balanced tube amp from little dot
May 29, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #151 of 184
It's starting to sound like the easiest way would be to change the wiring of the headphone cables to 4 pin, or make an adapter so the 4 pin can be used.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure having the 4 pin on your headphone cable, would be the "best" way for the folks who are just now getting into balanced. Those with several sets of balanced headphones, will no doubt want to adapt them.
smily_headphones1.gif
They have too much invested in their existing balanced cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unless I win the lottery, it looks like I'll be passing on the MKVI. Recent funding problems may keep me in "single ended land" for the rest of this year. I'd love to do a review on the MKVI, so if any of you guys get one, and have a balanced HD-650 cable, send them my way!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
I can always dream.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #153 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think those already with a balanced set-up probably wouldn't be much interested in the MkVI.

@ $699 I think a lot of people with balanced SS amps would want to try balanced tubes...

I have half of a balanced setup and I've been waiting for an affordable tube amp like this for almost a year...

Latest ETA from David is 5 to 7 weeks!

May 30, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #154 of 184
SubDiv;4269885 said:
@ $699 I think a lot of people with balanced SS amps would want to try balanced tubes...
You might be right about that, I just rarely see people with higher end (aka big $) solid state amps switch over to the current line of single-ended LD amps, although depending on the reviews the MkVI gets there might be some people who currently own a SS balanced set-up interested. I still think the vast majority of MkVI buyers will be people new to the balanced scene though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubDiv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Latest ETA from David is 5 to 7 weeks!

can't wait...
evil_smiley.gif

May 30, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #155 of 184
Dept_of_Alchemy;4270201 said:
SubDiv;4269885 said:
@ $699 I think a lot of people with balanced SS amps would want to try balanced tubes... Quote:

You might be right about that, I just rarely see people with higher end (aka big $) solid state amps switch over to the current line of single-ended LD amps, although depending on the reviews the MkVI gets there might be some people who currently own a SS balanced set-up interested. I still think the vast majority of MkVI buyers will be people new to the balanced scene though.

I have to agree that this is a very accessible offering, especially for people new to the balanced scene.

I would rather wait for Craig's (eddiecurrent.com) balanced headphone amp/preamp that I hear is being released later this summer and is in the Zana Deux price range.

However, some positive reviews for the MKVI might
change my opinion.
I'm very curious to hear about how it sounds.
(especially compared the other high-end balanced tube offerings... SP Extreme, RSA B52)

I hope this amp is well received because I'd like to see more balanced setups out there.

May 30, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #156 of 184
Dept_of_Alchemy;4270201 said:
SubDiv;4269885 said:
@ $699 I think a lot of people with balanced SS amps would want to try balanced tubes... Quote:

can't wait...
evil_smiley.gif

Are you going to order a MKVI?? A review by you would be very nice indeed!

May 30, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #157 of 184
I was going to buy the LD VI, but since it only comes with a 4 pin XLR I'll pass as I have invested in dual 3 pin XLR cables for my 650s. This is a dumb move from LD. This amp should of had two 3 pin XLRs and one SE input on the front end.
frown.gif

May 30, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #158 of 184
i'm actually okay with the idea of not including a SE jack. it would be nice, but really once you go balanced, your SE headphones get very little to any use. but it would be nice and more convenient if they offered as an option the dual 3-pin XLR jack - even if at additional cost. i also wonder if the volume control uses a stepped attenuator. i somehow doubt it. but again, as an option it would be a good thing to offer. like one of their other amps, they could have the standard and then SE version.

we'll see. this amp looks very interesting. and i would love to hear some impressions or the amp itself. i am definitely interested in a tube balanced amp. the one i am most likely eyeing is the upcoming amp by eddie current. it's supposedly due out in august. never know though. either way, it is nice to see more balanced amps (esp tube based) coming to the market.

May 30, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #159 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the one i am most likely eyeing is the upcoming amp by eddie current. it's supposedly due out in august.

I heard the prototype at the national meet and it was very nice... not really balanced though as it uses transformers on the inputs and outputs to achieve that. The actual amplification stage is single ended as far as I know.

May 30, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #160 of 184
any idea how many watts is the output for this little dot amp?

May 30, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #161 of 184
I might have considered getting it to try out since its cheap IF it had SE and used 3 pin. I have many headphones that arent really worth balancing so they stay SE and the balanced headphones I do have are 2x3pin. Its a real hassle having to get a adapter, unless they include one of course. If people new to balanced setups decide to get this and have their headphones terminated to 4 pin XLR, if they ever decide to upgrade the amp they will also need an adapter, so either way its a hassle.

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #162 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might have considered getting it to try out since its cheap IF it had SE and used 3 pin. I have many headphones that arent really worth balancing so they stay SE and the balanced headphones I do have are 2x3pin. Its a real hassle having to get a adapter, unless they include one of course. If people new to balanced setups decide to get this and have their headphones terminated to 4 pin XLR, if they ever decide to upgrade the amp they will also need an adapter, so either way its a hassle.

I don't understand why the 2 x 3-pin XLR plugs was used in the first place. Since the 3rd/ground pin is attached to nothing anyway, why not just make a 4-pin XLR? Besides the hassle of plugging in 2 connectors, the two metal XLR plugs also weigh incredibly heavy. I think the 1 x 4-pin XLR will/should be the new standard.

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #163 of 184
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand why the 2 x 3-pin XLR plugs was used in the first place. Since the 3rd/ground pin is attached to nothing anyway, why not just make a 4-pin XLR? Besides the hassle of plugging in 2 connectors, the two metal XLR plugs also weigh incredibly heavy. I think the 1 x 4-pin XLR will/should be the new standard.

Very true, I'm not sure either. All I know is everyone seems to be using it nowadays so having them all switch to 4-pin XLR may be near impossible. In all honestly it would be a bit more convenient to just have 1 connector instead of 2.

Jun 27, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #164 of 184
it seem like this amp can be used on 2x 3pin xlr as well as 4 pin xlr headphone as stated by sword yang in this thread
Viewing a thread - NEW! Little Dot MARK VI balance tube Amp.
"We headphone output in two ways:
1, in front of the XLR 4pin
2, behind the XLR 2x3pin
Headphone plugs can be inserted in front of, can also be inserted behind.
Of course, behind the 2 x3pin XLR can also as a former power amplifier output."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back