balanced tube amp from little dot
Mar 13, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #106 of 184
The majority want to buy a new amp, with a warranty, that they can burn-in themselves and enjoy the experience of their "new baby" right out of the box. You can't fault them for wanting and preferring that personal experience. It is a part of the "Joy" most everyone here feels about audio!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #109 of 184
I just checked the little dot site and David said that the thing weighs 55 pounds! This is going to make international shipping extremely expensive. My MKIII weighs 7 pounds and it cost me $40 to ship.

If they can keep the shipping costs under $300 then this would still be a good buy. Is there as such thing as balanced tube amp for $1000? Pair this thing with a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC and you would be good to go.

May 21, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #110 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's a balanced amp using one TRS plug instead of the HeadRoom balanced 2x XLR standard?

Nope. I have been communicating with David at Little Tube. The front headphone jack is standard unbalanced. Balanced headphones plug in at the rear.

I am on the waiting list for this amp. Production just started and apparently mine will ship soon. Available only in China for now.

May 21, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #112 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am on the waiting list for this amp. Production just started and apparently mine will ship soon. Available only in China for now.

post some pics when it arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #113 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Soundcard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what are the benefits of using a balanced amp without a balanced source or amps - relative to the same general design, tubes, specs in a non-balanced amp ?

I believe that there are no particular benefits or disadvantages (except that balanced amps tend to be well-made and therefore are usually good unbalanced amps too). It's purely an issue of versatility. Just because you recable one pair of phones, doesn't mean that you won't still have unbalanced cans. I am quire sure that I will never recable my Darths...

This amp is killing two birds for me. I have an immediate requirement for a tube amp to drive my 600 ohm DT880s properly and almost pulled the trigger on an MKIV SE. But I am already planning for balanced - not far in the future, just not this year. Timing and location conspired to make me an early adopter of the MKVI.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
post some pics when it arrives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, I will. Promise! :)

May 21, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #114 of 184
I was talking about benefits
wink.gif
If there are no strong benefits and as most of us do not use balanced phones and certainly not a balanced source (very rare), than half of the interest for this amp is already gone. We should then wait for an amp with similar design (and tubes etc.) but single ended, which should be much cheaper, lighter etc.

May 21, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #115 of 184
Quote:

wink.gif
If there are no strong benefits and as most of us do not use balanced phones and certainly not a balanced source (very rare), than half of the interest for this amp is already gone. We should then wait for an amp with similar design (and tubes etc.) but single ended, which should be much cheaper, lighter etc.

Yes, You're right.

May 21, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #116 of 184
Quote:

wink.gif

it's pretty obvious that if your system is not balanced (source, phones), there is no need for a balanced amp.

May 22, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #117 of 184
If your source is not balanced, but your amp and headphones are, you may miss out on some sonic benefits of a fully balanced setup, but will still have twice the voltage swing and current as compared to the same amp unbalanced... so hard to drive headphones will still benefit here.

May 22, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #118 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would wager they are not pineapple cans. Do you think that canned pineapples are common is Asia? They have fresh ones there you know! I would bet more on something like condensed milk.

Just for information, I did ate quite a lot of canned pineapples when I was in China and it's the most common canned fruit in the place that I lived there at the time.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #119 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your source is not balanced, but your amp and headphones are, you may miss out on some sonic benefits of a fully balanced setup, but will still have twice the voltage swing and current as compared to the same amp unbalanced... so hard to drive headphones will still benefit here.

I'm curious. What about not so hard to drive headphones? Will they benefit from this too? Thanks!

May 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #120 of 184
Not really sure... you'd have more reserve power, which is always good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back