BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Feb 13, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #1,171 of 1,864
The DT990 pads are considerably softer and let sound leak through the pads. The DT770 pads LOOK similar but are harder and don't let sound escape in the same way. Trust me, you do NOT wanna put DT990 pads on the DT770. It destroys the sound. The bass was gone, but so was everything else. If you find the DT770/600 to be too bassy for you, cover up the bass port holes. The bass will be very weak then, but the rest of the sound will be intact. I'd suggest partially closing off the holes, but not completely that way some of the bass will still remain. In any case, I'm the only person I know that received bass heavy DT770 600ohms, so YMMV.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #1,172 of 1,864
MLE, I'm pretty sure that the few pairs out there were a fluke as I have not heard of any others popping up at all.

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,173 of 1,864
'Sup kids. Former owner of DT990/600s (sold to a friend), current owner of a pair of DT770/600s, running them through a Practical Devices XM5 DAC/amp. Loving the bass. (I'm a sucker for a good 48Hz wobble bass... >_>) I listen to mostly metal and techno, plus a bunch of Vocaloid and Touhou nonsense (which is typically J-pop, plus more metal and techno, though Touhou gets lots of classy jazz/piano/classical rearranges [not that I'm complaining, mind you; I listen to it all]), though in the past two weeks I've been getting back into dubstep - I didn't think it had gotten so popular since like, two years ago?

All stock - I'm terrified of RUINING EVERTHING if I try to do any sort of modding.

-- Griffinhart

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,174 of 1,864

Andrea said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a potential new adept of the party... if only I could put my hands on the DT880 (too pricey for me as of now and hard to find here) or the DTX900 (just hard to find here) ...
mad.gif
tongue.gif

Thinking about it though, I'm worried about that 'mental adjustment' supposedly needed while switching back and forth between my HD650 and, say, the DT880, since I don't want that my current happy relationship with my Senns be compromised in any way.
tongue.gif
Maybe this is magnifying the issue though.

Thanks for your sharing! I understand this part, It's very detailed.

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #1,177 of 1,864
I think it's a quick reaction of Beyer when being confronted with the folk's almost complete disgust of the T50's sound sig.

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #1,178 of 1,864
Sadly thats seems to be the case...

However I've read on some chinese forums that their T50p became decent after 200hrs of burning in and good at 400-500hrs... I'm at the decent mark >..<

May 13, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #1,179 of 1,864
I bought some used Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80-Ohm about six weeks ago, and I was enjoying them for the bass that my ATH-AD700s lacked.
Two weeks ago I saw a good price on some brand new DT 770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones, so I ordered them.
They sound so nice and balanced and I use them with my new Indeed 6922EH single tube headphone amp ($88, off eBay).
I'm guessing they will get even better after 100 hours of use.
So for those of you trying to decided between the 80-Ohm and 250-Ohm, the 250-Ohm is better.
But your budget should include a headphone amp. for the 250-Ohms.

May 14, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #1,181 of 1,864
New owner of DT990s 600ohm 2005 ed here. The guys have entered the second 'no treble spike' break in period (over a course of 50 hours). Hoping they stay this way because the initial treble spike was rather unbearable. Now they are having just the right amount of everything and don't sound like daggers stabbing into my ears.

May 15, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #1,182 of 1,864
Hey everyone, I'm new here - have lurked for many years but finally had to ask you guys about a problem I'm having.

I've got some old DT250-250 that I love.  However, their ear pieces are too small for my ears which hurt after wearing the DT250s for a while (to the point that I can't wear them any longer).  Is there any way to replace them with something larger and more comfortable, or am I stuck with the ones it came with?

Also, my headband has broken in one spot - where can I get a replacement?

Thanks!

May 15, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #1,183 of 1,864
Thomann.de is a good source when you are in the EU. I guess however you're in the USA so in that case you can get parts via Beyerdynamic itself.

May 25, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,184 of 1,864
Heya,

I'm plannning on getting myself a pair of 770/600s soon and I was a little scared they miiight be too quiet when I only drive them via a portable amp – the fiio e11 hat should arrive on my doorstep in the next days. So many people advise against that (770/600 w/ portable amp)…
But I just found a website with a headphone SPL calculator… and as long as beyerdynamic's rating of 96dB/1mW is half way correct, I should get more or less the same ~108-110 dB maximum output with e11 and 770/600 as I get with the 231Pro straight from a 2g iPhone, which I use currently. AND with a much better isolation.
I fear no longer
biggrin.gif

So I guess I'll get them soon. Still I'll have to go compare them to a few other cans at a local music store (they have Shure 840s and ATH M50 and stuff), but as long as the 770 sound half way similar to the 231s, I'll love them.

In fact, I'd probably stay with the 231s if their isolation wasn't that lousy and if they were circumaural, I just don't want to disturb other people with my music, and I hate the feeling of getting my ears pressed to my skull
redface.gif
.  But their sound is lovely in my opinion.
I fell in love with those phones when I looked for a birthday present for my (meanwhile Ex-) girlfriend a few years ago and decided on a pair of headphones, since she studied something music related and lacked any kind of decent sound equipment.
I looked all over the city, from one electronics- and hifi-stores to the other, then, and none had anything good within my budget… so finally, as a last resort, I went into my 'usual' music store which I only knew for their guitar section, and asked if they had *anything* they might offer me. They had those cans in stock and let me try them… and I was hooked, immediately.
I had always appreciated good sound, but I think this was the moment something inside of me decided I needed at least above average sound in the future.

For a long time now I only used my home setup for quality listening, but since I only get home late in the evening lately, my big speakers see much too little usage, and I decided I need something decent to take with me as well… the pair of 231s I got for myself some time ago were a nice stop gap solution until I could decide what I wanted, but I'm slowly beginning to feel the need for something better…
beyersmile.png

Johann

PS: Pleasy excuse my if some of this post sounds strange to you, I'm not a native speaker and it's past 2am here as well again x_X

May 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,185 of 1,864
here here!
just saw this thread!
im relatively new around here.
Have a pair of 770 32 ohms.
Love em.  good bass, a little tighter than the 80 ohm pros ive had, not quite as boomy.  and maybe a bit more mid rangy.  either way im currently in love with these blue ones!

anybody have any strong recomendations for dac/amp for these?
im thinking e7/e9 or maverick D1 or fubar 3.
but hell idk, im open to just about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back