Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 13, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #991 of 1,050
Hello everyone, does anybody know where to get the original MSR7b pads in Europe? My original pair got worn out after 3 years of daily usage. I've got some original MSR7 pads from the official website thinking they are the same as in the MSR7b, but it turns out the pads are different. The MSR7 pads are shallower, and they reduce the bass compared to the stock pads. Another side effect is that they make the treble crazy airy. The MSR7 pads do sound nice in quiet environment, but for portable usage (my main use case for these headphones) and for comfort I think I still would prefer the original MSR7b ones - but can't seem to find them for sale.

Jun 13, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #992 of 1,050
Hi, scroll down this page and you will see the earpads listed.

But I can recommend Dekoni Elite Sheepskin over the original pads. They noticeably improve the low-end.

Actually, I just wanted to write how much I like the MSR7b with the Tolis-mod and the Dekoni pads. (BTW, even without the mod the pads are recommended.)
I did apply 1 ply of a paper handkerchief in front of the drivers to smoothen the trebble a little bit (2 plies gave the impression that something was missing). This page helped me in my choice. Ah, and I use a Fiio K7 and a balanced cable.

It sometimes seems too good to be true, especially given the low weight of the headphone. Shouldn't something this good not be heavier, or applying more pressure to the head? And I am still a but on the lookout for an alternative in the same sound atmosphere, but then again: can another closed-back headphone truly offer a meaningful improvement in sound quality?

EDIT: in the process of improving/testing, I also found the difference Windows' "audio enhancements" make to the sound palette. Turn it off if you like a lean and clean sound.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #993 of 1,050
Thanks for the link!
I actually dont need more bass than the stock pads - on some recordings MSR7b sound borderline too bassy for me. So my preferred sound is stock pads, with circles of thin microfiber which I cut out and put in front of the drivers to tune the treble down.

I've ordered some Yaxi St pad 2 earlier (because of good reviews and cool looks), will see how they work out.

Edit: the MSR7b page doesn't have the "Related Products" section :skull:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #994 of 1,050
I actually received the link from A-T because my balanced cable was defective. And that one is not even available in the "accessories/replaceable cables" section of the website. :frowning2:

SIDE-NOTE: for those interested, if you search the internet, the A-T balanced cable can be found for less than 1/3 the price A-T asks for it.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #995 of 1,050
Update on my earpads situation. The magical treble on stock MSR7 (non-b) pads actually is kind of addictive. I am now wondering if the actual new MSR7b pads would have the same treble or not. My worn out pair definitely doesn't (but does have more bass).

I've received Yaxi StPad 2, and so far they seem like something in between MSR7 and MSR7b pads sound-wise in regards to treble and bass. The imaging seems a little weird with these one occasionally, but that's just initial impression. The comfort is better than either of stock pads, so I'll stick with these for now at least.

Edit: after some more listening, Yaxi pads are actually the worst in terms of sound quality. The bass quantity is about the same as stock MSR7 pads, but it feels a lot sloppier. The treble is coarser too and doesn't have lightning-fast cymbal decay of the MSR7 pads. The imaging and the treble gets really weird at times: on the song Arch Enemy - Handshake with hell during the quiet part with clean singing, the background whispering voices almost overpowered the main vocals. Very unfortunate, will have to stick with stock MSR7 pads as MSR7b ones seem to be impossible to find.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #996 of 1,050
??? The MSR7b pads can easily be found, via the link I posted, down the page:

1687202473880.png

Link to buy the black ones and the brown ones

In case you're interested, I still have an unopened set of Dekoni Elite Velours pads for the MSR7b.

EDIT: updated the post with a screenshot for other users in case they have trouble finding the parts via the link.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #997 of 1,050
The link you posted didn't have the pads for me - and the whole "related products" section is missing. The new link you've just posted goes to the basket page, but when I click the product number, the page is empty.

Edit: nvm, I think I was looking in the wrong place

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #998 of 1,050
I recently purchased a pair of MSR7B’s from Amazon in their Cyber sale. I own many headphones but was looking for a good portable closed back headphone. My “go-to” headphones are the Nighthawk Carbons and Sivga Phoenix but these are both open backs. I also own a fair few closed backs including Nad Viso HP50, Beoplay H6 2nd Gen and Meze 99 Classics.

What intrigued me about the MSR7B’s were the fact they can be run balanced as all my listening is done via my Fiio M11 and/or Q5S or BTR5.

Basically, out of the box these were quite hot at high frequencies. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good amount of warmth and treble, but I just found this a little bit of a distraction. So I persevered and experimented with some different pads. The stock pads are not bad but I did find them a bit uncomfortable after more than 30 minutes. But the treble harshness was the main drag.

So I did a google search for pad swaps/mods for these headphones and found this thread and I am so pleased that I took time to read thoroughly through it because I have found some fantastic information and advice, otherwise these headphones would have been history and returned to Amazon!

To cut a long story short, despite being extremely sceptical and worrying about invalidating my returns warranty, I painstakingly followed the @tolis626 mod to remove the inner felt ring which I performed without any fuss. I also replaced the stock pads with Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin pads.

Wow, wow, wow...what seemed on the surface as a nitsh1t, minor adjustment mod has transformed this into a game changing headphone. Since applying the mod these headphones have not left my noggin! And the Sivga’s and Nighthawks find themselves in temporary semi lockdown retirement!

There is so much I love about this headphone now following the mod and pad swap - bass has a natural warmth with a tad more (and more realistic) rumble. Treble is no longer ringing or substantial, it’s a bit further back than it was but is still apparent and natural. When you hear a snare you definitely hear a snare and cymbals have s nice exacting shimmer. Mids have opened up a bit, vocals are bit more relaxed but not out of kilter with everything else. Soundstage is slightly wider mainly due to the pad swap where the angled pads open the sound up a bit more.

If I was to use words to describe these headphones then I would say “musicality”, “timbre” and “engaging”. IMHO they outperform all the other closed backs I own or have owned. For example, the Meze 99 Classics sound more bloated in sub bass and mids compared to the MSR7B’s and therefore have now been retired. Even when I use the 99 Classics with a balanced cable and different Pads they cannot compete with the MSR7B’s. These are that good that they are currently keeping my open backs (Sivga Phoenix and Nighthawk Carbons) on the bench, which is some feat for a closed back headphone that costs at least a 1/3 of their RRP!

Just one final word - with the M11 these headphones are extremely easy to drive but find that using High Gain provides that extra bit of oomph. I’ve also found that playing DSD files raises the whole audio experience, listening to Dark Side Of The Moon DSD128 vinyl rips is absolutely sublime and competes with my experience listening to vinyl through my Record player and amp!

This is what makes me find this hobby so fascinating that sometimes you can pluck a jewel like this from a reasonable shallow dig in terms of cost, £125/$168 is an absolute steal!

I would just like to thank this community and show kudos for the pearls of wisdom and comments raised on this thread, I am really glad I read them!

Best regards, a happy new MSR7B owner 🤩🎧💝
These compete with the big boys with the right source. They hold their own against Meze 109 Pros, balanced. The Meze cans look far more beautiful. The ATH-MSR7Bs sound stunning from Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. I use LQI Cables, 4.4mm balanced cables.

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #999 of 1,050
I received my MSR7b about an hour ago. I'm listening to a few tracks and I'm not sure what to make out yet.
At the moment it feels like the mid-bass is a bit too much and not much sub-bass. Treble isn't too bad. Will see if it improves a bit with more listening.
A very source dependant headphone. Keep trying.

Jul 4, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #1,000 of 1,050
A very source dependant headphone. Keep trying.
Definitely agree, I recently upgraded my USB-C cable from AudioQuest Forest to Carbon, and my MSR7b never sounded that good with my Chord Mojo 2.
I wasn't an USB cable believer until now. The Carbon gained overall clarity and technicalities in every points, as if a "veil" had disappeared to leave even more transparency. Definitely worth the upgrade.

I really think that Audio Technica has got it completely wrong with the MSR7b. In my opinion, these headphones sound more in the 800/1000€ range on average, rather than their current 200€.
The sound is unbelievably precise, natural, transparent and dynamic, with incredible timbre accuracy for its price. It's also extremely versatile for all types of music. In short, competitors still have a long way to go before they ever try to match it in this price range.

Jul 4, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,001 of 1,050
Definitely agree, I recently upgraded my USB-C cable from AudioQuest Forest to Carbon, and my MSR7b never sounded that good with my Chord Mojo 2.
I wasn't an USB cable believer until now. The Carbon gained overall clarity and technicalities in every points, as if a "veil" had disappeared to leave even more transparency. Definitely worth the upgrade.

I really think that Audio Technica has got it completely wrong with the MSR7b. In my opinion, these headphones sound more in the 800/1000€ range on average, rather than their current 200€.
The sound is unbelievably precise, natural, transparent and dynamic, with incredible timbre accuracy for its price. It's also extremely versatile for all types of music. In short, competitors still have a long way to go before they ever try to match it in this price range.
It competes with far more pricey cans if they're amped well.

Jul 9, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #1,002 of 1,050
The Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B headphones balanced are amazing from Sony NW-WM1Z!20230709_180322.jpg20230709_180232.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #1,003 of 1,050
I may be dumping some pricier headphones. I really enjoy the way the ATH-MSR7Bs sound.

Aug 21, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #1,005 of 1,050
Shure SRH1540 and Meze 109 Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back