Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 21, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #1,006 of 1,047
We all agree here, and they become even better with time. Realy sound worth much more money. Interesting which headphones you also have.
Shure SRH1540 and Meze 109 Pro

Aug 22, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #1,009 of 1,047
The Shure SRH1540 is often mentioned in one go with the msr7b in reviews, so I guess they are quite comparable.
Shure is a little more laid back, but very pleasing. I would describe Audio-Technica as a fine etching, whereas Shure is like a butter sculpture. It's more rounded, less aggressive, with nice non-fatiguing resolution. It excells at lower listening levels. It seems like it has a built in loudness button. I never get listening fatigue balanced from my Sony NW-WM1Z.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #1,010 of 1,047
Shure is a little more laid back, but very pleasing. I would describe Audio-Technica as a fine etching, whereas Shure is like a butter sculpture. It's more rounded, less aggressive, with nice non-fatiguing resolution. It excells at lower listening levels. It seems like it has a built in loudness button. I never get listening fatigue balanced from my Sony NW-WM1Z.

I heard few others on the mega closed back 400 page thread that the Shure1540s sound too neutral and almost boring.

Would you say your Shures are that way when compared to the msr7bs?

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #1,011 of 1,047
The Shure SRH1540 is often mentioned in one go with the msr7b in reviews, so I guess they are quite comparable.

It is often mentioned, I have been on the look for something better then the msr7bs, but apart from a Denons 72,9200, Fostex TH900, focal stelia/Elegia, the price difference is off the charts.

Something priced bit more reasonable but still more expensive are the AT-MX50/70, Shure1540s, Austrian Audio Hi-X60, AKG K371 and a more recent one is the Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X.

I skimmed the almost 400 page Closed back superthread here over the last week, those hps above appear to be the competition or other options to the msr7bs.

But I also read those hps I mentioned above are bit more neutral sounding and not fun, the Beyer DT700 ProX are meant to be more magical and revealing which might make them similar to msr7bs but unsure since never compared them directly.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #1,012 of 1,047
I have moved onto a combo:
* Focal Elegia with Dekoni Custom ("Stellia Limited") pads
* Dekoni Cobalt with Mayflower Electronics "inserts" (Without these inserts I cannot recommend these for general usage, though. And they perform best with a balanced cable.)

Both punch above their weight. You would have to spend far more to get better sound.
The Elegia has more energy and sound insulation. The Cobalt has better soundstage and better (sub)bass. EDIT: The Cobalts are in this setup also a tad warmer than the Elegia.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #1,013 of 1,047
I heard few others on the mega closed back 400 page thread that the Shure1540s sound too neutral and almost boring.

Would you say your Shures are that way when compared to the msr7bs?
The MSR7B’s are livelier. Sometimes I like a smoother, warm laid back signature. SRH1540 offers that in spades, however I would never call them boring. They're warm, smooth, and rich with very good soundstage. I use Sony NW-WM1Z and Lotoo Paw Gold Touch with them, always balanced. I really enjoy ATH-MSR7B as well as Meze 109 Pro right alongside.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #1,014 of 1,047
I have moved onto a combo:
* Focal Elegia with Dekoni Custom ("Stellia Limited") pads
* Dekoni Cobalt with Mayflower Electronics "inserts" (Without these inserts I cannot recommend these for general usage, though. And they perform best with a balanced cable.)

Both punch above their weight. You would have to spend far more to get better sound.
The Elegia has more energy and sound insulation. The Cobalt has better soundstage and better (sub)bass.

thanks yes many mentioned and loved their Elegias on that mega thread, it sounds like the same thing I found out a good 1-2 years ago you really do need to spend more to get that notch up.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #1,015 of 1,047
The MSR7B’s are livelier. Sometimes I like a smoother, warm laid back signature. SRH1540 offers that in spades, however I would never call them boring. They're warm, smooth, and rich with very good soundstage. I use Sony NW-WM1Z and Lotoo Paw Gold Touch with them, always balanced. I really enjoy ATH-MSR7B as well as Meze 109 Pro right alongside.

Interesting and good to hear, not sure why a few felt the SRH1540s were a bit boring.

Having said that some said that DT 700 Pro x was more fun listening but few YT reviews I just saw today calling them not exciting headphones, one even suggested they found the AKG K361/71 better, and I found those AKG un-detailed and not fun when compared to my msr7bs.

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,016 of 1,047
Interesting and good to hear, not sure why a few felt the SRH1540s were a bit boring.

Having said that some said that DT 700 Pro x was more fun listening but few YT reviews I just saw today calling them not exciting headphones, one even suggested they found the AKG K361/71 better, and I found those AKG un-detailed and not fun when compared to my msr7bs.
All ears hear differently. I did not like the Empyrean.

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #1,017 of 1,047
How do the MSR7bs compare sound wise, tonality wise, soundstage wise to the 109 Pro please?

Oct 1, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #1,018 of 1,047
How do the MSR7bs compare sound wise, tonality wise, soundstage wise to the 109 Pro please?
The 109 is warmer with more bass slam and a soundstage about 50% greater running it balanced. The treble is quite similar in presentation.

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #1,020 of 1,047
The 109 is warmer with more bass slam and a soundstage about 50% greater running it balanced. The treble is quite similar in presentation.
Thanks for this. Sounds like I need to give the Meze a listen in that case. I shall contact the dealer and arrange it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back