balanced tube amp from little dot
May 26, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #136 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
emember $600 then with $100-200 shipping, and most likely 35% duties (afaik Little Dot won't help you cheat duties)

so it seems you're getting close to $1000 territory

pretty reasonable for 700-800 for a balanced tube amp..

luckily my country only have 7% custom tax

May 26, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #138 of 184
How hard would it be to have two headphone outputs? One 4 pin and two 3 pin.

I think the 4 pin is better. I never understood why Headroom originally went with 3 pin in the first place. Maybe because it looks cooler.

May 26, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #139 of 184
The Headroom standard is completely messed up, not only using 3-pin xlr, but using female ones(as opposed to the standard for xlr output - male).

I believe that they have done that due to the availability of Neutrik combo plugs(XLR/TRS).

4-pin xlr makes more sense, the only out-of-the-factory-balanced-ready-dynamic-headphones I know have 4-pin xlr
k1000smile.gif

I think that in a small 600$ amp like that, two more connectors will really affect the final price(not only they need to add two more connectors, they need to move to a larger case).

Anyway, little dot can provide small converter cable.

May 26, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #140 of 184
I believe that one reason HeadRoom used dual 3-pin male XLR plugs was so that a combination plug outlet could be installed on the amp, which could accept either one 3-pin male XLR or a 1/4 single-ended phono plug. This way, either one balanced headphone or two single-ended headphones could be used at the same time.

If you look at photos of the current HeadRoom balanced amps, you'll see that they have these combination plug outputs.

I currently have several headphones recabled with dual 3-pin XLRs. No balanced amp yet. I would be much more interested in this Little Dot balanced amp if it had dual 3-pin XLR outputs.

With the 4-pin XLR configuration, I would have to use a 4-pin XLR to dual 3-pin XLR adapter. That's easily done, similar to the 1/4 phono to dual 3-pin XLR adapter I'm using to connect the balanced headphones to single-ended amps. Not ideal, though.

May 26, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #141 of 184
Even if they don't provide a converter cable, getting one made is still pretty easy and fairly inexpensive.

May 26, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #142 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the 4-pin XLR configuration, I would have to use a 4-pin XLR to dual 3-pin XLR adapter. That's easily done, similar to the 1/4 phono to dual 3-pin XLR adapter I'm using to connect the balanced headphones to single-ended amps. Not ideal, though.

Why is it not ideal? On each of the three pin plugs one of the pins isn't used IIRC. Thats why I was questioning the Headroom standard. If you use quality cables and plugs an adapter shouldn't affect the SQ.

May 26, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #143 of 184
Adapters using heavy XLR connectors are not all that practical for regular use as they weigh down the cable. This can be a real PITA depending on how you have your rig setup.

May 28, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #144 of 184
Got an email from david responding to my query:
Quote:

From the current release candidate build forward, the Little Dot MK VI will have balanced outputs on both front and rear panels to facilitate balanced use. Unbalanced outputs will no longer be supported by physical hardware. We recommend the Little Dot MK IV / SE for unbalanced use as the primary niche of the MK VI is balanced use.

Great communications as always. I'm pulling back on my purchase, I think. This is a true balanced only amp. Nothing wrong with that. But I'm distinctly unbalanced right now. (Just ask my coworkers.
wink.gif
)

May 28, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #145 of 184
Quote:

From the current release candidate build forward, the Little Dot MK VI will have balanced outputs on both front and rear panels to facilitate balanced use.

but the balanced outputs on the rear are male, so that doesn't really help and how would you control the volume? i guess most people who want to use this amp (who don't reterminate) will need an adapter. not a deal breaker, but not ideal. hopefully they will recognize this and at least include an adapter (but i doubt it).

May 28, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #146 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the balanced outputs on the rear are male, so that doesn't really help and how would you control the volume? i guess most people who want to use this amp (who don't reterminate) will need an adapter. not a deal breaker, but not ideal. hopefully they will recognize this and at least include an adapter (but i doubt it).

What do you mean by "how would you control the volume"??

May 29, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #148 of 184
Usually they are fixed? Not sure about that... most headphone amps that have outputs on the rear act as a preamp when you use those outputs. A fixed level preamp is pretty useless.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #149 of 184
hmm.

yes. you are probably right about that. i think i had the two mixed up. either way, the connections on the back are still wrong, so it doesn't really matter.

May 29, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #150 of 184
They are wrong for balanced headphones, but right for balanced output to a power amp... If you really want to use the outputs on the back for your headphones, some simple female-female XLR adapters would allow this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back