Best headphone & amp for ambient music
May 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #46 of 168
@extrabigmehdi

Congratulations for your HD800.

When you say "But I don't find it very scary ( sub bass is not visceral)", you mean HD 595 was more capable in this part?

No, my srh940. Despite lacking some mid bass (well, some people would say this is overstated) , the srh940 is able  of nice sub bass. I've modded my srh940, so it might not be exactly stock sound.

May 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #47 of 168
Quote:
No, my srh940. Despite lacking some mid bass (well, some people would say this is overstated) , the srh940 is able  of nice sub bass. I've modded my srh940, so it might not be exactly stock sound.

Aha! you meant SRH940. Are they better than Denon D2000 or D5000? I ask this because all of them are closed.

May 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #49 of 168
Quote:
Aha! you meant SRH940. Are they better than Denon D2000 or D5000? I ask this because all of them are closed.

I didn't hear these denons headphone, but I know they please usually more easily than the srh940.
Denon is mostly aboout good bass & sub bass, and  controversed mids that some say are recessed.   The srh940 provided to me a somehow weird experience out of the box (piercing high, recessed bass) but then I modified them to my taste.
The fact is that I noticed for the first time a scary feeling on the srh940 with lustmord , and then I've understood what that music is about ( a feeling of oppression, from bass that is very low) . On the hd800 you hear the sub bass,  clean & detailled,  but it's almost as if it was a new age cd, which is the counter effect expected.

May 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #50 of 168
@TMRaven
Quote:
They cater to different preferences in sound.  One isn't really overall better than the other.

I see that you own HiFiMan HE-400 & Denon AH-D2000 currently and you had Sennheiser HD650. Between these headphones, which one do you think is better for Ambient/Noise music?

May 25, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #51 of 168
Perhaps you need to focus on the qualities you are looking for, instead of asking of what sounds best, because it"s a matter of taste.
Also ambient music is not exactly a mainstream genre.

You can already remove from you list the hd598, which is not able to deliver sub bass (since it's similar in that area to hd595, I   can tell you it's just absent).

Maybe  you'd like the srh940.
Sub bass , detailed, and decent soundstage for a closed can. You don't care much of mid bass since it's not often present on ambient. (I'm mean , it doesn't thump like techno) .And forget about the  expensive amp BS, my xonar stx just run fine every headphone I've tried , including hd800 (unless you'd want to nitpick ). Otherwise go to a store ,  perform tests.

May 25, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #53 of 168
Quote:
Perhaps you need to focus on the qualities you are looking for, instead of asking of what sounds best, because it"s a matter of taste.
Also ambient music is not exactly a mainstream genre.

You can already remove from you list the hd598, which is not able to deliver sub bass (since it's similar in that area to hd595, I   can tell you it's just absent).

Maybe  you'd like the srh940.
Sub bass , detailed, and decent soundstage for a closed can. You don't care much of mid bass since it's not often present on ambient.
And forget about the  expensive amp BS, my xonar stx just run fine every headphone I've tried , including hd800 (unless you'd want to nitpick ). Otherwise go to a store ,  perform tests.

Thanks again.

The qualities I'm longing for are:

1.Great Soundstage
2.Great Deep bass
3.Detailed
4.Neutral
5.Balanced

I can't focus on them, because I don't have any good experience with any decent headphone and there is not even 1 good headphone store (I can only check some Creative & Sony models). So I have to ask people who have these headphone and ask their opinions.

HD 598 removed from my list and replaced by Shure SRH940.I would update my list later, when I have some other recommendations.

And about amp, I have a Focusritr saffire pro 14 that most people say that it doesn't have a good amp.

May 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #54 of 168
Known for being the most detailed headphones at your budget : dt880, k701, srh940....
Known for having the best soundstage at your budget: hd595/ hd598 .
The k701 is know for having a very big soundstage but not everyone like it. Also there's the k550 wich offers the best soundstage for a closed can.
For the bass & sub - bass : denons are often recommended. Just after the denons, there are the ultrasone.

Now there are newer model, such like he400, srh1440, etc.. I don't know.

You can't have a headphone best in every category, do your search , decide what are your priorities, and good luck.

May 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #55 of 168
Hi again cartograph

I appreciate there is nothing quite like a new pair of headphones! I did buy a second hand pair of LCD's and they were mint, like new without a single defect. If you find the right buyer on head fi then maybe try. I say this because the d7000's are just the best headphones for ambient I have heard. I don't know about the d5000 or d2000. I suspect they will be along a similar line of sound.

As for the hd650's, to be honest I was really disappointed in these cans. Just seem to lack gusto until I drive them hard and then they tire me out. I should get rid or swap for 600's to be honest but they fit like slippers and are great for gaming. A waste I know!

Thanks for checking out my mix I am pleased you like. If you have any recommendations of similar tunes then I am always on the lookout for new great ambient music.

Keep posting as to how you get on with your quest.

May 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #56 of 168
Quote:
Thanks again.

The qualities I'm longing for are:

1.Great Soundstage
2.Great Deep bass
3.Detailed
4.Neutral
5.Balanced

-

I'd have a look into the 650's, I own the K702's and they are more for acoustic music IMO, especially orchestral. Brilliant soundstage that sounds attractive for ambient music however, IMO they don't do electronic music so good. It can sound weak and harsh at times.
The 650's are the ultimate chilling cans, good soundstage, good warm bass, very fast detailed midrange. Balanced, apart from a slight (but very nice) mid- bass hump. 

May 25, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #57 of 168
@extrabigmehdi

Quote:
You can't have a headphone best in every category, do your search , decide what are your priorities, and good luck.

Merci. I know that there is not one single headphone which handle all of my desired qualities at best, but maybe there is some headphone which are at least good at some of qualities and best at some others.

@trotoir

Thank you, dear trotoir.

I never thought that one day I think about a closed headphone for ambient music, because most of ambient listeners, prefer opens cans. But now with the help of some kind guys like you, I consider Denons as a strong choice now.

Quote:
As for the hd650's, to be honest I was really disappointed in these cans. Just seem to lack gusto until I drive them hard and then they tire me out. I should get rid or swap for 600's to be honest but they fit like slippers and are great for gaming. A waste I know!

Hmmm, so you are not that happy with them. I've heard most ambient listeners prefer HD 600 over them and it seems you are the same.

Quote:
Thanks for checking out my mix I am pleased you like. If you have any recommendations of similar tunes then I am always on the lookout for new great ambient music.

Check Yellow6.Purely amazing music, though not quite ambient. A little bit similar to your music.(You can listen to samples of his albums at Amazon)

Quote:
Keep posting as to how you get on with your quest.

Thanks again for your heartwarming words.

Peace.

May 25, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #58 of 168
Quote:
I'd have a look into the 650's, I own the K702's and they are more for acoustic music IMO, especially orchestral. Brilliant soundstage that sounds attractive for ambient music however, IMO they don't do electronic music so good. It can sound weak and harsh at times.
The 650's are the ultimate chilling cans, good soundstage, good warm bass, very fast detailed midrange. Balanced, apart from a slight (but very nice) mid- bass hump.

Gracias.

I'm a little bit confused now about HD 650's (read trotoir post / I know that headphone preference is a personal matter and depends on listener's ear ). Anyway, thanks friend!

May 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #59 of 168
If you are looking to use the fiio, you should consider the e17 instead of the e10. It's a very nice upgrade with new features at a reasonable price.

Regarding the hp choice. It would really come down to the he400 and d5k.  It's a close call really. But for your musical preference I'd go with....drum roll....he400 
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #60 of 168
@MattTCG

Grazie!

So, you choose HE-400. They seem really great & I like them so much (One of my top four choices, along with AKG Q701, Denon D5000 & Sennheiser HD 600). And you think Fiio E17 pairs good with them. But in your opinion Audio-GD NFB-12 (or another good desktop amp in this level) isn't a better choice?

And also, I've read at Headfonia that HE-400s are really dark headphones. Are they that dark?

I've got another question. Of course now, I don't have enough money to buy HE-500's, but only as a question, are they much greater than HE-400's?

Thanks in adnvance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back