BTG-Audio Cable Impressions, Reviews and Discussion | Sunrise, Starlight & FitEar
Feb 15, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #106 of 203
Here are some pics of my EarWerkz Legend with the Starlight cable; it looks and sounds fantastic.  The Legend is very sensitive to increased impedance and the higher the resistance, the more it slightly reduces treble presence.  The Starlight cable must be the lowest resistance cable I've used because the Legend's treble performance is clearly best with the Starlight, sounding crisper, more present and more articulate. With the now sleeker, lower profile Y-splt, I can't recommend this cable enough.  It has a permanent home on the Legend.

Feb 20, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #108 of 203
Does anyone have an idea on how long Brian's cables will last before shorting out or stop working? A year? Two years? This is considering average usage. They seem more durable than stock cables, so just wondering. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #109 of 203
Does anyone have an idea on how long Brian's cables will last before shorting out or stop working? A year? Two years? This is considering average usage. They seem more durable than stock cables, so just wondering. 

It's hard to say with how hard of wear you are on them however I had mine 2 years with no issue they are built VERY sturdy.Well worth the money. I don't see if you buy one it going out any time soon with normal useage.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #110 of 203
  Here are some pics of my EarWerkz Legend with the Starlight cable; it looks and sounds fantastic.  The Legend is very sensitive to increased impedance and the higher the resistance, the more it slightly reduces treble presence.  The Starlight cable must be the lowest resistance cable I've used because the Legend's treble performance is clearly best with the Starlight, sounding crisper, more present and more articulate. With the now sleeker, lower profile Y-splt, I can't recommend this cable enough.  It has a permanent home on the Legend.

Shane, do you mind going a little more in depth (i.e. answer my questions about this!) haha.

how does it compare to the stock (not BaX) cable that comes with the Legend?  I've pretty much gathered by now that the BaX enhances the bass and dulls the treble, and the stock cable does something akin to the Starlight.  If you have it, can you compare the two? 

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #111 of 203
  Shane, do you mind going a little more in depth (i.e. answer my questions about this!) haha.

how does it compare to the stock (not BaX) cable that comes with the Legend?  I've pretty much gathered by now that the BaX enhances the bass and dulls the treble, and the stock cable does something akin to the Starlight.  If you have it, can you compare the two? 

Thanks!

My impressions above were when switching from another cable that sounded no different from the stock gray Plastics1 cable (which already sounds pretty good).  Based on how the Legend reacts to various sources with slightly different varying output impedances, I've found the Legend is very sensitive to impedance in it's treble frequency response- treble presence will decrease slightly with increased impedance.  To my ears the Legend treble presence is better with the Starlight on all my sources.  This includes testing some very expensive silver cables Jack had on hand at EW headquarters, which didn't sound any different than the Plastics1 cable to my ears.

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #113 of 203

My impressions above were when switching from another cable that sounded no different from the stock gray Plastics1 cable (which already sounds pretty good).  Based on how the Legend reacts to various sources with slightly different varying output impedances, I've found the Legend is very sensitive to impedance in it's treble frequency response- treble presence will decrease slightly with increased impedance.  To my ears the Legend treble presence is better with the Starlight on all my sources.  This includes testing some very expensive silver cables Jack had on hand at EW headquarters, which didn't sound any different than the Plastics1 cable to my ears.

Great.  Clarified everything.  Thanks for the answer, Shane!

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #114 of 203
Has anyone heard from Brian? I'm concerned as I asked if he could help diagnose a cable he made. The right channel of the SPC HiFiMAN cable I got him to make last year has cut out and I sent him it a week ago. I just haven't heard back from them and I'm wondering if perhaps that it was a bad time to send?

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #115 of 203
Have you tried emailing him? He sometimes can be a little hard to get a hold Of. I'd shoot him a pm on here and a email and wait a see he will normally get back to you at a decent time.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #116 of 203
Brian is still around I think. I just got my re-cabled RE-600s back today. Balanced Midnight SPC with a 3.5mm TRRS connector. Cable looks and feels amazing and I'm so happy to be able to listen to my RE-600/HM-700 combo again. I'll get some pics up.

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #117 of 203
Just received my AKG K550 back from Brian today. Turn-around-time for the removable cable mod was 4 weeks with a little prodding after 3 weeks had passed.

The workmanship is very good and so far I don't notice any change in the sound. Overall I'm very pleased with the job. The only negative thing about the experience was the website pricing is a bit misleading. The mod is listed on the website as costing $40, but ended up being $90 ($40 to install a jack in the earcup, $35 to reterminate the cable, and then $15 for S&H).

I have zero complaints about the price because it's still a bargain, but I thought I'd share the info for anyone considering the mod. For comparison, I got a quote from another place and they wanted $150 for the job. $90 is a bargain indeed.

Jun 1, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #118 of 203
EarWerkz is now carrying the BTG Starlight cable to offer with their CIEM lineup:

https://www.facebook.com/EarWerkz/posts/1639576622946219

http://www.earwerkz.com/accessories/50-btg-starlight-spc-cable

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #119 of 203
Has anyone ever tried the Starlight/Midnight on the JH13? I'd like a replacement cable that is built sturdy and durable yet won't change the sound (the treble of the JH13 is mesmerising to my ears). The stock JH cable doesn't exactly inspire confidence as I've seen the demo unit cables untangle.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #120 of 203
  Has anyone ever tried the Starlight/Midnight on the JH13? I'd like a replacement cable that is built sturdy and durable yet won't change the sound (the treble of the JH13 is mesmerising to my ears). The stock JH cable doesn't exactly inspire confidence as I've seen the demo unit cables untangle.

Thanks in advance.

Technically speaking, a well built cable shouldn't show any differences in sound signature. You can look at a slew of objective tests done by many objective headphone reviewers and see the results. IMO, all good cables are created equal, it's simply a matter of durability as you have said before! To each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back