Best headphone & amp for ambient music
May 25, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #61 of 168
Well, I've owned the AGD Compass, Maverick d1, e10 and LIttle Dot mk1+. There was a slight difference here with the Compass sounding best. But we're talking about $235 shipped for the nfb12 and about $139 shipped on the e17-that's what I paid anyway. I really like AGD products and to my ears, there might be a 5% difference in sound quality across the spectrum. Now the AGD will get much louder but the e17 gets as loud as I listen and for about $100 less. 

I am without a desktop amp for the first time in quite a while. And honestly I'm not missing it that much.

Really dark...no not really dark. There is somewhat of a juxtaposition with this hp. The he400 is crystal clear while having a dark syrupy presentation. I just love it. It's one of the best sounding hp I've ever owned. 

I would give up on the he500...actually I did give up on them. I had the lyr and the he500. I actually prefer the sound signature of the he400. The bass has more texture and impact than the 500. Now the 500 has some beautifully textured and natural mids. Really nice!! If that is your thing, then go for it. I love the he400 for the planar sound with some bass to it.

May 26, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #62 of 168
Thanks.

Quote:
Well, I've owned the AGD Compass, Maverick d1, e10 and LIttle Dot mk1+. There was a slight difference here with the Compass sounding best. But we're talking about $235 shipped for the nfb12 and about $139 shipped on the e17-that's what I paid anyway. I really like AGD products and to my ears, there might be a 5% difference in sound quality across the spectrum. Now the AGD will get much louder but the e17 gets as loud as I listen and for about $100 less. 

I am without a desktop amp for the first time in quite a while. And honestly I'm not missing it that much.

That' great!. I thought AGD is much better than portable amps like E17, but if E17 sounds so good, I can save 100 $.

Quote:
Really dark...no not really dark. There is somewhat of a juxtaposition with this hp. The he400 is crystal clear while having a dark syrupy presentation. I just love it. It's one of the best sounding hp I've ever owned. 

I would give up on the he500...actually I did give up on them. I had the lyr and the he500. I actually prefer the sound signature of the he400. The bass has more texture and impact than the 500. Now the 500 has some beautifully textured and natural mids. Really nice!! If that is your thing, then go for it. I love the he400 for the planar sound with some bass to it.

Aha. You prefer HE-400 over HE-500 and if HE-400 is better in your opinion, I can remove it from my wishlist (for future) now & sleep comfortable
normal_smile%20.gif

By the way, I forgot to ask you about HE-400 soundstage & neutrality in comparison to Q 701? and can I ask you why you prefer HE-400 over Denon D2000?

May 26, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #63 of 168
Quote:

That' great!. I thought AGD is much better than portable amps like E17, but if E17 sounds so good, I can save 100 $.

Certain headphones will benefit more from desktop amps then others.  From my experience, Q701s really like a desktop amp and the soundstage is clearly smaller when using a portable amp, even though a portable amp has no problem getting them loud enough.

May 26, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #64 of 168
Quote:
Certain headphones will benefit more from desktop amps then others.  From my experience, Q701s really like a desktop amp and the soundstage is clearly smaller when using a portable amp, even though a portable amp has no problem getting them loud enough.

I've got it. Thanks.

May 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #65 of 168
Hi, I'm here again.

1.I suggest you to take a look at K702 too. Some people say it's better than K701.

2.I'm here to tell you a little thing that maybe you didn't care about. Some guys don't like Q701 big soundstage. If you are looking for something that is not extreme in any qualities, think more about Q701. I don't know how to explain the point.I mean, some other headphones, don't have that very tall soundstage, but I think they are more natural sounding than Q701 & are more close to the original sound that the artist who created that song was wanted to sound. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really wanted to say this. (sorry for my limited knowledge of English language)

3.It's better to post your latest list again. But this time, choose only the top ones (those are closest ones to your desired one). In this way, others can vote better.

4.Keep posting until you find the best can.

good job.

May 26, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #66 of 168
Cavalli Liquid Fire with LCD2.2's  and Wyred4Sound DAC-2  I know this is out of your budget but if you get a chance some time at a meet or store check it out.  Fabulous results.

Music: Eno "Small Craft on a Milk Sea"  This is my go to for testing bass and impact.  I've got the higher res download and it delivers.  I've been listening to Fripp/Eno's "No *****footing" as well and it's incredible.  Some older Electronic/Synth music by Larry Fast Synergy "Cords"  All good.

I did see you are considering the AKG 701's and they were great phones for sure.  Or maybe a pair of Thunderpants?

May 26, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #67 of 168
@goldoon

Shokran.

Quote:
1.I suggest you to take a look at K702 too. Some people say it's better than K701.

I've read some reviews and side by side comparisons and I think I still prefer Q 701.

Quote:
2.I'm here to tell you a little thing that maybe you didn't care about. Some guys don't like Q701 big soundstage. If you are looking for something that is not extreme in any qualities, think more about Q701. I don't know how to explain the point.I mean, some other headphones, don't have that very tall soundstage, but I think they are more natural sounding than Q701 & are more close to the original sound that the artist who created that song was wanted to sound. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really wanted to say this. (sorry for my limited knowledge of English language)

Thanks a million for your brilliant note. I am fully aware of this issue, but I didn't know how to explain it. I afraid, if I say such a things, some guys say it's a subjective matter (of course it is, but I want your personal personal point of view). The adjective "Natural" that I repeated many times in this thread, mentioned to this matter. I meant I don't want a headphone with an unnatural soundstage or with an unnatural bass or treble or something that adds some external qualities (impurity) to the music.

Quote:
3.It's better to post your latest list again. But this time, choose only the top ones (those are closest ones to your desired one). In this way, others can vote better.

I'll do it tomorrow when I have some other recommendations.

Quote:
4.Keep posting until you find the best can.

Surely I will do this.

By the way your English is much better than me, so don't worry about that.I can fully understand your words.

May 26, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #68 of 168
@Icenine2

Quote:
Cavalli Liquid Fire with LCD2.2's  and Wyred4Sound DAC-2  I know this is out of your budget but if you get a chance some time at a meet or store check it out.  Fabulous results.

Music: Eno "Small Craft on a Milk Sea"  This is my go to for testing bass and impact.  I've got the higher res download and it delivers.  I've been listening to Fripp/Eno's "No *****footing" as well and it's incredible.  Some older Electronic/Synth music by Larry Fast Synergy "Cords"  All good.

I did see you are considering the AKG 701's and they were great phones for sure.  Or maybe a pair of Thunderpants?

Thank you.

I can only have your first recommendations in paradise (If I'll be a good boy, of course)
biggrin.gif
, but in real life its impossible, at least for 10 years. and if I get a chance to check them, I would do it with all of my heart.

Thanks for your vote to K701's.

May 27, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #69 of 168
Quote:
Thanks a million for your brilliant note. I am fully aware of this issue, but I didn't know how to explain it. I afraid, if I say such a things, some guys say it's a subjective matter (of course it is, but I want your personal personal point of view). The adjective "Natural" that I repeated many times in this thread, mentioned to this matter. I meant I don't want a headphone with an unnatural soundstage or with an unnatural bass or treble or something that adds some external qualities (impurity) to the music.

Exactly what I meant.

Quote:
I'll do it tomorrow when I have some other recommendations.

I'll wait to see this one.

May 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #72 of 168
Quote:
I hope there are some headphones which don't add many external qualities (impurity) to the music. At least not to a large extent.

Then most headphone recommended here are good, the final decision is a matter of taste. It seems you didn't consider other factors like comfort, and built quality. I'd go with what  malveaux has recommended form begin, he tried and reviewed many headphones (but I don't know if he's a serious ambient listener).
Also there are different quality of ambient recording, and much more lame ambient artists, than artists that are worth a listen. For some ambient, frankly, any headphone would do the trick.

May 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #73 of 168
Quote:
Then most headphone recommended here are good, the final decision is a matter of taste. It seems you didn't consider other factors like comfort, and built quality. I'd go with what  malveaux has recommended form begin, he tried and reviewed many headphones (but I don't know if he's a serious ambient listener).

Yeah, most of them are good, but as I mentioned earlier, I can't test them myself, so I should count on others views.
malveaux recommendations are really helpful and both of them are among my top choices.

Quote:
Also there are different quality of ambient recording, and much more lame ambient artists, than artists that are worth a listen. For some ambient, frankly, any headphone would do the trick.

Of course ambient music (no commercial type) is not one of those kinds of music which artists record them in great studios with expensive equipments. Most ambient albums are limited to (at most) 3000 (and some of them are even limited to 10). But still I don't think any headphone do the trick.

May 27, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #74 of 168
Quote:
 But still I don't think any headphone do the trick.

Depends of the ambient.

Quote:
Most ambient albums are limited to (at most) 3000 (and some of them are even limited to 10).

There are countless people that promote  themselves as "ambient artist", you just have to look at  the shoutbox at last.fm ( http://www.last.fm/tag/ambient), this is insane.

May 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #75 of 168
Quote:
There are countless people that promote  themselves as "ambient artist", you just have to look at  the shoutbox at last.fm ( http://www.last.fm/tag/ambient), this is insane.

It is because most people think ambient is an easy kind of music to create & they only need a laptop & some programs with prepared sounds. Of course some of them make amazing ambient music out of these limited tools, but most of them not. But I don't see anything wrong with promoting their music at last.fm. In this way they can hear others ideas & make better works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back