balanced tube amp from little dot
May 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #121 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your source is not balanced, but your amp and headphones are, you may miss out on some sonic benefits of a fully balanced setup, but will still have twice the voltage swing and current as compared to the same amp unbalanced... so hard to drive headphones will still benefit here.

This is interesting. So if I understand: you are saying that even before I get a balanced DAC (still sometime down the road), if I recable my 600 ohm DT880s (which qualify as hard to drive), I will see an actual performance improvement by comparison with the current unbalanced cabling, i.e. the recabling alone allows twice the voltage swing with the MK VI! If so, that could be an interim step...

May 23, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #122 of 184
Even with the soup cans I think It looks really good.
biggrin.gif
Hopefully I can afford something like this one day
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #123 of 184
Cooperpwc - That's right, as long as the balanced amp does some sort of single ended to balanced conversion.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #124 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's a balanced amp using one TRS plug instead of the HeadRoom balanced 2x XLR standard?

Apologies. I said "Nope" but you were apparently right. Great new pictures of the production amp here. It show a four pin jack in the front.

Which confuses me because David told me "Regarding unbalanced use, yes you will be able to use your normal (unbalanced) headphones via a normal headphone jack in the front." I have an email in to him to clarify. Perhaps it comes with an adaptor.

Man, is it a beauty. :)

May 25, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #125 of 184
20085257164263650.jpg

20085257164260720.jpg

it looks really nice.

but i wonder if they know that most people who are balanced use 2 3-pin XLRs. if they only offer the 4-pin jack, that will certainly affect sales.

May 25, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #126 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but i wonder if they know that most people who are balanced use 2 3-pin XLRs. if they only offer the 4-pin jack, that will certainly affect sales.

Agreed

May 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #127 of 184
To me it seem as if it is possible to use 2 3-pin XLRs, but then you would have to connect them on the backside.? Or are those "out" plugs only for it to function as a pre-amp in a stereo as well?

Can someone who know the designer of this smoooooth amp contact him and ask if he could make a 2 3-pin XLRs version too, before he kills a large portion of his customer base? Cause I really want this amp,
smily_headphones1.gif
but I only have 2 3-pin XLRs phones.
frown.gif
(But then againg that may be easily converted..)

May 25, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #129 of 184
i looked through the little tube chinese forum, it does not say anything about the 3pin xlr out is for headphon, but did stated that the 4pin xlr is for headphone, i assume the 2x 3pin xlr out is for preamp?
i dont undestand most balanced headphone out use 2x 3pin xlr, since balanced headphone only need 4 signal r+,r-,l+,l-, so it's logical to use 4pin xlr.
may be people use 2 x 3pin xlr can ask little dot to custom made the 3pin xlr out for their heapdhone output, i think it's doable , i seen people asked sword yang to custom amp for their headphone

May 26, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #130 of 184
it's not about being logical; it's about what the vast majority of people with balanced phones already have/use - which is, 2 3-pin XLRs. if the amp is only offered with a 4-pin jack, that would be a huge mistake on the part of little dot. that it doesn't have a SE jack too is also going to turn people off.

we'll see. still looks very interesting though.

May 26, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #131 of 184
i see your point about makig a 3 pin xlr out for the majority of balanced headphone people own,that's what made things sell. just trying to understand myself why we have the 3pin xlr out in the first place, one of the pin in the 3 pin xlr never get to use

May 26, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #132 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by minivan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i see your point about makig a 3 pin xlr out for the majority of balanced headphone people own,that's what made things sell. just trying to understand myself why we have the 3pin xlr out in the first place, one of the pin in the 3 pin xlr never get to use

The Dual 3 pin XLR standard began with Headroom who, I believe, built the first balanced headphone amp.

May 26, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #133 of 184
Here's my two cents about the 4-pin XLR connector that LD has apparently opted for in the MkVI. I believe the reasoning goes something like the people who already own a balanced amp (and headphones) will not be much interested in a ~$600 chinese product, so the majority of their customers will be people new to the balanced amp scene to whom the recabling cost will be the same (if not less) with the single 4-pin XLR config.

- DoA

May 26, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #134 of 184
i hope that's not their reasoning, as that would be very foolish. to increase sales of the unit it should be as widely compatible as possible. lots of people who already have single-ended amps buy little dot's current offerings to try them out and compare with their other equipment (myself included).

the only valid reasons for choosing a non-standard connection, imho, are to significantly reduce the cost of the unit or to significantly improve the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back