BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Dec 5, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #511 of 1,864
Just got my DT-880s ('05) in the mail today. They're sitting in the case breaking in at the moment.

First impression was, "Good god, these are bright!" I sure hope the highs calm down as they break in. After a few hours, they seem to have. Here's hoping another week will do them some good.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #512 of 1,864
After many tens of hours in these forums I've finally committed to the 880s, but am still unclear about which amp will best complement them. I'd prefer to stay under $400 US. Primary use will be for home theater and DVD-A/SACDs (rock and classical). Searches seem to indicate that they are best paired with tubes, but I'm concerned about the sound floor; are there silent tube amps in this price range? Many thanks....

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #514 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by philan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After many tens of hours in these forums I've finally committed to the 880s, but am still unclear about which amp will best complement them. I'd prefer to stay under $400 US. Primary use will be for home theater and DVD-A/SACDs (rock and classical). Searches seem to indicate that they are best paired with tubes, but I'm concerned about the sound floor; are there silent tube amps in this price range? Many thanks....

Philan, my DT990's sounded very good with the Darkvoice 336i, which is in your price range, and the ASL MG Head mkIII, which also is. Both nice tube amps that will sound great with Beyers.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #515 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruteFM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First impression was, "Good god, these are bright!" I sure hope the highs calm down as they break in. After a few hours, they seem to have. Here's hoping another week will do them some good.

You'll just need a little bit of time to get used to the sound. If the treble still bothers you after a while but you still like the sound of the can, a good stranded copper recable can help.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #516 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philan, my DT990's sounded very good with the Darkvoice 336i, which is in your price range, and the ASL MG Head mkIII, which also is. Both nice tube amps that will sound great with Beyers.

Thanks, Skylab. Should I have any worries about the noise floor of either of these amps?

Dec 19, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #517 of 1,864
for the dt770/880/990, how is the isolation on these? I know that they are respectively closed/semi/open, but i want to make sure on my guess. Also, how badly do they leak sound? (not 770, but 880 and 990)

thanks!

Dec 19, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #518 of 1,864
New Darth (Amboyna Burl) owner here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #519 of 1,864
I got a pair of thje 770 250 ohm 2005 version phones for the isolation. I wanted a set of phones I could crank any hour of the day without waking up the family. I was impressed.
I am now waiting for 770 80 ohm 03's, 880 250 ohms 05's and 990 250 ohm 05. I guess I was inmpressed with my first Beyers. I can't imagine ever letting my sennheissers 650,600,580 ever getting to dusty as I think my phones all do good things differently. It's a matter of mood and music for me but I am enjoying my 770's 250 05's for the sound as well as the isolation and I am excited to try my beyers that are on their way. I guess I'll burn in one pair at a time but I'll probably use them all at diifferent times making burn in of these beyers take quite some time. I just read this entire post from the begining so I kind of know peoples thoughts on the sounds of these different models but I can't wait to hear them for myself. My only concern other than my wife getting pissed off over all the headphones is that I'm wondering if the 880's may be bass shy for my tastes.
I thought the K701's were week in the bass but now I find they have nice tight bass when bass is in the music. I don't really find the 701 lacking in bass anymore. They just have a different presentation than the Sennheissers but that is not a bad thing. I rather like my K701's. What can
I expect in terms of differences between the beyers I have mentioned. I did read this post but more opinions would be interesting and appreciated. Now I have to change my signature. I very much enjoy the 770 250 05's I have now.

Jan 20, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #520 of 1,864
I love the headphones in my signature. Specially and a lot more the DT990. It give me all what i like. With music: excelent, with TV movies: Excelent, with Anime and Tv series: Excelent. It's airy with very good bass and with excellent impact; the mids are too very good and with a very good treble (perfect for poor mono TV shows or low quality music). And that what these seems to be still in burn in (seem infinite., Because sometimes, these sound more open and sound better in general, in special the bass.
And that what only, i had used the %15 of his total potential (i need to see the movies and Anime that i have in my cumputer..., and not only in TV (the anime in TV is in mono, which suck. Because the sound isn't in stereo) .
I don't known why a lot of people in this site doesn't treat this Gems as these deserve. Those ...... people, the only that them like is a lifeless and unrealistic and boring sound (only appear to like a "realistic" mids... and bassless headphones without treble), ha.

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #521 of 1,864
I have now a Beyer DT990Pro.
This is truly a terrific headphone, also directly from my source (Audio Analogue Enigma). A true bargain for 150 eur shipped. The detail level is "embarassing", as the extension at the frequency extremes and the headstage is one of the best I've heard in an headphone.
Maybe the best value in headphone market today!

cool.gif

Ps. a comparison between DT990Pro (150 eur) and DT990v2005 (250-300 eur) could be very interesting..
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #522 of 1,864
as a current senn owner, im thinking of investing in some beyeres, however i was wondering what there sound sig is like as im starting to feel undwhelmed by senns laid back sound.

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #523 of 1,864
if you read a couple pages back, i was going to get dt770 but i somehow got myself a dt880 600ohm. didn't think they're bright at all though.

skylab or other who have a darkvoice 337 with dt880 600ohm, how do they sound? will the darkvoice make dt880 warmer and bring out the bass a little?

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #524 of 1,864
The DV337 is pretty neutral, but I do think the DT990/600's I have sound truly excellent with the 337. I think the 990/600's really shine with tube amps.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #525 of 1,864
Skylab, for you which amp is better? your DV337 or your Corda opera?
And what about that Travagan amp (seems very good)? is competent vs the two above?. becuase i fell that my amp sometimes isn't enough to drive my DT990 headphones and because my source iis something weak.
Ah, how much the three amps improve my DT990 (in addition to my amp) and in which areas (each one)? (i believe that with these amps, the headphones reach his maximum potential)
Ah, you can send me the answer here or by MP if your prefer
Thanks

I can consider one of these amps in the future
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DV337 is pretty neutral, but I do think the DT990/600's I have sound truly excellent with the 337. I think the 990/600's really shine with tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back