balanced tube amp from little dot
Jun 27, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #166 of 184
The dual XLRs were originally adopted by Headroom, makers of the first balanced headphone amps, to save space on the front panel. They use the Neutrik combo jacks on their amps which accept either a 3 pin XLR or a standard 1/4" connection. By doing this, they can have 2 combo jacks which accommodate either a balanced headphone or two unbalanced headphones. Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea i believe it can also balance out through dual 3-pin XLR. However, the output XLR sockets are male and not in standard with the female XLR jacks from Headroom. Either way, recabling/adapters might be required.

I would imagine those are preamp outputs as that is the standard for an XLR output. My CD player has male XLR sockets for its balanced out, and my headphone amp has female XLR sockets on the back for its inputs.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #167 of 184
some information from the LD forum, comments by Yang.

Quote:

i have HD 650's and they dont come with the balanced plug, where may i get one? and when is this amp gonig to be released for purchase?

We can customize for your HD650 (or 600/580) of the balance line, MK VI in about mid-July, can supply. About prices please contact David.

Quote:

We headphone output in two ways:
1, in front of the XLR 4pin
2, behind the XLR 2x3pin
Headphone plugs can be inserted in front of, can also be inserted behind.
Of course, behind the 2 x3pin XLR can also as a former power amplifier output.

Quote:

Is it cooled passively or does it have fans inside that blow out from the holes surrounding the larger tubes?

Is the natural ventilation cooling.

Quote:

How much longer until they are available to be shipped to the US?

In about mid-July.
Thanks!

Quote:

The Little Dot MK VI is designed to be a fully balanced amplifier. At the current itme, any adapters for unbalanced input will have to be sourced from a third party.

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #170 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very true, I'm not sure either. All I know is everyone seems to be using it nowadays so having them all switch to 4-pin XLR may be near impossible. In all honestly it would be a bit more convenient to just have 1 connector instead of 2.

The "real" XLR 3-pin connector used for balanced phones is actually a combo connector from Neutrik which has an SE jack in the middle and the 3 pins around it so you can connect either SE cans stereo or one channel of balanced cans. This is also why for the first time they used female XLR connector (as seen on the amp side) for an output, as it's physically impossible to fit the jack and the 3 pins around on a male connector, neither on the 4 pin female XLR connector. However, lot of designs use "regular" 3 pin XLR where it just don't make sense having them instead of 4pin XLRs (besides for compatibility with already terminated cans).

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #173 of 184
Anyone tried turning off the fans, or at least swaping them out for larger 120mm ones? I have talked to David and he told me that the stock 80mm may be swaped out for larger diameter and that if the surrounding temp is below 27 degC you may turn them completely off! Anyone did this already?

Btw, how loud are the stock fans?

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #175 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by starcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone tried turning off the fans, or at least swaping them out for larger 120mm ones? I have talked to David and he told me that the stock 80mm may be swaped out for larger diameter and that if the surrounding temp is below 27 degC you may turn them completely off! Anyone did this already?

Btw, how loud are the stock fans?

The stock fans is like any cheap PC fan, it sounds like Boeing 747 engine LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

I would not recommand to turn off the fans unless you want to cook some bacon and eggs for breakfast on it. There is 6 tubes in total, they do emit a lot of heat!

I like to have my amp running cool, less stress on tye amp and it's better for the components in the long run.

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #176 of 184
One of the very few balanced cans out of the factory was the K1000 (attached a picture) and it uses a 4-pin XLR connector. I also saw the K1000 pictured with the LD MkVI so that I think this might be one of the reasons why the LD MkVI has a 4-pin XLR ooutput :)

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #179 of 184
Depends on the price...for 650 I'll mod the damn thing to lose the fan noise and keep the active cooling...if it was an amp that cost 1500US I'd expect the case to be much larger and the fans in it taken out of the design.

This amp represents a whole new level of performance for a wicked price. As always I'm going to wait at least 8 to 10 months to see what happens with current production MK VI's before buying mine (if there is no issues with longevity at that point).

The potential on this amp is what I'm licking my chops over, there is room to be exploited in that chassis for massive SQ improvements
biggrin.gif
( IMHO of course )

Peete

Sep 21, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #180 of 184
David also said that they are looking for some quieter fans and when found, they will be sent out to the original customers. I think that some 120mm fans would be nice, ideally with a little speed control so you can pull the speed down a bit.

The fans are a touch loud if you have Senn's and are listening to classical music. Otherwise, I don't notice them at all. (And I have my amp sitting on my desk, about 2 feet away from me.)

When David said you can turn them off if your keep things below 37d C, did he mean ambient temp?

-gk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back