Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #1,036 of 1,047
My Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B headphones (balanced use) are a whisker away from my most expensive pair in sound quality. My favorite combination is ATH-MSR7B with LPGT. The bass is great and zero sibilance.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #1,037 of 1,047
Hey,
nothing to see but I've just listened yesterday to two Bluetooth headphones at the Fnac near my home, the Bose QuietComfort Ultra and the Bowers & Wilkins PX7 S2, and well I was extremely disappointed compared sonically to the MSR7b which decidedly outclasses these two by light years...
I'm definitely still disappointed with Bluetooth headsets at the moment.
To start sounding as good as the MSR7b, I really think you need to go up at least $800.
I think Audio Technica really got the MSR7b's price range wrong (much to our delight :o2smile:)
Cheers' :)
The Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B headphones are VERY close, if not equal to my Meze 109 Pro headphones in sound quality. The Meze is a bit more beautiful though.

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #1,038 of 1,047
The Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7B headphones are VERY close, if not equal to my Meze 109 Pro headphones in sound quality.

My relationship with the MSR7b is ... complicated. Sometimes I really appreciate the clean, detailed presentation. But sometimes I feel like there's a clinical, almost artificial edge to the sound. They're good but not musical if that makes sense?

Mar 1, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #1,042 of 1,047
I have moved onto a combo:
* Focal Elegia with Dekoni Custom ("Stellia Limited") pads
* Dekoni Cobalt with Mayflower Electronics "inserts" (Without these inserts I cannot recommend these for general usage, though. And they perform best with a balanced cable.)

Both punch above their weight. You would have to spend far more to get better sound.
The Elegia has more energy and sound insulation. The Cobalt has better soundstage and better (sub)bass. EDIT: The Cobalts are in this setup also a tad warmer than the Elegia.

Not thought I'd say this: I've sold the Elegia. Rarely use them. And after listening to the MSR7b again, I chose it to be my spare/traveling/outdoor companion. They're too good, lightweight and compact. Selling them would not bring me much, and I just still like them.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #1,043 of 1,047
At the moment, I'm re-experimenting a little with the Yaxi Comfort pads for MSR7 on my MSR7b, and frankly I have to say that I've missed something since I let them gather dust in the closet.
They sound great in the end, but need a bit of EQ to get the best out of them and adapt to my desired signature.
Compared with stock pads, I now even think I prefer them.

Here's the difference in EQ via my Chord Mojo 2 to get a roughly similar sound:

Chord Mojo 2 + Stock MSR7b pads settings :
  • Bass 20Hz: +2db
  • Bass 125Hz shelf : +4db
  • Treble 3kHz shelf : 0db
  • Treble 20kHz : 0db
Chord Mojo 2 + Yaxi Comfort MSR7 pads settings :
  • Bass 20Hz : +3db
  • Bass 125Hz shelf : +3db
  • Treble 3kHz shelf : -3db
  • Treble 20kHz : +3db
As you can see, the Yaxi pads require a certain amount of damping in the mids (but this is compensated by the +3db of the treble), and my sound preference for the MSR7b in stock pads includes a +2db boost in the 20Hz range and +4db for slightly more punchy mid-bass and +1db on subs to compensate the classic leaks of alcantara pads.
Here we can see that in Yaxi pads the amount is quite similar, with just +1db less needed on the 125hz to get the same punch as in stock pads.
I've decided to keep the Yaxi pads for the time being, as I find them even a notch superior in terms of soundstage and instrument separation.

This MSR7b continues to surprise me, even after almost a year and a half in their possession.
I didn't specify, but as usual, I'm using a high-end pure silver cable, and an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable in USB-C (PC > Mojo 2)

Cheers'

1709409258427.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #1,044 of 1,047
IMG_2307.jpeg

I replaced my headband with a dekoni headband.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095KSRMDY?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cso_cp_apin_dp_3RAACZ8687JKE1AYZAPS

I found that they made these with foam glued to some plastic, but the plastic corners stick out through the material ruining it and sharp too. Plus it didn’t reallly work as it had no flexibility, but it’s not really made for this headphone. I unstitched one end and pulled out the foam/plastic insert from the headband.

I then peeled off the foam carefully from the plastic, through the plastic away and shoved the foam back in. It is a pain in the butt to get it back in, but with patience it can be done. it acts like Velcro though.

Wow, it fits much better. Didn’t really like the looks of the zip ties I used at the ends. It didn’t really need it as it stayed in place, but I don’t want it moving around in case.

My ear pads are these.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081CFT73...cp_apin_dp_F778YZAX7Y11GM83H548&tag=headfi-20

This OG headphone originally had brown leather, but I think the conversion to black with the grey and red look fine. The headband it very comfortable.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #1,047 of 1,047
I ended up cutting the zip ties off and unscrewing the end covers to tuck the pleather in like the original was. I don’t like doing this for the reason that happened. One of the tabs broke off one one side of one, that snaps them together. I knew it would happen, but the screw still keeps it together pretty good though.

I’ve tried 3 replacement headbands (including the one you bought, they are terrible) and the dekoni beyerdynamic DT replacement is easily the best option hands down I have tried. It’s a little work to get it right as I mentioned above, but worth it. Plus it’s the correct length/size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back