Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jul 24, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #3,196 of 9,207
I'm trying to make a composite of notes on which tubes will work the best with the Lyr.  But I keep getting confused.   Is there a consensus among LYR/LCD-2 users?  If so can someone post them up here?  I don't have the fortitude to go over to the LYR rolling thread and many of those folks over there are not always using the LCD-2.   

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #3,197 of 9,207
Ant man...I did mucho research and got mine with the 6BZ7's...they will send you a matched set.
Just try these..if your not happy I will buy them from you!!!

You can try many, many others and get lost in tube rolling etc..

I dont want that I want great sound, now and you dont have to spend megabucks on "rare" NOS tubes to get great and I mean world class sound out of your LCD2's with the Lyr...

The 6BZ7's are my favorite....would not even go close to the 6N1P or 6CG7 or 6GU7...I would try the EC88c's..again get a matched pair....from a reliable source...NOT Ebay!! LOL!!

Heres the post from Jason:

Okay, here's the official word on 6CG7 and 6GU7, based on Mike's stash of NOS JAN Phillips and NOS RCAs, respectively. Cliff's Notes version: Mr. Scary gets the Golden Tube Ear award. He's spot-on in subjective impression of the 6CG7, and the 6GU7 is actually worse, flabby and flatulent. 

If you take a look at the tube curves on the datasheet, this isn't surprising. At the Lyr's cathode voltage, these two tubes are operating in a relatively nonlinear area. Measured distortion is about 1-2% at 5V out, versus Lyr's typical 0.05%-0.1% with 6DJ8/6922/E88CC types. They're also much lower gain. Compare gains:

E88CC = 10
6BZ7 = 12
6N1P = 13
6CG7 = 7
6GU7 = 6

The low gain is also indicative of operating low on the curve. The overall sound is slurred, fat, and odd--the tube table radio of yore. 

Bottom line: for Lyr, stick to 6DJ8s and close relatives. The 6BZ7 is actually an early relative of the 6DJ8, with higher anode voltage capability, but still good linearity at lower voltages. 

Personally, if we were going to use the 6CG7/6GU7s in an amp, we'd bypass them completely and use 6SN7s, since the better geometry makes a better tube--and we'd run it with a 400Vish rail, to get it in a linear operating area. 

On the other hand, the taller 6CG7s and 6GU7s were easier to pull out of the chassis, so it's not all bad!

All the best!
Alex

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #3,198 of 9,207
^^ Well said Alex.

I love the Lyr with my GE 6BZ7s....so much so, I just picked up a pair of NOS Sylvania 6BZ7s to give them a try (and have a back up). I think I prefer them slightly over my (now sold) Mullard CV2492s and find them comparable to my Genalex Gold Lion ECC88s. Though the 20% or so more gain (with the 6BZ7s) is favourable with my HE-6s.

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #3,199 of 9,207
Quote:
The Lyr has it all...great sound, tone, imaging, power
tongue.gif
, and all at a fantastic price. With the right tubes, it can compete with amps 2-3X it's price.

Only 2-3x times? 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #3,200 of 9,207

Quote:
^^ Well said Alex.

I love the Lyr with my GE 6BZ7s....so much so, I just picked up a pair of NOS Sylvania 6BZ7s to give them a try (and have a back up). I think I prefer them slightly over my (now sold) Mullard CV2492s and find them comparable to my Genalex Gold Lion ECC88s. Though the 20% or so more gain (with the 6BZ7s) is favourable with my HE-6s.

Hero,  Which do you prefer the Woo WA2 or the Lyr?  

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #3,202 of 9,207
Hero,  Which do you prefer the Woo WA2 or the Lyr?  

I preferred the Lyr with the Genalex Gold Lions or even stock NOS GE 6BZ7s. I didn't care for the JJ tubes... a bit dry IMO. My WA2 with upgraded tubes cost $1400ish and the Lyr with the Genalex Gold Lions cost about $550ish....that would be approx. 2.5x a cost difference.

The WA2 sounded great with the LCD-2s, don't get me wrong...but it lacked the dynamics and attack of the Lyr. The bass with the Lyr was better controlled and the most improvement was with regards to the treble....some have found it a bit too far back in the sound stage with the LCD-2s. The Lyr brought that more forward without being bright in any way.

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #3,203 of 9,207

Quote:
Ant man...I did mucho research and got mine with the 6BZ7's...they will send you a matched set.
Just try these..if your not happy I will buy them from you!!!

You can try many, many others and get lost in tube rolling etc..

I dont want that I want great sound, now and you dont have to spend megabucks on "rare" NOS tubes to get great and I mean world class sound out of your LCD2's with the Lyr...

The 6BZ7's are my favorite....would not even go close to the 6N1P or 6CG7 or 6GU7...I would try the EC88c's..again get a matched pair....from a reliable source...NOT Ebay!! LOL!!

Heres the post from Jason:

Okay, here's the official word on 6CG7 and 6GU7, based on Mike's stash of NOS JAN Phillips and NOS RCAs, respectively. Cliff's Notes version: Mr. Scary gets the Golden Tube Ear award. He's spot-on in subjective impression of the 6CG7, and the 6GU7 is actually worse, flabby and flatulent. 

If you take a look at the tube curves on the datasheet, this isn't surprising. At the Lyr's cathode voltage, these two tubes are operating in a relatively nonlinear area. Measured distortion is about 1-2% at 5V out, versus Lyr's typical 0.05%-0.1% with 6DJ8/6922/E88CC types. They're also much lower gain. Compare gains:

E88CC = 10
6BZ7 = 12
6N1P = 13
6CG7 = 7
6GU7 = 6

The low gain is also indicative of operating low on the curve. The overall sound is slurred, fat, and odd--the tube table radio of yore. 

Bottom line: for Lyr, stick to 6DJ8s and close relatives. The 6BZ7 is actually an early relative of the 6DJ8, with higher anode voltage capability, but still good linearity at lower voltages. 

Personally, if we were going to use the 6CG7/6GU7s in an amp, we'd bypass them completely and use 6SN7s, since the better geometry makes a better tube--and we'd run it with a 400Vish rail, to get it in a linear operating area. 

On the other hand, the taller 6CG7s and 6GU7s were easier to pull out of the chassis, so it's not all bad!

All the best!
Alex

Thanks for the info.

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #3,204 of 9,207

Quote:
I preferred the Lyr with the Genalex Gold Lions or even stock NOS GE 6BZ7s. I didn't care for the JJ tubes... a bit dry IMO. My WA2 with upgraded tubes cost $1400ish and the Lyr with the Genalex Gold Lions cost about $550ish....that would be approx. 2.5x a cost difference.

The WA2 sounded great with the LCD-2s, don't get me wrong...but it lacked the dynamics and attack of the Lyr. The bass with the Lyr was better controlled and the most improvement was with regards to the treble....some have found it a bit too far back in the sound stage with the LCD-2s. The Lyr brought that more forward without being bright in any way.

Interesting about the Lyr and the treble.  I wonder how that same combo will fare with the LCD-2 r.'s newly found upper extension.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #3,205 of 9,207
Ant,

I have the Rev2's...and the bass is just so NICE!!

The treble is accurate, if its there you hear it if its not well done it will be not well done...

These cans are so flat. accurate and neutral....

I was thinking of the Woo also its a good amp but for the cost, you just cant get any better in my humble 62 yr old opinion...

I hate to stop listening with these cans and this amp....u get lost in the music over and over...

I did have a set of AKG 702 that the soundstage was very nice...but what is missing there it they were so analytical and 'dry'....

The musicality of this combination is world class.....

Good luck with your choice!!

Alex

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #3,206 of 9,207
I didn't realize Schiit was putting out a balanced amp soon so now the choice has varied again.  I'm waiting until summers end before I make a desicion.  The tube amp will be my secondary amp.  The Woo WA2 is of great interest because it can be used as a pre amp also.  Jason says the Lyr can do that also but I have had no feedback from anyone about that function.  Perhaps MacedonianHero has used the Lyr as a preamp?  I know you said you used the WA2 preamp function in one of your setups.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #3,210 of 9,207

+1! I'd like to know who "they" is too Alex - TIA
Quote:
Alex, When you say "They will send you a set" do you mean Schiit?  i looked over at the their site and didn't see anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back