BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Jan 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #1,156 of 1,864
Hey guys I'm looking for a good amp for the beyerdynamic DT770 600ohm consumer edition headphones. I want something portable. Skylab said that the stepdance was great, but I kinda want a USB DAC for my macbook. Any amp suggestions in the same size? Can you use the stepdance with their M2TECH HiFace?

Also could anybody clarify at around what year the Beyerdynamic Dt770 600 went from awesome to bassy? I'm looking to buy a pair because I thought they were the best for DT770 if they were well amped

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #1,157 of 1,864
Hi Guys

Just got my DT990 600 ohm Premiums today :D

Lets just say my ears nearly fell off!  Straight out of the box they have proven to be just what I expected - very revealing with a meaty bottom end.  Playing instrumental and classical music they sound great.  I thought - how about some cranked B52s?  WOOOOAAAAHHHHHH that's bright!!!  I think I will leave the rock music for a few weeks while they burn in....

Cheers,

Chris

BTW - they forgot the 'P' when they said on the box it came with a 'Leather' carry case :p

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #1,158 of 1,864
My first post is buried somewhere in this thread. As far as brightness goes, Beyers are bright. This doesn't make them bad; I like my DT880 for classical. But I'm finding I like a warmer signature for rock.

I think the cases really are leather, unless they changed them in the six three months since my DT880 arrived. Thin leather, but real nonetheless.

EDIT: It certainly feels like six months, but it was actually three.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #1,159 of 1,864
Yeah I don't mind the brightness actually, I think they are just revealing a lot of information that gets missed with other cans - I think what I am trying to describe is sibilance?  It's that harsh ssss sound that you get on some tracks.  I actually thought the case was leather, but I got my missus to smell it and she said it was pleather lol...

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,160 of 1,864

Quote:
My first post is buried somewhere in this thread. As far as brightness goes, Beyers are bright. This doesn't make them bad; I like my DT880 for classical. But I'm finding I like a warmer signature for rock.

I think the cases really are leather, unless they changed them in the six three months since my DT880 arrived. Thin leather, but real nonetheless.

EDIT: It certainly feels like six months, but it was actually three.

You'll love the DT990s for rock...

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #1,161 of 1,864
I think I will - after some burning in - they're just a bit too harsh at the moment.  Some are saying 300 hours for burning in - is that right?  That's nearly 2 weeks!

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #1,162 of 1,864
I got T5ps a few weeks ago and I like them. They are brightish as someone has already noted about BEyers in this thread. I really like them for Electronica and stuff like that. I used to listen to Rock and Hard Rock/ HEavy Metal a lot but my music tastes have recently changed and I prefer some lighter sounding music for which these are very good.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #1,163 of 1,864

Quote:
I think I will - after some burning in - they're just a bit too harsh at the moment.  Some are saying 300 hours for burning in - is that right?  That's nearly 2 weeks!

If you believe in it. I think it's more psychological than anything, even though I can see the argument for some small mechanical change. Believers usually suggest that certain brands or model series have similar burn in requirements. If so, a DT990 is not so different from a DT880 mechanically, so they would likely wear in similarly. Mine have at least 300 hours on them and I can't say they changed appreciably during that time. Beyers are very transparent to the source; many people trade different amps around to find a combination that they like. Tubes are supposed to pair well with Beyers, which is something I'd like to try myself.

Jan 25, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #1,164 of 1,864
Same here - I'd love to buy a Woo but I think shipping to Australia might kill me there.  When I have the funds I will speak with a couple of local manufacturers to see if they can build something to suit the strengths and weaknesses of the DT990s.  Thanks for your help Argyris!

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,170 of 1,864

Quote:
When I put my DT990s pads on the DT770, the bass was gone. It was the combination of the 770's pads and the holes on the cups that gave the 770s their ridiculously bassy sound. I put the 770's pads on my 990s and it made it sound super bassy and muffled.

Perhaps your pads may be giving the MMX300 their bass light sound.

Why do you think this was? What was it about the DT990 pads that fixed the issue do you think? I've recently ordered a pair of the new DT770/600s (with velour pads) and I certainly don't want to be stuck with the excess bass, so if just ordering a different pair of pads will fix the issue then I certainly will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back