BeyerDynamic owners unite...
May 21, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #1,711 of 1,864

In reality, this is mostly meaningless, but I love the cutout of the "T1" in that part of the headband. Makes the molded "DT770" on the side of mine look very pedestrian.

I don't follow, what do you mean by that?

This looks cool. That's all.

No, there's a hidden meaning. That symbol looks sinister to me. Is that the symbol for the Krill, the secret society of Atlantis? Is Beyer in league with Satanists perhaps, and sending us a subconscious message? I don't like the look of it myself. I think Head-Fi should be very wary of evil incursions. We must all be on guard 24/7.

wink.gif

May 21, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #1,712 of 1,864
  Can you tell me more about the DT 1350s? Comfort? Sound? I am new to high end headphones and thinking about trying them. (Did you review them?)

You can find a lot of info in the two threads on that model:
The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Fan Club
New Beyer DT1350

The comfort is a bit of a weak point as many complain about too strong clamping force (which is intended as this model is targeting DJs and FOH sound engineers, applications where isolation is of utter importance). Soundwise I still consider them the best mobile headphones available. Which is, of course, my own opinion and may differ from others' take on that subject :wink:

Don't be too scared regarding comfort, most have no problem after 1-2 weeks of usage: the pads get softer (i.e. seal and bass response get better) and you can stretch them out -- its a metal frame after all.
You may also want to consider the T51p, a more consumer voiced variant with very good comfort.

May 21, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #1,713 of 1,864

I am pretty new to this hobby, but with a medical situation that keeps me here at home in isolation much of the time have been taking the time to clean up my system and enjoy my headphones much more than in the past.  That way can spend me time listening in my music room without bothering others in the house.

I've been recording and using headphones since the '60's, but the level of performance in modern headphones is really remarkable. Back in the day, the Koss Pro-4AA were the cat's meow.  However, now we live in a new era.  The Koss phones are still excellent, but for me the DT-880 Pro's are my current "Flagship".  I haven't heard the HD-600,650,800 but do have the HD-595 which I like for their forward presence and great soundstage.  However, the clarity of the DT-880 is in a different league. The bass is markedly better too.  Not louder, or more dominant, but the Beyer's can reach lower in a way that retains clarity and detail.  For upper mids and treble, there's really no comparison as the DT-880 goes to places the HD-595 was not designed to achieve.  Don't get me wrong here though, I love the HD-595's especially for vocals or source material where I want to have that amazing soundstage impact which is impressive.

I used Dr. Chesky's test files to hear the frequency response and you can hear the bump in the upper frequencies on the Beyer's.  I most often run the DT-880's through a LIttle Dot MK III, but when I have a really good vinyl record or digital file, I still find my solid state amp (STR-V55) provides more clarity and detail over the tube amp.  A caution here is that if the recording is not pristine or not recorded well the DT-880 will show you a lot of the flaws in a way that is distracting.  The LDIII solves that, so I use more than one amp depending on what is up for listening.  Some of the things written about the HD-800 and some Grado's sound familiar in this regard.  I'm scared to try the HD-800 because the description of their sound is what I search for, but can't afford the big bucks and like my wife's redecorating, upgrading one thing leads to another, and another.

I'm working on a new recording project at this time and am using the DT-880's for monitoring and some mixing.  Still listen to final mixes on a variety of headphones, monitor speakers, and different home stereos and car systems to make sure they sound decent on different systems.  As all of you in our headphone hobby can appreciate, I find that "better" is a term I use less than "different" at some point.

My first audio equipment was a crystal radio and used my bedroom's window screen as the antennae, so I've definitely moved up in sound reproduction!  However, I do want to point out that the crystal radio cost less than $2 brand new in 1963, and the current audiophile headphones and supporting equipment...................do not!

Happy Listening Out There Everyone!!

Mark

P.S. Here's my system at present.  You can see I've cobbled together something from the past and something from currently available equipment.  I've split it into two sides.  One side is for digital files and computer listening, the other for analogue (vinyl, tuner, r2r, cassettes).  Still interested in an upgrade here and there, but right now this setup sounds very good indeed!

DT-880 PRO, HD-424/595, AKG-240 Studio
TC-7510
LD MK III, STR-V55, SX-636
TC-651, TD-20A SE
SL-3350/AT4412XE/ATN12S
PS-T33/V15 Ty IV/SAS
TU-550 (Denon)
RCD-W500C
HK DC 520
Tascam 2488

May 22, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #1,715 of 1,864
The DT770-250 Pro might not be the most balanced or correct headphone out there, but when properly amped, it's damned great fun.
Also, there's something about the sound that just rubs me the right way. Difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is.

JensL,

I have a DT-770 660 Pro. Which amp do you suggest? I am thinking of a Schiit Vahalla tube amp as I am in favour of warm sound and mostly listen to vinyl. 

RD

May 22, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #1,716 of 1,864

JensL,

I have a DT-770 660 Pro. Which amp do you suggest? I am thinking of a Schiit Vahalla tube amp as I am in favour of warm sound and mostly listen to vinyl. 

RD

I think the Valhalla leans toward the brighter side of the spectrum, not warm. Not really sure though, perhaps someone with extensive experience can clarify this.

May 22, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #1,717 of 1,864
Normally tube amps are on the warmer side, I don't know from experience though, that was just what I've heard from other people.

I really want a tube amp, I think I'm going to get myself a Vali.

May 22, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,718 of 1,864
  Normally tube amps are on the warmer side, I don't know from experience though, that was just what I've heard from other people.

You may want to try a Bravo V2.   Here are my brief impressions of the Bravo V2 with the Beyer DT235 (edited from a post in another thread.)

I have a DT235 at the office.  It is a backup to my CAL!, which I find to be better (a fuller sound; the DT235 in comparison sounds a little metallic) and a little more comfortable, although the DT235 is quite good.  A few months go I bought a Dragonfly v1.0 USC DAC/AMP on sale (about $100).  I recently bought myself a Bravo V2 tube (actually hybrid) headphone amplifier for about $62 from amazon, with a free cable and free shipping.  The combination of the Dragonfly, the Bravo, and the DT235 is amazing!  The sound is full and lifelike. I wonder whether I will realize that my imagination is playing tricks on me, but for the last few days listening to Swiss Jazz radio on the internet has been just wonderful.

May 22, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #1,719 of 1,864

I got a chance to listen to both the Vali and the Valhalla at the Nashville meet, and I would say that the Vali was the more sterotypically "tubey" of the two, with a pretty lush, colored sound. The Valhalla was, to my ears, clearly several notches above the Vali in terms of neutrality, clarity, and detail retreival. The Vali is a fun little amp, and can give you an enjoyable sound for a pretty amazingly small amount of money. The Valhalla, on the other hand, is substantially more accomplished and has the ability to provide a much better view into what the music should sound like.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, and I only got to listen under meet conditions. And I actually really like the Vali for what it is and for what it sets out to do! But I found the Valhalla just to be in another league altogether, and it actually made me consider getting a tube amp again. YMMV.

May 22, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #1,720 of 1,864
  You may want to try a Bravo V2.   Here are my brief impressions of the Bravo V2 with the Beyer DT235 (edited from a post in another thread.)

I have a DT235 at the office.  It is a backup to my CAL!, which I find to be better (a fuller sound; the DT235 in comparison sounds a little metallic) and a little more comfortable, although the DT235 is quite good.  A few months go I bought a Dragonfly v1.0 USC DAC/AMP on sale (about $100).  I recently bought myself a Bravo V2 tube (actually hybrid) headphone amplifier for about $62 from amazon, with a free cable and free shipping.  The combination of the Dragonfly, the Bravo, and the DT235 is amazing!  The sound is full and lifelike. I wonder whether I will realize that my imagination is playing tricks on me, but for the last few days listening to Swiss Jazz radio on the internet has been just wonderful.

A little 'Metallic' sounding is how I'd describe my DT231s also. I thought they were great when I first got them years ago but I suppose I've been spoilt by better, fuller sounding phones since.  I still find them very comfortable though and they have that 'airy' spacious sound which all Beyers seem to be blessed with. I too listed to them on radio, but mainly classical music on FM or DAB on my receiver. They are good for classical and jazz.
I am also interested in the Bravo Ocean as an introductory valve amp. I was hoping it might complement all of my Beyer headphones. Has anyone actually used this with the DT990 250ohm and/or DT440/660/860 range (32ohm) ?
Can the gain be adjusted ?

May 23, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #1,721 of 1,864

A little 'Metallic' sounding is how I'd describe my DT231s also. I thought they were great when I first got them years ago but I suppose I've been spoilt by better, fuller sounding phones since.  I still find them very comfortable though and they have that 'airy' spacious sound which all Beyers seem to be blessed with. I too listed to them on radio, but mainly classical music on FM or DAB on my receiver. They are good for classical and jazz.
I am also interested in the Bravo Ocean as an introductory valve amp. I was hoping it might complement all of my Beyer headphones. Has anyone actually used this with the DT990 250ohm and/or DT440/660/860 range (32ohm) ?
Can the gain be adjusted ?

I do not have the headphones you listed.  I have tried the Dragonfly v1.0 and Bravo V2 with my Beyer DT250 250Ohm.  The results are also very good!  Also, on the Bravo V2, the gain cannot be adjusted.

May 24, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #1,722 of 1,864

I've been recording and using headphones since the '60's, but the level of performance in modern headphones is really remarkable. Back in the day, the Koss Pro-4AA were the cat's meow.  However, now we live in a new era.  The Koss phones are still excellent, but for me the DT-880 Pro's are my current "Flagship".  I haven't heard the HD-600,650,800 but do have the HD-595 which I like for their forward presence and great soundstage.  However, the clarity of the DT-880 is in a different league. The bass is markedly better too.  Not louder, or more dominant, but the Beyer's can reach lower in a way that retains clarity and detail.  For upper mids and treble, there's really no comparison as the DT-880 goes to places the HD-595 was not designed to achieve.  Don't get me wrong here though, I love the HD-595's especially for vocals or source material where I want to have that amazing soundstage impact which is impressive.

Hi, MKTRV6. We seem to have a few things in common. I too have been listening to headphones since the 60s. I use the DT880 Pro as my main phone but also have a HD595. I agree with you about the sound quality of both. The 880 is more extended on both ends but the 595 is very neutral as far as it goes. Both classic headphones in my opinion, with the DT880 being as good as many people would ever need.

May 24, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,723 of 1,864

Hello PP312,

Yes, in the '60's as a kid 12 years old I built my own headphones from some small drivers I yanked out of some old speakers lying around in my neighbors garage, with his help.  He was a big audio/ham hobbyist.  My parents........not so much!  I lived in the attic in Sacramento CA., and the heat in the summer meant I couldn't have any records there (air conditioning was not something we did until years later).   But the drive to get better sound led me to learn soldering and making my own switch console, and of course, headphones could deliver better sound that I could achieve with my cobbled together "stereo" made of scrap and discarded junk. 

Do you use a tube amp for the DT-880's, a SS amp, or both?  I find value in having both depending on my needs at the time.  Right now I'm into a new recording project and like the SS sound for the detail and stark clarity.  For just everyday music appreciation I run them from a LDIII.

May 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,724 of 1,864
Sounds like you're a lot more hands on than me. I did build my own speakers for a while, experimenting with crosssovers and time alignment etc (boy, you should have seen my bedroom/workroom!), but I'd never have attempted building headphones--wow.

Living in Australia I certainly appreciate the problem with heat and vinyl records. Or heat and cassette tapes, for that matter.

I use a modern Marantz SR4023 receiver for the 880s (stereo, not AV). I'm not really interested in tube amps for reasons of convenience; I want tone and volume control in 1db increments and a remote. I often listen to music while watching TV using subtitles (multi-tasking!) so don't want a rich, warm glow in the corner of my eye (or a heater in my room in Summer). I also don't want to be endlessly experimenting with tubes, as seems to be the norm around here.

I believe good sound can come with all the conveniences.
wink.gif

May 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,725 of 1,864

Well, I'm not that creative, but lack of any money and a desire to hear more was the driving force.   Here in Washington State heat is not the problem!  Staying dry, on the other hand, is a challenge.  I absolutely agree that a good source coupled with a SS amp makes the DT-880 sound amazing!  The tube amp softens the "speed" of the 880 and you get a more relaxed sound signature.  Very nice for long term listening.  The SS amp with the DT-880 I would say is more for critical listening and mixing.

One thing interesting to me and I see you are using the same approach, is using the headphone output of a receiver.  While my STR-V55 and SX-636 receivers don't have the absolutely quiet background that I would like, they have all the power you need.  I have a pair of HD-424's which are 2K ohms, and the receivers drive them to perfection.  The LDIII has to be turned up a fair bit to get there, but it also does a nice job.

The quest for the "black" background of silence is a noble quest and one that really improves the music for me.  This applies to both kinds of amps and emphasizes the importance of good source material.

Was listening to the 880's while playing Yothu Yindi's "Freedom" this morning.  Great sound.  Have fun "down under".

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back