Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 16, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #3,151 of 9,207

Quote:
I guess with a degree of caution, to ensure that I don't melt the drivers onto my ears...?

Of course.  On the positive side, since the ear cushions are leather rather than pleather, they won't melt, they'll just fry. 
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #3,152 of 9,207
How are the LCD-2 with Lyr with stock tubes compared to 6922 Genalex Gold Lions? Do the 6922 Genalex Gold Lions make that much difference?
I will probably use it with stock tubes for awhile until I can upgrade.  
And where can I purchased these 6922 Genalex Gold Lions and how much do they cost? 

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #3,153 of 9,207

Quote:
How are the LCD-2 with Lyr with stock tubes compared to 6922 Genalex Gold Lions? Do the 6922 Genalex Gold Lions make that much difference?
And where can I purchased these 6922 Genalex Gold Lions and how much do they cost? 

You'll likely get the same answer in this thread as you did in the Lyr tube rolling thread.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #3,154 of 9,207
Quote:
Exactly. The JJ tubes are average at best...a bit dry IMO. But roll in some better tubes and you're off to the races. I think many "non tube" fans bought it initially and didn't experiment with different tubes. Thanks to MrScary for rectifying that one.

The Lyr is a better amp at powering my LCD-2s (and HE-6s for that matter) than the more expensive Concerto and WA2. Don't let the price fool you, this is one heck of an ortho amp.
smile.gif

Would you mind sharing your tube tips as to to what tubes you thought outperformed the stock ones?

I’ve heard about the Mullards 6DJ8... Any other worthy of mention?

Thanx in advance!

Jul 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #3,155 of 9,207
Quote:

Would you mind sharing your tube tips as to to what tubes you thought outperformed the stock ones?

I’ve heard about the Mullards 6DJ8... Any other worthy of mention?

Thanx in advance!

I tried the Mullard CV2492s and they were great, I've also tried NOS Sylvania, Philips, and RCA 6922s. In the end, I preferred the Genalex Gold Lions. I found them the most transparent and really beautiful mids. I do have a pair of NOS GE 6BZ7s coming in late next week, they do have a bit more gain (20%) than the 6922/E88CC tube and might be a great match for my HE-6s...I'll report back when they're here.

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #3,157 of 9,207

Quote:

Jim McShane at JMcShane at prodigy.net does the best with matching these tubes. His web page is on audio asylum home page. A great tube vendor in Chicago.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #3,158 of 9,207
A question to those who have tested both the Schiit Lyr and Burson HA-160A, which one left the better impression on you? Currently looking for an amp/dac system around $1200 max and I cannot decide :frowning2:. Does not help that I cannot audition the amps.

Thanks

Jul 18, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #3,159 of 9,207
Quote:
I tried the Mullard CV2492s and they were great, I've also tried NOS Sylvania, Philips, and RCA 6922s. In the end, I preferred the Genalex Gold Lions. I found them the most transparent and really beautiful mids. I do have a pair of NOS GE 6BZ7s coming in late next week, they do have a bit more gain (20%) than the 6922/E88CC tube and might be a great match for my HE-6s...I'll report back when they're here.

Much appreciated ;¬)

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #3,160 of 9,207

Quote:
Jim McShane at JMcShane at prodigy.net does the best with matching these tubes. His web page is on audio asylum home page. A great tube vendor in Chicago.

I completely agree.  Jim McShane is a great guy and an expert on the Harmon Kardon Citation line of amplifiers and hi-fi equipment (classics!).  I rebuilt two Citation-II's and Jim was always there for me, helping me troubleshoot one particularly tough problem, and helping with parts and tubes as well. 

I've probably purchased 30 Gold Lion (re-issue) tubes of various types from Jim, including KT-88's, KT-77's, and 6922's.  All have been excellent.  In all of those I've only had 2 failures and Jim did a prompt replacement on both.  Unlike many online tube vendors, Jim takes the time to test and gain-match every tube he sells.  It would be worth paying more for this, yet Jim's prices are typically lower than many other sellers. 

Highly recommended!

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #3,161 of 9,207
A question to those who have tested both the Schiit Lyr and Burson HA-160A, which one left the better impression on you? Currently looking for an amp/dac system around $1200 max and I cannot decide :frowning2:. Does not help that I cannot audition the amps.

Thanks

The Burson is a very nice amp with the LCD-2s, but it lacks the dynamics and attack of the Lyr (with the right tubes).

Much appreciated ;¬)

Anytime. :smile:

Jul 18, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3,162 of 9,207
Thanks. Guess I'll be looking forward to your impressions of the NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes. Don't know anything about tubes so i guess if I was to get the Lyr I would go with the stock NOS GE 6BZ7 provided.

Quote:
The Burson is a very nice amp with the LCD-2s, but it lacks the dynamics and attack of the Lyr (with the right tubes).

Anytime.
smile.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #3,163 of 9,207

I will be purchasing the Audeze LCD-2 pretty soon and I don't really think I have a good dac/amp to power them to their full potential. I currently own the FiiO E7/E9. 

I do most of my listening on the computer, so what other dac/amp alternatives would you guys recommend for the LCD-2 that could drive them to their full potential?

I have a limited budget, probably around $400-$600 at the most for a DAC and amp.

I've been looking at the Nuforce Icon HDP since it's in my price range. Would the HDP be able to power the LCD-2's to it's full potential?

Also the Schiit Lyr has been getting a lot of praise, but it doesn't have a DAC, so I wouldn't be able to connect it to my computer? Get the Lyr and save up for a DAC?

Any other recommendations would be awesome!

Thank you soo much in advance!

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #3,164 of 9,207

Quote:
Thanks. Guess I'll be looking forward to you impressions of the NOS GE 6BZ7 tubes. Don't know anything about tubes so i guess if I was to get the Lyr I would go with the stock NOS GE 6BZ7 provided.

You know, I just put in a set of 6BZ7s today and I love them!  So far I think this the best I've heard out of the Lyr in my system.

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #3,165 of 9,207

Quote:

I will be purchasing the Audeze LCD-2 pretty soon and I don't really think I have a good dac/amp to power them to their full potential. I currently own the FiiO E7/E9. 

I do most of my listening on the computer, so what other dac/amp alternatives would you guys recommend for the LCD-2 that could drive them to their full potential?

I have a limited budget, probably around $400-$600 at the most for a DAC and amp.

I've been looking at the Nuforce Icon HDP since it's in my price range. Would the HDP be able to power the LCD-2's to it's full potential?

Also the Schiit Lyr has been getting a lot of praise, but it doesn't have a DAC, so I wouldn't be able to connect it to my computer? Get the Lyr and save up for a DAC?

Any other recommendations would be awesome!

Thank you soo much in advance!

There are many good one-box solutions available right now, e.g, Audio GD NFB-12, Fostex HP-A3, CEntrance Dacport, stuff from Yulong. All in your price range.

But, to my knowledge it is preferable to get separate amp and dac; IME that way you get the most flexibility and best results.

You could get something from HRT and combine it with an amp like an Asgard. An LCD2 is not as nitpicking with gear as other high end phones, but you will always get the best out of them with better components.

Personally I'd save up as much as I can and shoot for the offerings of Burson and/or Schiit, which are the best bang for the buck at the moment. They will do more than justice to the LCD2. 

You would have to get something cheap (Audio GD, Audinst) to cure the itch while you save.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back