balanced tube amp from little dot
Mar 12, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #92 of 184
I was considering a MK IV SE but then remembered this thread. Gonna wait for it
tongue.gif

Email from david:
Ah our balanced Little Dot is currently still in the prototyping phase, and I would tentatively say a mid-year to 3rd quarter release date!

Best regards,
David

Looks like i'll have some time to play with my GS-X before then
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #94 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just saw that. looks like it will use a 4 pin plug. that's not ideal.

Perhaps not ideal but forward thinking. I really don't like dual 3-pin XLRs. Just so much weight on the cables. One of the reasons I'm loving my balanced Mini³ with 4-pin XLR out.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #95 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At $699 it is going to be the least expensive commercial balanced headphone amp BY FAR (next in line is HeadRoom's Balanced Desktop at $1000), it's gonna be huge.

Fixed.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #97 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please elaborate?

Well, you could quite easily build one of the entry level DIY amps (PIMETA, M^3, CKKIII, Millet Max) in balanced operation. All you need is two of everything and a 4-channel pot and you are good to go.

I plan on building a setup with a Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC and balanced CKKIII for around $500 this summer.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #98 of 184
DIY is great fun! I like to explore this side of the hobby myself to a point. In examining the $/performance of any DIY, to a finished commercial product, factor in at least $20/hr for your time. Don’t skimp in tallying research, parts ordering, sorting things out, soldering time, ... DIY is a hobby unto itself and not too comparable dollars and cents(and sense)wise for those who are not technically inclined or comfortable in pursuing it.

Rewarding as it can be, DIY is not for the majority.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #99 of 184
There are something called DIYFS

DIY For Sale
wink.gif

You can commission somebody else to build you the amp you want.

I don't think I can go back to commercial amps since I got my M^3. Except those from HeadAmp.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #100 of 184
The forces of economies of scale would seldom allow your theory of home built supioriority to truely trump a lean small scale production operation. Unless you are talking about a buddy who builds you something as a favor. Unless the DIY for sale guys do it for pleasure at roughly minimum wage. If so, where do you send it to have a repair next year when this guy has moved on and is pursuing his real career?

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #101 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you could quite easily build one of the entry level DIY amps (PIMETA, M^3, CKKIII, Millet Max) in balanced operation. All you need is two of everything and a 4-channel pot and you are good to go.

I plan on building a setup with a Twisted Pear Audio Opus DAC and balanced CKKIII for around $500 this summer.

Kinda like this?

But, the Little Dot looks VERY tempting - about time the manufacturers woke up to budget balanced.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #102 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The forces of economies of scale would seldom allow your theory of home built supioriority to truely trump a lean small scale production operation. Unless you are talking about a buddy who builds you something as a favor. Unless the DIY for sale guys do it for pleasure at roughly minimum wage. If so, where do you send it to have a repair next year when this guy has moved on and is pursuing his real career?

You're talking about economies of scale and the audiophile market....um
rolleyes.gif

There are many examples where commercial amp makers screwed buyers with their amps, but I'm not gonna tell you who they're, because you can easily find out by yourself.

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #103 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kinda like this?

But, the Little Dot looks VERY tempting - about time the manufacturers woke up to budget balanced.

I've spoken to you briefly about this Pab. Your frankenMAX was my inspiration.

After careful deliberation I'm leaning towards CKKIII, but I signed up for Rockhopper's demo program to hear it first.

Mar 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #104 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're talking about economies of scale and the audiophile market....um
rolleyes.gif

There are many examples where commercial amp makers screwed buyers with their amps, but I'm not gonna tell you who they're, because you can easily find out by yourself.

Talk about quoting out of context, and all anyone has to do is look back two postings... Jeez.

I'll admit LD has demonstrated some "customers as Beta testers" practices. This is inadvisable and will bite them in the ass if it becomes an incurable pattern.

Just read what I said and don't reinvent my words.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #105 of 184
Just to make my point clear, I'm just saying, if there are advantage and disadvantage from both commercial offerings and DIY design, why do you limit you choice to only commercial?

When Headroom offers different modules to upgrade, Single Power offers different component to get, DIY can offer even greater customization.
DIY is about tailoring and good $/perfomance, when Tyll and Ray were impressed by beta22, that means something, and if beta22 is to be offered as a commercial amp, it's not surprising that it will be price at about $10k, what do you think it's $/performance?

What if you commercial manufacturer shut down their door on the day when you receive your amp? who is going to take care of it?

If you haven't tried and DIY amps yet, get one from a professional builder like thrice (Rockhopper audio) or MisterX, you'll be impressed too.

PS: economies of scale is about efficiency, at certain point, you'll have minimum cost, which leads to a greater profit to manufacturer, it's not equal to better quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back