The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Oct 1, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #5,927 of 6,385
^DCA headphones are the most comfortable, but nothing isolates like a Focal. The Radiance and especially the Celestee were the closest to noise-canceling headphones I've ever experienced in a closed-back.
this is fact...and Ive heard a ton of noise cancelling cans, and Focal cans isolate like no other.

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #5,930 of 6,385
Anything wrong with the MSR7b?

Nothing too much they were my daily drivers for many years, but always intrigued if there is something with more detail and better imaging and perhaps less treble sharpness (priced reasonable £300-500)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #5,931 of 6,385
Hi guys,

Can someone compare Meze 99 Classic vs Denon AH-D5200?

Can't decide between these two. It will be a blind buy.

Looking for a good non fatiguing closed back headphones.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #5,932 of 6,385
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Tbh for me both are quite fatiguing:
Denons with their piercing highs and Meze with their boomy bass

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #5,933 of 6,385
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Having owned both, In terms of comfort, the 99’s are great for long sessions because they are VERY comfortable! A bit more than the 5200. The 5200 is not UNcomfortable by any stretch, it’s just most Meze headphones are designed with comfort as a priority. Sound wise, they both sound good, especially with the upgraded silver plated cable. Meze makes this cable, and I have actually used it on both headphones. I found it improved the sound two- fold for me. Much better detail and bass quality was more tight and vivid. Btw, the Meze cable is very affordable ($119) The 5200 is a great headphone- great bass, (not over the top) not bright, but good detail. Mids are respectable as well. It’s leaning more into the balanced area, With the cable upgrade, I REALLY liked the sound of the 5200… very solid and I threw every genre of music at it and it shined! Again, not an uncomfortable headphone at all for me… but the Meze was just that much more comfortable. Sound- they are both really good sounding headphones with great bass response and clarity, but if I had to choose between the two, I’d go Dennon 5200. I think it makes the most sense for the long game. It’s all subjective and I’m sure you’ll have a fair amount of people agreeing and disagreeing. Just my 2 cents, hope it helped…

Oct 3, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #5,935 of 6,385
Having owned both, In terms of comfort, the 99’s are great for long sessions because they are VERY comfortable! A bit more than the 5200. The 5200 is not UNcomfortable by any stretch, it’s just most Meze headphones are designed with comfort as a priority. Sound wise, they both sound good, especially with the upgraded silver plated cable. Meze makes this cable, and I have actually used it on both headphones. I found it improved the sound two- fold for me. Much better detail and bass quality was more tight and vivid. Btw, the Meze cable is very affordable ($119) The 5200 is a great headphone- great bass, (not over the top) not bright, but good detail. Mids are respectable as well. It’s leaning more into the balanced area, With the cable upgrade, I REALLY liked the sound of the 5200… very solid and I threw every genre of music at it and it shined! Again, not an uncomfortable headphone at all for me… but the Meze was just that much more comfortable. Sound- they are both really good sounding headphones with great bass response and clarity, but if I had to choose between the two, I’d go Dennon 5200. I think it makes the most sense for the long game. It’s all subjective and I’m sure you’ll have a fair amount of people agreeing and disagreeing. Just my 2 cents, hope it helped…
Thank you very much! Are there any closed back headphones around 400€ that are better, in your opinion?

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #5,936 of 6,385
Thank you very much! Are there any closed back headphones around 400€ that are better, in your opinion?
That's SUPER subjective... meaning the variables that are involved, i.e. What type of music do you favor?, Are you a big fan of bass? Balanced sound, do you prefer a more treble forward sound? etc. Off the top, I'd say The Meze 99 classic is the MOST bang for the buck at that price. It sounds REALLY nice. There are other out there like HiFiMan Sundara Closed Back maybe or the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO. I can't really speak on these because I have no personal experience with them, however, research them on this forum and through YouTube reviews etc. You will get a good grasp on what's out there and what might best fit your needs. Also, if open backs are not 100% out of the question, check out some Sennheisers.... But dive deep on your research with them because I know that some have weak bass response and some have nice, balanced, detailed sound with very good bass as well. Like the HD 660S2 which sounds really, really good all around. It's a bit over your price range but you can find these in an "open box" scenario for very close to your price range. I was never a HUGE open back guy until I got the Meze 109 Pro and that changed the game! (Different price range tho) Again, I think Meze makes some of THE best headphones available, that said The 99 classics are amazing in sound for that price... couple that with the silver plated upgraded cable (Like $129) and JACKPOT!!

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #5,937 of 6,385
I like rock, punk, pop, I like Tom Waits, progressive rock like Porcupine tree. I also like female vocals Like Adele, Norah Jones, i like Depeche Mode...

I like everything besides classical music.

What I want is neutral sound, maybe warm-neutral but engaging. I want non fatiguing sound.

Also I want to watch movies with headphones in the evening.

I only have time for myself in the evening when my wife and kids go to sleep, so I really need closed back headphones.

I have had Sennheiser HD58X, HD600, HD6XX. Sold everything.

My amp is Schiit Asgard 3. I've sold my DAC. I need to buy a new one.

If I buy Meze Classic 99, do I need to buy those smaller pads?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #5,938 of 6,385
I like rock, punk, pop, I like Tom Waits, progressive rock like Porcupine tree. I also like female vocals Like Adele, Norah Jones, i like Depeche Mode...

I like everything besides classical music.

What I want is neutral sound, maybe warm-neutral but engaging.

I only have time for myself in the evening when my wife and kids go to sleep, so I really need closed back headphones.

I have had Sennheiser HD58X, HD600, HD6XX. Sold everything.

My amp is Schiit Asgard 3. I've sold my DAC. I need to buy a new one.

If I buy Meze Classic 99, do I need to buy those smaller pads?

You can try buying Fostex TH610 on a promo or used. For this genres it should be the best fit. E-MU Teak might also be a great choice.

Oct 3, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #5,940 of 6,385
Didn't know that Denon 5200 has piercing highs. I'vr always tought that 5200 and 7200 are smooth headphones.

Imo they are not. 7200 is a bit better but this is still a Denon/Foster V-shaped sound, which I personally love, but can't ever describe it as warm and non fatiguing :)
I think that this title should go to Sony Z7M2 or Aeon Noire (with filters)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back