Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 19, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #3,166 of 9,207

Quote:
Also the Schiit Lyr has been getting a lot of praise, but it doesn't have a DAC, so I wouldn't be able to connect it to my computer? Get the Lyr and save up for a DAC?

Depends on your computer rig.  Chances are that you do have some way of sending analog signal to the Lyr, whether it's onboard audio or a dedicated audio card.  How "quality" or "audiophile" it may or may not be, I don't know.  Even if you get an all-in-one solution, depending on the equipment it could be used later on as part of a more modular system.  The DACmini (which is not in your price range, but I use as an example and recommend if you can stretch the budget) is a good DAC in it's own right, so I use it on my computer rig until the day I decide to get a new amp for this setup.  I probably will actually stick to using it as an all-in-one, but it gives options.

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #3,167 of 9,207
Souji,

I recommend getting a used DIY amp and a used DIY dac.

For dac in your budget, I suggest AMB's Gamma1 in full configuration (usually $100-150 at the FS forum). Later on, you can find a builder to add modules to Gamma1 and make it into full Gamma2 (~$300 used) without throwing away a dime. Gamma1 by itself is very good (and it has USB,coaxial and optical inputs); while Gamma2 competes well with DACs going for close to $1000. Or maybe get a used Audio-gd Sparrrow / NFB-12 as dac.

For a used DIY amp in your budget, I recommend EHHA or M3. There is an EHHA at AMP FS forum now going for $450, which is a great deal IMHO. I was about to buy that amp at $550 (its price went down $100 later on) but my plan changed.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/558288/ehha-rev-a

Disclaimer: I do not personally know the seller of that EHHA, but I had PM back and forth with him. He is an experienced and reputable builder and is very kind even with non-buying inquiries.

I used to have a M3 with Sigma11 ($450, or $250 w/o Sigma11) and like it with LCD-2s too. But I think EHHA is at the level with Beta22, which is better than M3 technically and sonically. I am currently using Gamma2 and Beta22 with LCD-2s. And I loooove the combo. The Beta22 though, is at $700 above because it has more parts and more complexity than EHHA or M3.

Quote:

I have a limited budget, probably around $400-$600 at the most for a DAC and amp.

Jul 19, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3,168 of 9,207
You know, I just put in a set of 6BZ7s today and I love them!  So far I think this the best I've heard out of the Lyr in my system.

Great to hear. :smile: Did you find an additional gain with the 6BZ7s in your Lyr?

Mine should be here this Friday.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #3,169 of 9,207
I have a Vincent KHV 111 that puts out 5 watts and for the LCD2 this is in my thought a very good match. I know this is not a real popular amp for most for one reason or another. I have been doing this for quite some time and will say this combination is the best  have heard.
I also have a Marantz 2265B  Reciever which is alright with the LCD2 but does not begin to compare to the Vincent. I have kept the Vincent because I have changed some of the wiring and so decided to keep it as it is not stock. I have used it with HD600 and grados. But when the LCD2 came along this amp was made for these. Highs are wonderful bass is really strong and well defined and as always the midrange is the best I have heard. So just letting some know there are others choices and some not where you would expect.Through this amp you will not one thought about these being dark and it has way more then enough power to make this thnigs come to life well worth a listen. I might add that while I thought the Vincent was just OK with other headphones with the LCD2 it really shines.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #3,170 of 9,207

Quote:
Great to hear.
smile.gif
Did you find an additional gain with the 6BZ7s in your Lyr?
Mine should be here this Friday.

Actually, I wasn't paying any attention to the gain, so I'm not sure if it changed or not.  I was focused on SQ and noise level, both of which improved from what had previously been in the amp which was a pair of Telefunken E88CC's

Jul 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #3,171 of 9,207
Actually, I wasn't paying any attention to the gain, so I'm not sure if it changed or not.  I was focused on SQ and noise level, both of which improved from what had previously been in the amp which was a pair of Telefunken E88CC's

Thanks Kevin. I remember reading back that Jason mentioned it had a gain factor of 12 while the standard 6922/E88CC had a gain factor of 10. Glad to hear the SQ and noise level improved. The extra bit of gain should help with my HE-6s. ETA for them is Friday.

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #3,172 of 9,207
Hi,
Do you guys think the Woo WA2 is more than sufficient to drive the LCD-2 and have some spare headroom? Good synergy?
I'm aware that the WA6SE is way more powerful, but I'm afraid that it's more into Solid-State-sounding than tubey which I prefer.

Has anyone tried pairing with the Hifiman EF-5?

Thanks for your help! 

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #3,173 of 9,207

Quote:
Hi,
Do you guys think the Woo WA2 is more than sufficient to drive the LCD-2 and have some spare headroom? Good synergy?
I'm aware that the WA6SE is way more powerful, but I'm afraid that it's more into Solid-State-sounding than tubey which I prefer.

Thanks for your help! 

I'm still trying to make up my mind which headphone in which headamp-combination is my way to go. Have had a Beyer for many years and like'em. So at the beginning there was no doubt about the T-1. But after researching there things like the HifiMan-HE 500 and the Audeze LCD-2 Rev2 going through my mind. If its the Beyerdynamic then I would take the HifiMan EF-5 to combine. I live in germany so price- and support-wise its very attractive to go with the Beyer.So the interesting question from "shinn" is how the EF-5 matches with the LCD-2 Rev2. If theres no general mismatch I would have an amp to compare both headphones. I now its not the topic of this thread, but if you take the ef-5 as given, which one of the three headphones (HE500, Beyer T1, LCD-2) would be the way to go?

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #3,175 of 9,207
Just took my LYR out of the Fedex box, and have all of 10 minutes play time...6BZ7 tubes.
So far it sounds great...

Listening to Jennifer Warnes 'The Hunter"...awesome..

Volume at 9am is fine. 10 am starts things to really open up.

Will explore all my favorites andr report back in a few hours....want to comparer AB with my other head amp as
well

Alex

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #3,176 of 9,207

Quote:
Such a broad question.  They all have their pros and cons but are heavily dependent on what type of music you enjoy.  I switch between the LCD2 and the T1 on an hourly basis.

Yeah i know. I'm looking for a single combination thats a good allrounder and can handle every genre, because I like a wide range of music:

jazz, pop, rock, blues, classic, hip hop, electro, world music and so on. Maybe I should mention that the combination should harmonize with the smyth realizer and of course home cinema usage.

I should start a seperate thread for that, but for now I would like to hear how the LCD-2 works with a HifiMan-EF5.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #3,177 of 9,207
Ok so I have had almost 2 hours of listening to all sorts of stuff.

First impression is I am selling my other amp.

Second impression is the tube choice to me is perfect.

I did a lot of reading as most of us do trying to get the choices down right the first
time. Jason likes these as well as his number one choice in tubes.

The volume control setting with these LCD2's from 8 am to 10 am is more than enough, this amp has endless power for these phones. Be careful...

The LCD2's "come alive" with this amp. Absolutley wonderful soundstage, imaging, dynamic range.

Chris Rea's Road to Hell, is great.
Norah Jones is very very nice.
LeAnn Rimes vocals are phenomenal!!
Joe Satriani's Rubina is freaking awesome..

The detail, punchiness is really nice, well defined, Jennifer Warnes The Hunter cd is excellent.

Linda Ronstandt, Round Midnight double CD with Nelson Riddle...wonderful voice...

6 Watts of power...Class A, it runs hot, not as hot as the ASGARD I had but does a better job with these cans...dont miss it at all.

I got into such a sweet listening mode that I didnt want to take the phones off...Hearing "tonality" of things that are just more alive and noticeable now...sounds of drumsticks hittinf the drum rim, sound of "wood"..no sibilance...hand claps  so life-like etc..

I really see NO reason for ME to roll tubes...its perfect...completly content!! and for me that is saying alot!

The tube choice is perfect, absolutely perfect..that good...

Life is good!!

All the best
 Alex

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #3,179 of 9,207

Quote:
Ok so I have had almost 2 hours of listening to all sorts of stuff.

First impression is I am selling my other amp.

Second impression is the tube choice to me is perfect.

I did a lot of reading as most of us do trying to get the choices down right the first
time. Jason likes these as well as his number one choice in tubes.

The volume control setting with these LCD2's from 8 am to 10 am is more than enough, this amp has endless power for these phones. Be careful...

The LCD2's "come alive" with this amp. Absolutley wonderful soundstage, imaging, dynamic range.

Chris Rea's Road to Hell, is great.
Norah Jones is very very nice.
LeAnn Rimes vocals are phenomenal!!
Joe Satriani's Rubina is freaking awesome..

The detail, punchiness is really nice, well defined, Jennifer Warnes The Hunter cd is excellent.

Linda Ronstandt, Round Midnight double CD with Nelson Riddle...wonderful voice...

6 Watts of power...Class A, it runs hot, not as hot as the ASGARD I had but does a better job with these cans...dont miss it at all.

I got into such a sweet listening mode that I didnt want to take the phones off...Hearing "tonality" of things that are just more alive and noticeable now...sounds of drumsticks hittinf the drum rim, sound of "wood"..no sibilance...hand claps  so life-like etc..

I really see NO reason for ME to roll tubes...its perfect...completly content!! and for me that is saying alot!

The tube choice is perfect, absolutely perfect..that good...

Life is good!!

All the best
 Alex

Congratulations Alex!  Happy listening!

Jul 22, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #3,180 of 9,207

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your help! 

I'm thinking about a tube amp to compliment my solid state amp.  Over in the Woo owners thread I'm hearing the WA2 goes well with the LCD-2 so I'm giving it some thought.   My V200 will be my main amp but I also want a tube amp that has that classic sound to it.  I'm told the WA2 could be that amp in it's price range.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back