Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 15, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #8,762 of 9,207

i'm happy to answer questions about the Soloist SL MK2, let me know if you have any queries :) 

Hey Harry, thanks for the reply. Why did you end up choosing the MK2 over an alternative in its range? 

I went into addicted to audio, which is like an audio shop in Melbourne, and I listened to a few different amps with the 2's, that included the Jot, SL MK2, LYR2, + a friend of mine owns a $1500 questyle CMA 600i so I had a decent gauge of what I liked. the Questyle was the most transparent, the jot was the most fun, the Lyr was imo worse than the jot in terms of most areas bar total power output,  and the SL MK2 was also very transparent with my LCD-2, and considering the price difference between the 600i and the MK2 I found the Burson to be really good value.

EDIT: plus a2a offered to sell me their demo unit so I got a really good price on what I had already decided to buy at full price

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #8,763 of 9,207

I went into addicted to audio, which is like an audio shop in Melbourne, and I listened to a few different amps with the 2's, that included the Jot, SL MK2, LYR2, + a friend of mine owns a $1500 questyle CMA 600i so I had a decent gauge of what I liked. the Questyle was the most transparent, the jot was the most fun, the Lyr was imo worse than the jot in terms of most areas bar total power output,  and the SL MK2 was also very transparent with my LCD-2, and considering the price difference between the 600i and the MK2 I found the Burson to be really good value.

EDIT: plus a2a offered to sell me their demo unit so I got a really good price on what I had already decided to buy at full price

Congrats... but lets go back to the Jot shall we? How did you like them with the LCD-2? I already have the Deckard... but for some reason, Balanced headphones keep calling me. So, if the Jot sounds as good as the Deckard and swings more power in balanced, then... I'm in.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #8,764 of 9,207
  Congrats... but lets go back to the Jot shall we? How did you like them with the LCD-2? I already have the Deckard... but for some reason, Balanced headphones keep calling me. So, if the Jot sounds as good as the Deckard and swings more power in balanced, then... I'm in.

The Jot was a lot more 'fun' sounding with the 2's. I think because of the lcd-2's FR curve the burson would make it closer to neutral, where the Jot would do that less. So with the jot you essentially have what i'd almost call more of a v-shaped sound... but I don't actually think this is the case, that's just what I can compare it to in my mind, also another thing to note about the Jot is it can be fairly forgiving, I gave it some amazing recordings and then also stuff like Imagine by Lennon and it sounded pretty good.

I have at times wished I got the Jot, however for the majority of the music I listen to the Burson win's for me. What is your music genre preference?

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #8,765 of 9,207
I have at times wished I got the Jot, however for the majority of the music I listen to the Burson win's for me. What is your music genre preference?

Wonderful question... not 100% sure, but I like Diana Krall, St. Germain compilations (alot actually), some Folk, Smooth Jazz, R&B, some Pop. A mix in general (that is with the LCD). When I want EDM, Dub, Metal, Hair Metal, etc... I use the TH-X00 PH.

Actually... anyone with Tidal... do you listen to similar music? Do you have a playlist that you can share?

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #8,766 of 9,207
Has anyone managed to try the ALO PanAm with the LCD-2f? I just got the LCD-2f and I'm currently being offered a very good deal for it but am unsure of how the tubes would impact the sound. Any thoughts?

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #8,767 of 9,207

Wonderful question... not 100% sure, but I like Diana Krall, St. Germain compilations (alot actually), some Folk, Smooth Jazz, R&B, some Pop. A mix in general (that is with the LCD). When I want EDM, Dub, Metal, Hair Metal, etc... I use the TH-X00 PH.

Actually... anyone with Tidal... do you listen to similar music? Do you have a playlist that you can share?

Haha, it seems like in an ideal world you'd have a mix between the two amps. Could you either listen to them both, or buy them both and return the one you don't prefer?

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #8,768 of 9,207
  I am using SPL Phonitor amp (pro audio) and playing Dire Straits Brothers In Arms makes it sound like 3D, drums way in front of the head and guitar on the side, just like watching them. I don't know where they were standing at the recording, but it is a new scale of experience compare to other headphones on same setup. Headphone out of my cd player with LCD-2 sounds better then with T1. No previous experience with orthos (that I remember).

Absolutely cosign the Phonitor. If you can afford it, it's an absolutely monster amp, and it's perfect with these cans.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #8,769 of 9,207
Anyone find an amp that they like the pairing with, that are portable/transportable for these? I kind of like listening at different areas around the house, and 'am thinking that I'd like to pick up the Onkyo DP-X1. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #8,773 of 9,207
Looking to buy a more suitable amp for my LCD-2s. Currently using a Valhalla2 with my HD650s. Any recommendations for an amp that will suit the needs for both the HD650s and the LCD-2s. I'm leaning towards Lyr 2 or the Vali 2.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #8,774 of 9,207
  Looking to buy a more suitable amp for my LCD-2s. Currently using a Valhalla2 with my HD650s. Any recommendations for an amp that will suit the needs for both the HD650s and the LCD-2s. I'm leaning towards Lyr 2 or the Vali 2.

The Vali 2 works well - and you can change the sound slightly by trying other tubes. Depending on your budget I would also recommend taking a look at the Cavalli Liquid Carbon - it's one of my favorite combos with the LCD-2s.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #8,775 of 9,207
I did not like the Vali 2 with the LCD-2f. I had the stock tube and the BEL E88CC upgraded tube. They sounded good on everything I had, except the Audeze EL-8O and even worse on the LCD-2f. I sold it off and picked up the Deckard which sounds much better with the LCD-2f to my ears. I felt the Vali2 slowed the LCD-2f down more than it needed and made them seem bloated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back