Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #4,141 of 6,388
What does everyone think of these currently? I was looking to buy a pair and wasn't sure if maybe there are better - buys out there now. Chat seems quiet but hopefully that just means everyone is enjoying themselves :D

I've had the chance to listen to them briefly (30 minutes) but enjoyed them, but won't get the chance to audition any other high-end phones.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #4,142 of 6,388
What does everyone think of these currently? I was looking to buy a pair and wasn't sure if maybe there are better - buys out there now. Chat seems quiet but hopefully that just means everyone is enjoying themselves
biggrin.gif

I've had the chance to listen to them briefly (30 minutes) but enjoyed them, but won't get the chance to audition any other high-end phones.

LCD-3F's is my reference and has been for quite a while. 

Also it seems as if the number of driver failures has dropped - haven't heard many people talking about them lately. 

Cheers 

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #4,143 of 6,388
  LCD-3F's is my reference and has been for quite a while. 

Also it seems as if the number of driver failures has dropped - haven't heard many people talking about them lately. 

Cheers 

Yeah, did they fix that issue? I guess the silence on any new reports of driver failures should mean that they have sorted out the problem, or could it be that the new ones just have not been used long enough for the problems to occur yet?

Interested in hearing if anyone with newer phones have had issues. Audeze and their HPs speak to me, but reading about so many failures put me off - especially since I live in Norway and would have to send them all the way back to the US for repairs. I mean, for headphones costing near 2000$ you should expect years of trouble free performance, so I really hope they found and fixed the root cause of this problem...

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #4,144 of 6,388

Yeah, did they fix that issue? I guess the silence on any new reports of driver failures should mean that they have sorted out the problem, or could it be that the new ones just have not been used long enough for the problems to occur yet?

Interested in hearing if anyone with newer phones have had issues. Audeze and their HPs speak to me, but reading about so many failures put me off - especially since I live in Norway and would have to send them all the way back to the US for repairs. I mean, for headphones costing near 2000$ you should expect years of trouble free performance, so I really hope they found and fixed the root cause of this problem...

If you buy them from a local dealer they will take care of the shipment stuff, but yeah you will not have them for some weeks.

One driver on my LCD 3 from 2014 have stopped working
frown.gif
 and I have recently sent them in for repair. My first driver failure ever after nearly 30 years in this hobby.   

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #4,145 of 6,388

Just got my New lcd3. And the clearcoat have a small fracture. Where the metal touches the Wood. Its on both sides. Is this normal? Will this get worse over time?

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #4,147 of 6,388
^

I agree. Not normal. Mine are two years old and don't have that.

Dec 27, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #4,149 of 6,388
Does everyone agree that a silver headphone cable used with the LCD-3f is better than a good quality copper cable or is this a matter of dispute?

Obviously silver will provide a bit more transparency but I get the feeling that these silver cables tip the treble up- and I am not sure I like that.

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #4,151 of 6,388
Requesting any lcd3 owner with a model newer than October to post their frequency graphs. Trying to see if Audeze has revised the 2 and 3 while fixing the driver failures

Where do I go to request the graph? 

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #4,153 of 6,388
As requested, how does it look?

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #4,154 of 6,388
Does everyone agree that a silver headphone cable used with the LCD-3f is better than a good quality copper cable or is this a matter of dispute?

Obviously silver will provide a bit more transparency but I get the feeling that these silver cables tip the treble up- and I am not sure I like that.

It is certainly a matter of dispute. I've got the stock cable, the Silver Dragon cable from Moon Audio, a "cheap" silver plated cable from eBay, and a custom copper cable. They sound identical. The stock cable is much too long for me and I hate the flat cable look and feel, so I greatly prefer all the other cables to the stock, but not for sonic reasons.

I used to think the cable really mattered, but I did a *blind* ABX test I realized I couldn't tell the difference at all. The measurements and the "sound science" seem to support this as well. If you are looking for a aesthetic and ergonomic upgrade, I really like this cable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audeze-LCD-2-LCD-3-Headphone-Cable-Upgrade-Cable-Silver-plated-cord/121175914229

It's silver plated, so it checks that particular audiophile box, and is pretty lightweight.

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #4,155 of 6,388
What glue is used for the earpads? Just thrown my lcd-3 up for sale and the right one came off :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back