BeyerDynamic owners unite...
May 25, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,726 of 1,864
  The quest for the "black" background of silence is a noble quest and one that really improves the music for me.  This applies to both kinds of amps and emphasizes the importance of good source material.

Have a look at the Phonitor 2... while I can't comment on the combination with the DT880 it pairs well with the T1 (and the T90 for that matter). And it is dead silent, offering a signal to noise ratio of -101dB (with the Beyerdynamic A2 on a similar level).

May 25, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,727 of 1,864

Hi there Plakat!  I love this Head-Fi site!  This morning I'm chatting with Australia, this afternoon with Austria, all united about our passion for music and headphones!  Thanks for your comment.

As for the Phonitor 2 paired with the T1................let me pause for a second to wipe off the drool!  I haven't heard the T1 yet, but really want to because of what I've read.  While it's true in this subjective hobby, no one headphone can satisfy everyone, I'm looking for a top flight all rounder system and what you describe is one of the candidates for me.  The Phonitor 2 is undoubtedly one of the most visually stunning headphone amps I've seen.  Do you use the "blending" feature often?  I'd be curious.

I've been into music for a very long time, but diving into the technology and advances in headphones is new to me.  I feel very uneducated, but I'm getting there.  There was a headphone meet here in Seattle not too long ago and can't wait for the next one.  I'll be there for sure and hope to sample the T1, Phonitor 2 and some of the other top tier gear and also to learn about new music that can be enjoyed.

Take care!

Mark

May 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #1,729 of 1,864

Hi there Plakat!  I love this Head-Fi site!  This morning I'm chatting with Australia, this afternoon with Austria

Well just don't get them confused, as a lot of Americans do, including George Bush.
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #1,731 of 1,864

Hi there Plakat!  I love this Head-Fi site!  This morning I'm chatting with Australia, this afternoon with Austria, all united about our passion for music and headphones!  Thanks for your comment.

As for the Phonitor 2 paired with the T1................let me pause for a second to wipe off the drool!  I haven't heard the T1 yet, but really want to because of what I've read.  While it's true in this subjective hobby, no one headphone can satisfy everyone, I'm looking for a top flight all rounder system and what you describe is one of the candidates for me.  The Phonitor 2 is undoubtedly one of the most visually stunning headphone amps I've seen.  Do you use the "blending" feature often?  I'd be curious.

I've been into music for a very long time, but diving into the technology and advances in headphones is new to me.  I feel very uneducated, but I'm getting there.  There was a headphone meet here in Seattle not too long ago and can't wait for the next one.  I'll be there for sure and hope to sample the T1, Phonitor 2 and some of the other top tier gear and also to learn about new music that can be enjoyed.

Take care!

Mark

Hi Mark,

yes, the international aspect of sites as head-fi is nice, sometimes helps to put things in perspective (other times it surges waves of arguments grounded in different views of the world :wink:

I consider the Phonitor 2 + T1 a very versatile combination and well worth the money. Most of the time I do not use its nearfield monitor simulation features, though they are well done and may be very useful in the setting the Phonitor initially targets.
Another worthy contender is the Beyerdynamic A2 amp, just released at High End in Munich: a lovely simple circuit layout with a beautiful chassis and sound quality to match.
If you can set aside the analog VU-meters of the Phonitor 2 there will be a version called the Phonitor Mini that shares most of the audio path with its big brother but will cost quite a bit less (~ €700 vs. €1600).

Well just don't get them confused, as a lot of Americans do, including George Bush.
biggrin.gif

Souvenir shops in Austria sometimes sell t-shirts reading 'There are no kangaroos in Austria' to avoid confusion.

May 26, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #1,732 of 1,864

Thanks Plakat,

Yes, the A2 is definitely worth a listen on my journey.  I'll see if I can find one to demo around here.

Regardless of any disagreements any of us may have, our social or financial status, or what part of the world we reside, our pursuit of music appreciation binds us to a common goal.  My daughter is in Mysore, India at present and I'm hoping she brings home some interesting music from that locality.

Later today is a recording session with one of the drummers I work with.  Always get pumped up for this and I'm up at 3am here to work on some of the guitar stuff.  The beauty of using headphones to rehearse is my wife and family are sound asleep and I'm in my little studio playing away!

Certainly it's enjoyable for all of us to try different phones/equipment in the pursuit of the purest sound.  It is a journey with no end.  It just gets better and better!

In fact, it's all good.

Mark

May 27, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,734 of 1,864
Have to cheer for a great pair of underdogs: DT 660.

Duncan, as for the DT 880, have you managed to get your hands on a pair with the stock cable?

I currently own the DT 660, and they're pretty awesome. In fact, there is a sort of appreciation thread located here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/559542/i-truly-believe-these-are-one-of-the-best-classical-music-headphones-ive-ever-heard

May 29, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,735 of 1,864
biggrin.gif

There are stupid people everywhere, not just America.

Souvenir shops in Austria sometimes sell t-shirts reading 'There are no kangaroos in Austria' to avoid confusion.

Really? And here I was certain it was just America.
biggrin.gif

No. Only our President makes us look stupid. The rest of us are generally pretty smart.

May 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,737 of 1,864
Sorry to change the subject (I'm blessed with being English (quarter Italian !) but have some very smart American (New England) cousins)

I have just come across a' Hifi Yearbook' from 1975 picked up from the Hifi shows, in Harrogate,  I visited with my dad at the time. Among the headphones listed are the the DT100s priced at £17.11 and DT48s (already a 37 year old design at the time) at £45. The other Beyers were DT96, DT100RR (with volume control), DT480, DT900 & DT900RR.

Thats one of the great thing about Beyer, their longevity with 100s still being an industry standard after all these years. The company doesn't change its headphones every few years, unlike even Sennheiser (hd25/600/650 excepted). They aren't into fashion they just make serious headphones still hand built in Germany.

The most expensive phones in the book were Koss ESP9 electrostatics at £79,more expensive than Stax at the time.

My dad bought a pair of Koss HV/ILC 'High Velocity' phones which were still in use some 25 years later when I bought the DT231s. They had individual volume controls on each cap. I remember listening to those hifi test LPs of the time : DSOTM and Tubular Bells and being blown away by the experience. They would probably sound terrible now though !

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #1,738 of 1,864
Moving up the chain, just bought a T1. Now the agony of waiting. :D

I demand to see a comparison with the Dt880's :D Seriously though, how do they compare? I always wanted to listen to the T1's.. too bad no one knows of Beyerdynamic's existence in my country.

Jun 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #1,740 of 1,864
Listening to a 60-ohm set of T51p's right now, and really digging 'em. Helluva set of portable closed cans!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back