDse confusion, silent revisions to the ANV, etc. etc. It's very annoying because you'll read drastically different comments on the same product. Take for example my two silver ATEs bought when first launched; they sound pretty similar to my HDS1 (less midbass though, and more rolled off at either end) which is generally considered one of the more balanced KZs. I would say the ATE is a mid-forward earphone. Check more recent comments in the KZ thread and that's definitely not the general consensus, haha.

May 9, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #27,182 of 35,472

Wonder what it is then? IMHO, ANV has best SQ out of KZ family in terms of soundstage / imaging / separation / details(micro-details) and punchy bass/percussion. But it has its own "faults", unfortunately(for me).

New-KZ-ZS2-In-Ear-Earphone-Dual-Driver-Hifi-Headphones-Earpiece-Original-KZ-ZS2-Headset-Bass.jpg

fit is horrible but sq above the pack

ZS2 ? Really? Sorry but according to that, Your reference point about high SQ is bit off
rolleyes.gif
 No wonder You praise D2 so much, and say some weird/off opinions about some other IEM`s (sorry, just my subjective opinion about Your opinion).

May 9, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #27,184 of 35,472

New-KZ-ZS2-In-Ear-Earphone-Dual-Driver-Hifi-Headphones-Earpiece-Original-KZ-ZS2-Headset-Bass.jpg

fit is horrible but sq above the pack

Oooo! Maybe you can answer a question for me about these. The original ZS1 has a brass ring in the nozzle (no screen) and a crossover covering the tweeter which can be seen through the housing. Does the ZS2 share these qualities or is it more ZN1 mini with a standard nozzle screen and no crossover?

May 9, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #27,192 of 35,472
After doing some comparisons last night I've ordered my IEM listening preference:

ZhiYin QT5 > Shockwave III > TK13 > TK12

They're arranged by my priorities based on:

1) Soundstage
2) Timbre
3) Mids
4) Treble

Notable impressions:

QT5 has the best stage, hands down- it's enormous. Compared to the TK13 both its timbre and mids are great (slightly recessed due to the increased head space but not by much), though not nearly as remarkable to my ears as the TK13. Treble on both are excellent but at the end of the day I think the QT5 gets the win for overall appeal. 

Shockwave III is also close to the TK13- however I find there is some resonance (which gives the timbre a metallic coloration). It isn't a huge issue- I only noticed through A/B'ing with the other three. 

Whether you want to spend $250 or $100 the ZhiYin QT5 and TK13 are an incredible value for their respective price/SQ.

May 9, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #27,194 of 35,472
  Wow, I was surprised. TK13 > Shockwave III
blink.gif

Me too! I expected it to sit between the two but the tuning seems much better- SWIII still has more treble extension but given the bass quality is good on all the earphones listed it becomes a comparison of the other factors (particularly stage, timbre and mids)...TK13 just sounds more transparent to me.

May 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #27,195 of 35,472
just got mine (took quite a while)--they were recommended to me by the venerable clieOS. very well built and comfortable; quite forward mids; slightly bright with good overall clarity and highend extension. not bass monsters--bass quantity varies with depth of insertion/fit/tips, but bass is articulate and fast (not bloated). not as immediately exciting or bassy as the comparably-priced hlsx808, but may prove less fatiguing with extended use; definitely merit further listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back