BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Jun 4, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,741 of 1,864
No doubt T1 is the king of the hill. It's my gold standard on headphones. But what I discovered about Beyerdynamic phones is that there is very good value even on the low end models.

While browsing a headphone sale, I tried several low end models from different brands but didn't find anything worth buying. Nor spending time listening with if it was given to me for free. But when I tried the DT235, I can't believe its sound quality given the price point (sub $50). So I immediately picked one up.

Now I just got my 3rd Beyer phone the DT-250 80. It's almost 4 times as much as DT235 but DT250 is simply better in all aspect compared to DT235 especially the mids. However, It still can't compete with T1 in terms of micro detail clarity and sub bass extension. But when it comes to mids it can hold it's own against T1.

This is how I plan to use my phones

T1 = critical listening at home.
DT250 = private/close back phone at home or on the go.
DT235 = Watching movies on my laptop. (It used to be my on the go phone but DT250 servers that purpose now).

I think I'm stuck with Beyer. I can't find other phones which can completely replace my T1 as a flagship model. Same goes in the mid and low end models.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #1,742 of 1,864
No doubt T1 is the king of the hill. It's my gold standard on headphones. But what I discovered about Beyerdynamic phones is that there is very good value even on the low end models.

While browsing a headphone sale, I tried several low end models from different brands but didn't find anything worth buying. Nor spending time listening with if it was given to me for free. But when I tried the DT235, I can't believe its sound quality given the price point (sub $50). So I immediately picked one up.

Now I just got my 3rd Beyer phone the DT-250 80. It's almost 4 times as much as DT235 but DT250 is simply better in all aspect compared to DT235 especially the mids. However, It still can't compete with T1 in terms of micro detail clarity and sub bass extension. But when it comes to mids it can hold it's own against T1.

This is how I plan to use my phones

T1 = critical listening at home.
DT250 = private/close back phone at home or on the go.
DT235 = Watching movies on my laptop. (It used to be my on the go phone but DT250 servers that purpose now).

I think I'm stuck with Beyer. I can't find other phones which can completely replace my T1 as a flagship model. Same goes in the mid and low end models.
+1, that would explain my collection... DT770 Pro & Prem, DT880, DT1350, T90, and incoming T1. :D I've tried to make a FS thread for my lesser used Beyers but I've chickened out everytime. lol

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #1,743 of 1,864
Completed my collection today with the arrival of a T70 250Ohm (no T70p planned. yet :wink:
surprisingly the cups were more shallow than the T90 cups and the pads need a bit of a workout to get a better seal. amazingly light though.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,744 of 1,864
Completed my collection today with the arrival of a T70 250Ohm (no T70p planned. yet :wink:
surprisingly the cups were more shallow than the T90 cups and the pads need a bit of a workout to get a better seal. amazingly light though.

Any sound impressions? Thinking of getting a pair as a closed alternative to my DT880s, but I have concerns about the reported lack of bass. (I'm not a bass head, the DT880 gets it right for me)

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #1,745 of 1,864
I only had a short listen yesterday in the office before a colleague grabbed them while I was in a meeting... so I had no chance of a direct comparison with the T90 so far.

Overall they are in line with other Beyerdynamic headphones of the Tesla line, but bass seemed a bit weak indeed. Slightly pressure on the earcups changed that -- thats why I wrote above that the pads might need some usage to get softer, providing a better seal.

It's quite some time ago that I sold my DT770 and comparisons from memory are not very reliable. Nevertheless I think the T70 has quite noticeably less bass, but is less U-shaped. I would not recommend it to bassheads (but thats no surprise I guess). Can't compare to the DT880 unfortunately as I've actually never heard them.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #1,746 of 1,864
  I only had a short listen yesterday in the office before a colleague grabbed them while I was in a meeting... so I had no chance of a direct comparison with the T90 so far.

Overall they are in line with other Beyerdynamic headphones of the Tesla line, but bass seemed a bit weak indeed. Slightly pressure on the earcups changed that -- thats why I wrote above that the pads might need some usage to get softer, providing a better seal.

It's quite some time ago that I sold my DT770 and comparisons from memory are not very reliable. Nevertheless I think the T70 has quite noticeably less bass, but is less U-shaped. I would not recommend it to bassheads (but thats no surprise I guess). Can't compare to the DT880 unfortunately as I've actually never heard them.

Many thanks for the impressions!

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,749 of 1,864
Great news. :D For me as well, my T1s are being delivered today :dt880smile:

E: Just got them from the Mail Room. Woohoo!

Beyer BOOM!! Congrats man!!

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #1,750 of 1,864
Thanks! Really loving them. I used the T90s up until I got them. Unboxed and plugged them in thinking, "These can't possibly be THAT much better can they.......... :O OMG". I'm glad I didn't hear them at a meet. I think I would've spent way too much trying to buy them on the spot. lol

But thanks to the T1s... I finished up my DT770 Pro80s mod and they're now FS. Way too many cans. ;_;

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #1,751 of 1,864
Thanks! Really loving them. I used the T90s up until I got them. Unboxed and plugged them in thinking, "These can't possibly be THAT much better can they.......... :O OMG". I'm glad I didn't hear them at a meet. I think I would've spent way too much trying to buy them on the spot. lol

Hopefully you'll be expanding on these comments in the next few days/weeks.

Hopefully also you'll soon be changing your avatar. I keep trying to brush that damn thing off my screen, and one time I sprayed it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #1,752 of 1,864

But thanks to the T1s... I finished up my DT770 Pro80s mod and they're now FS. Way too many cans. ;_;

T90 will be the next Beyer in my list :)

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,753 of 1,864
Jun 11, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,754 of 1,864
I am proud owner of DT 990 PRO and like them very much. I've got a question to those who can advise - does it worth to re cable them with XLR connector and use my Audio-gd NFB-28 balanced out? Have someone done this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back