Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #6,376 of 6,385
Thanks - this is basically what I read too.
I think I will give it a try with the ROON Trial.

Do you know if the EQ filter for the LCD-3 in ROON is the same as the Audeze Reveal?
I believe the Audeze presets in Roon are the same. I tried it for the LCD-3 and didn’t like it.

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #6,377 of 6,385
HELP :-D I recently got a used pair of LCD-3 (2021 version - metal mesh, black terminals, and whatnot)

I LOVE THEM but there is a tad much energy in the upper mid/high fq. Vocals can get fatiguing on some tracks. The chain is Astell & Kern DAP, Gustard Dac, A&S Mogwai SE. I stream Tidal directly from the DAP via the Gustard.

So, my two Questions:
1. What would be the best way to EQ the LCD-3 given this setup (I have researched a bit and can see that Roon would be a possibility - but I think the cost is high if the only feature I really need is the EQ tool?)

2. I see other users mention the possibility of getting the specific FR-data directly from Audeze (where does one request this?)

Also, I have a Burson soloist SL MKII coming in to give SS a try on the LCD-3s.

Appreciate any advice you might have,
Cheers
Which AK DAP do you have?

For me the AK Kann with LCD3 (2018) was a lovely combo. Then came Kann Cube, which made LCD3 too sharp. I needed 2-3 months to get used to it.

Both have built in eq - at least you can play with them, unless you use the AK as streamer.

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #6,378 of 6,385
Which AK DAP do you have?

For me the AK Kann with LCD3 (2018) was a lovely combo. Then came Kann Cube, which made LCD3 too sharp. I needed 2-3 months to get used to it.

Both have built in eq - at least you can play with them, unless you use the AK as streamer.
It is an old one - the SR25. I merely use it as a streamer. So the EQ function is bypassed.

However, I started a trial with Roon to access the EQ functionality and have been testing this.

Requires that I use my laptop - which is ok. Browsing on A&K has always been a pain…

The EQ is definitely doing wonders. The fatiguing highs are gone. Super excited to test this feature.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #6,379 of 6,385
What would be the best way to EQ the LCD-3 given this setup (I have researched a bit and can see that Roon would be a possibility - but I think the cost is high if the only feature I really need is the EQ tool?)
I'm not sure about the EQ for that, but I use Foobar2000 through APO Equalizer with the Audeze VST plugin (on Windows). It's so good that I will not even bother listening to my LCD-3s unless I can add that EQ to complete their sound. If you haven't tried the Audeze VST before, it's well worth the setup time. I currently use an older version of it as I didn't think the ear photo mapping thing worked well enough to be worth the investment (at least, I was too lazy to keep trying to get perfect photos of my ears). My recommendation would be to get a windows or mac source of only to try the Audeze VST. Good luck!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #6,380 of 6,385
I'm not sure about the EQ for that, but I use Foobar2000 through APO Equalizer with the Audeze VST plugin (on Windows). It's so good that I will not even bother listening to my LCD-3s unless I can add that EQ to compete their sound. If you haven't tried the Audeze VST before, it's well worth the setup time. I currently use an older version of it as I didn't think the ear photo mapping thing worked well enough to be worth the investment (at least, I was too lazy to keep trying to get perfect photos of my ears). My recommendation would be to get a windows or mac source of only to try the Audeze VST. Good luck!
Thanks!

Definitely got something good going on at the moment. My favorite EQ right now is Oratory - via Roon.
I sometimes try to listen without any filter but it is difficult to go back.

Also; I got a Burson Soloist SL MkII which also helps - as an alternative to tubes.

The big question now is: what would be a super cool ss amp for the LCD-3 :)

Nov 6, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #6,381 of 6,385
The big question now is: what would be a super cool ss amp for the LCD-3
Check out the Mjolnir 3 thread. The folks who've heard it seem to be pretty convinced...
As most folks already mentioned, the MJ3 is so good with clarity, blackground, details, layering, imaging, spacing out the different instruments and vocals, depth of the stage, dynamics, the decay of notes, and the transparent ability to look deep into the performance (cleaner window analogy) while still sounding natural and organic.
Resolution, resolution, resolution without ice picks in the ear.

Hearing individual members of the audience when they clap, the skin of drums, everything is there. If you want it to be, or, just soak in the gestalt of the music... (listening to Return of the Jazz Communicators really highlights the beauty of this amp).
That verified my feeling that the MJ3 is more resolving than my other solid-state amps. I had warm-ish tubes in the Studio Six as well, and had to rotate them back to Sylvania and Phillips to get the resolution back to match the MJ3, and that's a $4000 amp with about $1k of extra tubes!
Read the thread, it's pretty amazing what they're saying about it!!!

Nov 30, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #6,382 of 6,385
Does anyone know if LCD-3 from 2022 has the same tuning as in 2023? I have the opportunity to get a set from 2022 but wondering if I should hold off and purchase a 2023 set instead. DMS mentioned that there was a revision update, but I'm not exactly sure when it was.

Anyone know?

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #6,384 of 6,385
LCD-3 has not changed since 2016. The only change was the universal pad swap in late 2020 for all our LCDs.
DMS did an entire video about newer revisions, so not sure why then if not true 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back