Best Headphones+DAC setup 2000USD
Jun 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:
Thanks!

Ive desided to go for the Schiit Bifrost + Lyr AMP/DAC setup. 

I havent really desided on which headphones yet...
Whats your guys tought about buying used?

Excellent choice!

I personally have no problem buying used, but prefer new if I can afford it, as I appreciate having a warranty.

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #17 of 31
Why is that? What would be a better overall AMP+DAC for those who wanna use more then 1 headphone on them?

My headphone choices are the HE-500, LCD2 & Denon AH-D7000, those who have been recommended here. 
Maby ill get 2 off them if I can find some used :p

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #20 of 31
awesome chhoice, i recommend LCD2 or D7000s. d7000s are particularly good for electronic, the LCD-2 has a cleaner sound though, and more neutral. if u want stronger bass get the denon, if u want higher quality sound with nice bass thats very tight and goes deep, get the LCD-2.

the lyr should easily power any of them. i have heard of d7000s being blown by the lyr though, dunno if that issue has been resolved yet or not though.

the LCD-2 and HE-500 will sound great out of the lyr tho.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #22 of 31
The Lyr is probably too noisy for sensitive headphones like D7000, I don't think they will be blown out though.  You just will not have a black background, but will probably hear a constant hiss or hum.  The Lyr is however an excellent choice for LCD-2 or HE-500.

I believe that even on the Schiit site they say that Lyr is too noisy for Denons.

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #24 of 31
I managed to find a dealer in my country who had Schiit, Audeze & HiFiMAN instock!
I also asked him if he thinks HE-500 is good for electro/house music, and he said that they indeed performed well in that genre. 

Whats your guys thought on He-500 + House/Electro music compared to LCD2s?
He-500 is alot cheaper so its a bit of a bargain if they are better then LCD2 if you ask me :p

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 31
Any way you can visit that dealer and try them before buying since i heard HE-500 with 2 different setups and with first one they had bloated bass which bleeds into other frequencies so music doesn't sound as intended while on other bass wasn't deep and punchy as track demands.I also read that Lyr isn't good match for D7000. I do own a pair to wide range of music and sound great with every style including those needing deep punchy bass

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 31
I've been loving the Burson Audio 160DS + LCD-2 combo. Fantastic sound, tons of power, and really stellar PRaT combined with the planar magnetics.

I already loved the NuForce HDP w/ linear power supply + Denon D5000 setup I have at work, but this home setup blows that out of the water.

Jun 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #27 of 31
Okey so Ive pretty much desided to go for the Schiit Lyr + Bi & HE-500.
Hopefully the LCD2 doesnt sound alot better :p

I cant unfortunaly test them cause the dealer is 5 hours away...

EDIT: Oh and ofcourse I need to say thanks alot for the help guys!

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #29 of 31
I think that your choice is wise. The he-500 is a special hp and since the price drop, it's one of the best bargains out there. The pairing with the amp is also known to be exceptional. I owned this combo, sold it and still regret it to this day. 
frown.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:
I've been loving the Burson Audio 160DS + LCD-2 combo. Fantastic sound, tons of power, and really stellar PRaT combined with the planar magnetics.

I already loved the NuForce HDP w/ linear power supply + Denon D5000 setup I have at work, but this home setup blows that out of the water.

I see you are using a burson too to drive your lcd2s.I have a burson amp too as one of my two headphone amps.I have the lcd2 v2 and this amp works very well with the audezes.
 I do not know if you have upgraded the fuse in your burson but may I suggest you try it if you have not done so yet.I have upgraded the fuse which is a 5 amp small slow blow fuse with a hifi tuning supreme fuse.I have found this to be a very worthwhile upgrade in that the sound of the amp tightens up a fair amount and the low level detail inproves afair amount as well.In conjunction with the fuse upgrade may I be so bold as to suggest a power cord upgrade for the burson.I have just bought a harmonic technology ac-11 power cord for my burson ha-160(amp only) and it has had made for a decidely more dimensional presentation.The clarity has also improved to a considerable degree makiing things alot more transparent sounding.
  If you do consider the ac-11 I suggest you go after a newer one with the latest furutech f11 ac connectors because I had tried an older one with the hubbel male plug and the furutech f15 connector and I found the newest cable that the harmonic tech people are producing sounded a  lot more transparent and had improved soundstage performance as well.
 Just thought this might help you get better prformance out of your gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back