Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 22, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #3,181 of 9,207
I know source output has a bearing but with a 2V from my dac's line out, 10 o'clock out of the Lyr is crazy loud with the LCD-2 and HD650.
blink.gif
I'd like to know what levels others are listening at (A or C weighting if a metre is employed and also what type of sound file is used to get a reading).

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #3,182 of 9,207
I know source output has a bearing but with a 2V from my dac's line out, 10 o'clock out of the Lyr is crazy loud.
blink.gif
I'd like to know what levels others are listening at (A or C weighting if a metre is employed and also what type of sound file is used to get a reading).

With my LCD-2s, I keep it at about 9:30ish. My HE-6s are a different story :p. Usually 1-2 ish, but with the 6BZ7 tubes, 12 (as I mentioned).

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #3,183 of 9,207

Quote:
Yeah i know. I'm looking for a single combination thats a good allrounder and can handle every genre, because I like a wide range of music:

jazz, pop, rock, blues, classic, hip hop, electro, world music and so on. Maybe I should mention that the combination should harmonize with the smyth realizer and of course home cinema usage.

I should start a seperate thread for that, but for now I would like to hear how the LCD-2 works with a HifiMan-EF5.

I liked the LCD-2 better with the EF5 than with the Lyr but not as good as with the WA22. I have tried the HE-5 and HE-6 with the EF5 and think that the HE-500 would be an ideal match for it, as the EF5 is tuned well for the HiFiMAN cans and the power level is ideal for the HE-500. The EF5 > HE-500 would be a hard combo to beat from a price-performance standpoint.

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #3,184 of 9,207

I liked the LCD-2 better with the EF5 than with the Lyr but not as good as with the WA22. I have tried the HE-5 and HE-6 with the EF5 and think that the HE-500 would be an ideal match for it, as the EF5 is tuned well for the HiFiMAN cans and the power level is ideal for the HE-500. The EF5 > HE-500 would be a hard combo to beat from a price-performance standpoint.

With the stock tubes, I can understand....but with the Genalex Gold Lions or even the NOS GE 6BZ7s, I'd take the Lyr any day of the week (including with my HE-6s). But like you, I prefer my WA22 with my LCD-2s over the Lyr (with the right tube combinations....NOS Tung-Sol 7236s, NOS Sylvania 6SN7s and an NOS Raytheon 5U4G).

But alas, as much as I appreciate my WA22, it is not an ideal HE-6 amping solution...the Lyr is much better suited. I actually am very impressed with my new GE 6BZ7s...about 20% more gain and 4 Watts sounds just great with them (HE-6s).

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #3,185 of 9,207
Quote:
With the stock tubes, I can understand....but with the Genalex Gold Lions or even the NOS GE 6BZ7s, I'd take the Lyr any day of the week (including with my HE-6s). But like you, I prefer my WA22 with my LCD-2s over the Lyr (with the right tube combinations....NOS Tung-Sol 7236s, NOS Sylvania 6SN7s and an NOS Raytheon 5U4G).

Peter, interested in your preference of WA22 over the Lyr, price aside.  Thanks

Jul 23, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #3,186 of 9,207
Quote:

Peter, interested in your preference of WA22 over the Lyr, price aside.  Thanks

With the right tube combination, it is fabulous IMO. I did have my re-cabled Silver Dragon V3 coming back next week. I had Drew at Moon Audio rewire it to have a balanced connector (from single ended). I also purchased a balanced to single-ended adapter so that I can still use them with my Lyr easily).

I'll report back next week how they sound fully balanced.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #3,187 of 9,207
Hey guys, 

In my quest for a headphone-based listening setup that reveals recordings as the artist intended, the most accurate I've heard is the Lavry DA10, with audio files being fed to it via optical cable, and the LCD-2. I've been considering another amp and know that I don't need one, but would there be any obvious improvement from the amp of Lavry - which I've read is of the 'wire-with-gain' type - that would make recordings sound more natural?

Many thanks.
WM

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #3,188 of 9,207

Quote:

But alas, as much as I appreciate my WA22, it is not an ideal HE-6 amping solution...the Lyr is much better suited. I actually am very impressed with my new GE 6BZ7s...about 20% more gain and 4 Watts sounds just great with them (HE-6s).

Totally agreed, but I was using Amprex gold pin 6922s, I never even tried the stock tubes with the Lyr. The Head-fier that bought the Amprex's from me said they sounded great though.

And yes the HE-6 was a fail with the WA22, the EF5 was just as good with that headphone. I really prefer my speaker amp with the HE-6, as I have posted before the only headphone that really worked for me out of the Lyr was the K701, that was the best I have ever heard them.

Quote:
With the right tube combination, it is fabulous IMO. I do have my re-cabled Silver Dragon V3 coming back next week. I had Drew at Moon Audio rewire it to have a balanced connector (from single ended). I also purchased a balanced to single-ended adapter so that I can still use them with my Lyr easily).

Definitely, I rolled my EML 5U4G in just for kicks last night in place of the Princess and the Princess is definitely going back in to the WA22 and the EML will be up for sale (recent warranty replacement with less than 10 hours on it if anyone is interested). I would still love to try the EML 274B with my current tubes though.

Jul 23, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3,189 of 9,207
Well we now have 10+ hours on the Lyr with the LCD2's.

Just keeps getting better and better still with the GE 6BZ7's.

After listening to many of my favorites and many demo cds, from RMAF, NY Audio Raves and Demo discs from several OEM manufacturers....I stopped proving to myself
how great a combination of the Lyr and LCD2's are. The deep bass rifts, huge organ stuff, hot guitar stuff, female voice etc...

For the last few hours I just played some 'normal' music.not the most dynamic and earth shadowing stuff...but things like Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nix etc...

I was very much lost in the music, enjoying how good mediocre stuff can sound and be enjoyed...going back to early recording and being able to hear inside the music...etc

I really think the additional power reserves of the Lyr make it a wonderful marraige made in heaven....always a surprise when playing stuff...just wonderful.

Think my search for my holy grail has ended for now...maybe play around with a few dacs and see where that goes...

Lyr recommendation for LCD2's ....absolutley a great if not best buy.

All the best
Alex
dt880smile.png

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #3,190 of 9,207
Quote:
With the right tube combination, it is fabulous IMO. I do have my re-cabled Silver Dragon V3 coming back next week. I had Drew at Moon Audio rewire it to have a balanced connector (from single ended). I also purchased a balanced to single-ended adapter so that I can still use them with my Lyr easily).

Thanks, I'll be waiting
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #3,191 of 9,207
A while back I almost pulled the trigger on the Lyr. In fact one time I did but the website froze or something and I took it as a sign to back off.  But more than that I was and am concerned by the reviews of Lyr users. All I ever read is how much power the Lyr has and thats about it.  I haven't really seen any comments concerning any of the other aspects of this amp, most of which I find more important than just power.    I haven't seen much talk about soundstage, inner detail, resolution, imaging, soundfield depth or width, layering, harmonic detail. Just power, lots of power.  What else does this amp offer?

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #3,192 of 9,207
It is pretty hard to get "lost in the music" unless soundstage, imaging and texture etc are all in abundance. Jason Stoddard has always said what his priorities are as far as these goals and sorry but I don't recall them now but power is not the only goal for the Lyr.

Orthos benefit from having more than 2 watts continuous power to help open up soundstage. Until you have listened to a higher power set up you don't know what you are missing.

Schiit are bringing out a statement amp later this year that will be a significant step up from the Lyr in power supply, fully balanced and has some other awesome features. The RSA darkstar should even look mediocre in comparison, and I really like RSA.

For the price of a Lyr, if you have a pair of orthos... Why not buy one?

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #3,193 of 9,207

Quote:
It is pretty hard to get "lost in the music" unless soundstage, imaging and texture etc are all in abundance. Jason Stoddard has always said what his priorities are as far as these goals and sorry but I don't recall them now but power is not the only goal for the Lyr.

Orthos benefit from having more than 2 watts continuous power to help open up soundstage. Until you have listened to a higher power set up you don't know what you are missing.

Schiit are bringing out a statement amp later this year that will be a significant step up from the Lyr in power supply, fully balanced and has some other awesome features. The RSA darkstar should even look mediocre in comparison, and I really like RSA.

For the price of a Lyr, if you have a pair of orthos... Why not buy one?

Well I'm trying to find a review that describes more than just the Lyr being a powerful amp.  I'm looking for a review that goes beyond that.  Something more descriptive and not vague about the other parameters of the Lyr besides power.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #3,194 of 9,207
A while back I almost pulled the trigger on the Lyr. In fact one time I did but the website froze or something and I took it as a sign to back off.  But more than that I was and am concerned by the reviews of Lyr users. All I ever read is how much power the Lyr has and thats about it.  I haven't really seen any comments concerning any of the other aspects of this amp, most of which I find more important than just power.    I haven't seen much talk about soundstage, inner detail, resolution, imaging, soundfield depth or width, layering, harmonic detail. Just power, lots of power.  What else does this amp offer?

The Lyr has it all...great sound, tone, imaging, power :p, and all at a fantastic price. With the right tubes, it can compete with amps 2-3X it's price.

Jul 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #3,195 of 9,207
WarriorAnt...

I have had my Lyr for 4 days now about 12 hours of play time...

OMG this amp makes the LCD2's come alive...

I have posted in other threads how much I like this amp with the LCD2's..

I sold my Schiit ASGARD and SOHAii....and have no real desire now other to enjoy the wonderful pairing that this amp and LCD2's bring.

I have played most all of my demo cds...those ones we all know and use to demo our stuff, from Nils Lofgren, Fanfare from Copeland, Holly Cole, Diana Krall, Nora Jones, Eva Cassidy,
Wynton M., Sting, Allison Krauss etc, etc, etc...

The soundstage and imaging are absolutley wonderful, the Lyr does not impede what you will hear....its more dependant on the actual source material..if its well recorded, mic'd and mastered it will be awesome all the away around, Imaging, soundstage, tonality, bandwith...musical etc..

Piano when well done sounds so real and lifelike....Billy Barbers Shades of Grey is so sweet..

I have up to 6 different recordings of several songs....and its easy to discern the differences in recording and mic'ing etc...what the recording engineer did etc....really amazing resolving capability.

Having up to 6 watts RMS as a resevoir of power does not hurt the sonic capabilites of what the LCD2's can do, if anything it enhances the LCD2's abilities, design etc..

Power to some equate to being able to fill up a room with sound depending on the efficiency of the transducers etc...not in this case...having the power reserve that can be tapped instantaneously with a pair of Orthos like the LCD's and others really helps (I think, my opinion) the overall presentation.

Inner detail, if its on the recording you will hear it good or bad....

Layering.....again if its in the source and mic'd well you will be able to hear the layers, the depth, combined with a great soundstage and imaging dependent on where the instruments are placed ....OMG "Juslang" is freaking awesome!!

I listen at the 9 am position most of the time, sometimes cranking up to 10 and 10:30am on the volume control and then things just become explosive...not destructive but a WOW !!!!
This so much like real music!!

Female voices sound like they are in your head...so perfect....Alanis Morrisette..... some of here loooong vocal passages are the best I have ever heard with this amp.....to die for......

What this amp offers is unlimited power compared to most other dedicated amps....CLASS A,  the ability to roll tubes (groan.....lol)...a price that is a best buy compared to most of the other great megabuck amps....a simple design, built like a brick Schiit house, dependable....its a very modern looking elegant overall package that with its real RMS watts makes for a marraige made in heaven with the LCD2's

If you buy one, and dont like it...you will have no problem selling it and Jason will take it back...15 day trial...whats not to loose and YOU can decide for youself if its a keeper or a lemon!!

Oh gosh what sweet lemonade this amp and phones makes!!

All the best!

Alex

o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back