Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #6,361 of 6,385
Yeah they don't hold their value well used. Upgraded mine to carbon fiber, still under warranty and haven't been able to sell them for 1200 USD. I'd guess it's because they've been around so long that there are a lot out there and especially those older ones drive down the perceived value.

Thanks for the replies. It is sad. When I bought my new there was none in the classifieds (just really old ones).

Yeah I bought mine from a guy on reddit with an upgraded leather strap and the carbon fiber headband for 1100 and I think they were up for a month before I grabbed them.
Yeah, I bought mine for $900 CAD a few years ago then purchased the carbon fibre headband, carry case, and replacement earpads, still less than $1200 all in. I think I have seen a few LCD3s sit on Craigslist locally around $1200 for months too.

Its a shame because at those prices an LCD3 is an awesome headphone yet it is so under appreciated.

Sep 25, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #6,362 of 6,385
Yeah, I bought mine for $900 CAD a few years ago then purchased the carbon fibre headband, carry case, and replacement earpads, still less than $1200 all in. I think I have seen a few LCD3s sit on Craigslist locally around $1200 for months too.

Its a shame because at those prices an LCD3 is an awesome headphone yet it is so under appreciated.
Yep. That’s my opinion too. The guy I bought from Reddit said basically the same in that they’re under appreciated because they’re between the lcd 2 and the lcd 4, with some liking the lcd 3 the most as it’s the most musical.

After having my pair for a month they’re my favorite cans I own. Only thing I didn’t like is that I needed to put dekoni sheepskin pads on because the lcd 3 2021+ pads made the fazors touch my ears

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #6,363 of 6,385
Yeah at this point I've decided if someone won't buy them for $1200 I could use them a few more years and then sell them for $2-300 less at that point. I certainly like them more than the 2, 4, and 5 myself.

Oct 4, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #6,364 of 6,385
LCD-3 Pre fazor is the best headphone Audeze ever made- period. It has bass weight and impact, midrange weight and presence and superb resolution. It delivers music with heft and power like nothing else I have ever heard......... Dark deep tonal saturation, with excellent air and resolution- when powered correctly...

Regarding the dip in the treble, just replace the old pads with the new 2022 pads- and the dip is undipped....
Hi all, thanks for the discussions in this thread.

I also have a pair of pre-fazor LCD-3s, and they are wonderful. Never heard the fazored version, but I agree with rsbrsvp the pre-fazor are glorious! I run them in balanced XLR from a Jotunheim OG and its onboard Mutlibit DAC.

But... from everything I've read, the LCD-3s would scale most beautifully with better DACs and amplifiers. I'm wondering if there are any other Schiitheads out there who've tried these with the MJ2/MJ3/Raganarok, or Gumby/Yggrasil/Bifrost 2/64?

Yes, okay, that question was just for the Schiitheads lurking out there. I know there are lots of other great companies too, so maybe I should explain why I have my two feet so firmly planted in the Schiit.

I had an SMSL M500 mkii, and liked it as a DAC ... for the 1.5 years it lasted. It was glitchy that whole time, dropping USB connections, powering off unexpectedly, burning out its backlight. Lol, I had to use a flashlight to see the display. But hey, it occasionally sounded great and it was cheap, and it gave me an optical input when I needed it for my headphones (e.g watching movies). When it finally died, it was impossible to find any kind of SMSL contact for support or repair. SMSL makes a disposable product, and offers zero support...

...Meanwhile, my Jotunheim has been going strong -- 5 years plus -- and has never had a single issue. Always works, never drops out. Sounds great with my AH-D7000 and AH-D5000 in SE, and the LCD-3 in XLR. Annnnnd... if I ever have an issue, Schiit's got my back. They respond to email in like a day, and they actually have a physical address where you can ship your Schiit to get it fixed or upgraded.

Apologies for the long, pro-Schiit aside. I'm totally willing to hear about the other DACs and amplifiers you wonderful LCD-3 owners love so long as the company that makes them has great customer support/repair/upgrade options.

You know, so long as they are good Schiit.

:beerchug:

Oct 4, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #6,365 of 6,385
Hi all, thanks for the discussions in this thread.

I also have a pair of pre-fazor LCD-3s, and they are wonderful. Never heard the fazored version, but I agree with rsbrsvp the pre-fazor are glorious! I run them in balanced XLR from a Jotunheim OG and its onboard Mutlibit DAC.

But... from everything I've read, the LCD-3s would scale most beautifully with better DACs and amplifiers. I'm wondering if there are any other Schiitheads out there who've tried these with the MJ2/MJ3/Raganarok, or Gumby/Yggrasil/Bifrost 2/64?

Yes, okay, that question was just for the Schiitheads lurking out there. I know there are lots of other great companies too, so maybe I should explain why I have my two feet so firmly planted in the Schiit.

I had an SMSL M500 mkii, and liked it as a DAC ... for the 1.5 years it lasted. It was glitchy that whole time, dropping USB connections, powering off unexpectedly, burning out its backlight. Lol, I had to use a flashlight to see the display. But hey, it occasionally sounded great and it was cheap, and it gave me an optical input when I needed it for my headphones (e.g watching movies). When it finally died, it was impossible to find any kind of SMSL contact for support or repair. SMSL makes a disposable product, and offers zero support...

...Meanwhile, my Jotunheim has been going strong -- 5 years plus -- and has never had a single issue. Always works, never drops out. Sounds great with my AH-D7000 and AH-D5000 in SE, and the LCD-3 in XLR. Annnnnd... if I ever have an issue, Schiit's got my back. They respond to email in like a day, and they actually have a physical address where you can ship your Schiit to get it fixed or upgraded.

Apologies for the long, pro-Schiit aside. I'm totally willing to hear about the other DACs and amplifiers you wonderful LCD-3 owners love so long as the company that makes them has great customer support/repair/upgrade options.

You know, so long as they are good Schiit.

:beerchug:
Oh schiit, those were a lot of schiit-y puns, good schiit!

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #6,367 of 6,385
HELP :-D I recently got a used pair of LCD-3 (2021 version - metal mesh, black terminals, and whatnot)

I LOVE THEM but there is a tad much energy in the upper mid/high fq. Vocals can get fatiguing on some tracks. The chain is Astell & Kern DAP, Gustard Dac, A&S Mogwai SE. I stream Tidal directly from the DAP via the Gustard.

So, my two Questions:
1. What would be the best way to EQ the LCD-3 given this setup (I have researched a bit and can see that Roon would be a possibility - but I think the cost is high if the only feature I really need is the EQ tool?)

2. I see other users mention the possibility of getting the specific FR-data directly from Audeze (where does one request this?)

Also, I have a Burson soloist SL MKII coming in to give SS a try on the LCD-3s.

Appreciate any advice you might have,
Cheers

Oct 31, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #6,368 of 6,385
Bright and Audeze are not things normally said in the same sentence. I would say check your cans out of a desktop amp and see if you can understand the problem.

On the other hand, while they're warm, they do have tremendous detail retrieval. Might just need some time to get used to them. I had a similar problem that for the first few months I had them I found them fatiguing as well. But I figured out it was just that my brain was tiring of so much detail revealed by the headphones.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #6,369 of 6,385
Bright and Audeze are not things normally said in the same sentence. I would say check your cans out of a desktop amp and see if you can understand the problem.

On the other hand, while they're warm, they do have tremendous detail retrieval. Might just need some time to get used to them. I had a similar problem that for the first few months I had them I found them fatiguing as well. But I figured out it was just that my brain was tiring of so much detail revealed by the headphones.
I do think you have a point. The first hours were definitely less enjoyable than what I am experiencing now. I had the XC and the 2Classic before - but the 3s are different. There are sooooo many things that they do right for me. Hopefully, my brain will adapt 100% soon :wink:

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #6,370 of 6,385
HELP :-D I recently got a used pair of LCD-3 (2021 version - metal mesh, black terminals, and whatnot)

I LOVE THEM but there is a tad much energy in the upper mid/high fq. Vocals can get fatiguing on some tracks. The chain is Astell & Kern DAP, Gustard Dac, A&S Mogwai SE. I stream Tidal directly from the DAP via the Gustard.

So, my two Questions:
1. What would be the best way to EQ the LCD-3 given this setup (I have researched a bit and can see that Roon would be a possibility - but I think the cost is high if the only feature I really need is the EQ tool?)

2. I see other users mention the possibility of getting the specific FR-data directly from Audeze (where does one request this?)

Also, I have a Burson soloist SL MKII coming in to give SS a try on the LCD-3s.

Appreciate any advice you might have,
Cheers
I’m using the Oratory EQ via Roon with these and it totally transformed the headphones (for the better). On the other hand, the Oratory EQ for the HE1000se ruins the sound.

Conclusion: LCD-3 is meant to be EQ’d as with most Audeze headphones.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #6,371 of 6,385
I don't EQ any of my headphones, so I couldn't agree less :D

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #6,372 of 6,385
I do think you have a point. The first hours were definitely less enjoyable than what I am experiencing now. I had the XC and the 2Classic before - but the 3s are different. There are sooooo many things that they do right for me. Hopefully, my brain will adapt 100% soon :wink:
Yeah the LCD-2C is a slammer and even warmer. The 3F I have does everything better, incredible pair of headphones. I think you will enjoy them very much soon :)

Never had the pleasure of listening to the XC though.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #6,373 of 6,385
Yeah the LCD-2C is a slammer and even warmer. The 3F I have does everything better, incredible pair of headphones. I think you will enjoy them very much soon :)

Never had the pleasure of listening to the XC though.
The XCs were also stunning. I sold them because I got the Verite Open - and they really blew my mind. END GAME I thought. No reason to have another HP in the house - I thought. Well, you live and you learn.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #6,374 of 6,385
Oct 31, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #6,375 of 6,385
I’m using the Oratory EQ via Roon with these and it totally transformed the headphones (for the better). On the other hand, the Oratory EQ for the HE1000se ruins the sound.

Conclusion: LCD-3 is meant to be EQ’d as with most Audeze headphones.
Thanks - this is basically what I read too.
I think I will give it a try with the ROON Trial.

Do you know if the EQ filter for the LCD-3 in ROON is the same as the Audeze Reveal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back