Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 15, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #3,136 of 9,207
Sorry didn't read through this thread.  Can anyone compare the HDP vs Lyr with LCD-2?

Much appreciated. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #3,137 of 9,207
Sorry didn't read through this thread.  Can anyone compare the HDP vs Lyr with LCD-2?

Much appreciated. 

HDP...not ideal IMO...the LCD-2s sounded "polite" and thin with poor dynamics....the Lyr (as Kevin put it), kicks like a mule. :D

Orthos need power to reach their full potential and 4 W into 50 ohms from the Lyr does a phenomenal job driving both the LCD-2s and even HE-6s. The Nuforce on the other hand is only 250mW ish into 50 ohms...not enough to get your foot in the door with either can IMO.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #3,138 of 9,207

Quote:
HDP...not ideal IMO...the LCD-2s sounded "polite" and thin with poor dynamics....the Lyr (as Kevin put it), kicks like a mule.
biggrin.gif

Orthos need power to reach their full potential and 4 W into 50 ohms from the Lyr does a phenomenal job driving both the LCD-2s and even HE-6s. The Nuforce on the other hand is only 250mW ish into 50 ohms...not enough to get your foot in the door with either can IMO.

IMHO, the HDP is overpriced.  It's ok as an entry level DAC that happens to have a low powered headphone monitor circuit in it, but it's priced too high for what it delivers.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3,139 of 9,207

Quote:
IMHO, the HDP is overpriced.  It's ok as an entry level DAC that happens to have a low powered headphone monitor circuit in it, but it's priced too high for what it delivers.

I think as a DAC it's a little better than my $400 Headroom MicroDAC or Pico DAC.  And the headphone amp is not that underpowered, as they increased the output right before it was released but never updated the specs.  The headphone jack sounds identical to an RSA Protector in balanced mode, with slightly more power when driving HD600 but good bit more power when driving HE-6.  It also sounds much better with my 15v Sigma 11 PSU powering it.  Granted it's slightly aggressive sounding and not a great match with my HD800, but I think it does a nice job with the LCD-2, Denon D7000, HF-2, and a very good job with HD600.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #3,140 of 9,207
While I generally agree with Kevin based on my experiences, I will concede that the HDP does a "nice" job with the LCD-2s. The thing is, the Lyr with the proper tubes does a fantastic job with the LCD-2s. :smile:

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3,141 of 9,207
"Kicks like a mule"  is a very apt description of the Lyr. I suspect the Lyr isn't as praised as it deserves because many have formulated opinions based on stock configuration. It's elevated to another level with the right tubes.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #3,142 of 9,207
"Kicks like a mule"  is a very apt description of the Lyr. I suspect the Lyr isn't as praised as it deserves because many have formulated opinions based on stock configuration. It's elevated to another level with the right tubes.

Exactly. The JJ tubes are average at best...a bit dry IMO. But roll in some better tubes and you're off to the races. I think many "non tube" fans bought it initially and didn't experiment with different tubes. Thanks to MrScary for rectifying that one.

The Lyr is a better amp at powering my LCD-2s (and HE-6s for that matter) than the more expensive Concerto and WA2. Don't let the price fool you, this is one heck of an ortho amp. :smile:

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #3,143 of 9,207
Exactly. The JJ tubes are average at best...a bit dry IMO. But roll in some better tubes and you're off to the races. I think many "non tube" fans bought it initially and didn't experiment with different tubes. Thanks to MrScary for rectifying that one.

The Lyr is a better amp at powering my LCD-2s (and HE-6s for that matter) than the more expensive Concerto and WA2. Don't let the price fool you, this is one heck of an ortho amp. :smile:

but is it that much better than a HA-160D?

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #3,145 of 9,207

I'm currently using HD650s, but considering LCD-2s.

I have an old gadget called a 'Can Opener' from a couple of decades ago, which was designed to connect the speaker outputs of my equally old Naim power amp to a headphone socket.

The NAP-250 that I have will deliver around 10A/70VA continuously, and 15A/400VA peak... but the Can Opener fortunately attenuates the signal to sensible levels for headphones. I used to a pair of old Beyers (1980s vintage 990s?) and it worked fine with them.

I suspect that this might sound spectacular into the 650s or LCD-2s, and it will cost me nothing to try with the 650s. I just need to retrieve it from my friend who I loaned it to some years ago; he's happy to return it.

I'm really tempted by the idea, so do you think I should I give it a try, given how much I like the 650s and the prospect of the LCD-2s?

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #3,146 of 9,207
Has anyone read anything about the Butte desktop amp designed by Pete Millet and how it performs with the LCD-2? I know it hasn't been released yet and I don't think Tyll has had the opportunity to give it a listen but it has me curious. For people like me on a limited budget it might be the entry into the world of Millet designed and built amps...

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #3,147 of 9,207

Quote:
While I generally agree with Kevin based on my experiences, I will concede that the HDP does a "nice" job with the LCD-2s. The thing is, the Lyr with the proper tubes does a fantastic job with the LCD-2s.
smile.gif

I understand.  I haven't tried the Lyr yet, and the DACmini and SR-71b with balanced Silver Dragon also do a better job with the LCD-2, but the HDP still isn't anything to shake a stick at. Now that my ZDT has the upgraded partial silver transformers it is my best amp for the LCD-2.

Jul 16, 2011 at 2:23 AM Post #3,149 of 9,207

Quote:

I'm currently using HD650s, but considering LCD-2s.

I have an old gadget called a 'Can Opener' from a couple of decades ago, which was designed to connect the speaker outputs of my equally old Naim power amp to a headphone socket.

The NAP-250 that I have will deliver around 10A/70VA continuously, and 15A/400VA peak... but the Can Opener fortunately attenuates the signal to sensible levels for headphones. I used to a pair of old Beyers (1980s vintage 990s?) and it worked fine with them.

I suspect that this might sound spectacular into the 650s or LCD-2s, and it will cost me nothing to try with the 650s. I just need to retrieve it from my friend who I loaned it to some years ago; he's happy to return it.

I'm really tempted by the idea, so do you think I should I give it a try, given how much I like the 650s and the prospect of the LCD-2s?

By all means, give it a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back