Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 2, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #9,061 of 9,207
Hi guys,

I have auditioned the lcd 2 Fazor with a proper headphone amp. I cannot recall the model/brand but I loved the sound.

Well, would you say that a dragonfly cobalt can adequately power the lcd 2? I guess there are always benefits it getting something better, but if I get 90% of the performance with this combo I would be totally fine.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #9,062 of 9,207
Hi guys,

I have auditioned the lcd 2 Fazor with a proper headphone amp. I cannot recall the model/brand but I loved the sound.

Well, would you say that a dragonfly cobalt can adequately power the lcd 2? I guess there are always benefits it getting something better, but if I get 90% of the performance with this combo I would be totally fine.

I would say that yes, you will get music through the LCD2 and the DF Cobalt but it will be thin and uninspiring. The Cobalt just doesn't have the power to push the LCD2. If you spend the money needed for an LCD 2 then buy a proper amp. It doesn't have to be an expensive amp, just something with a bit more power.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #9,063 of 9,207
Hi guys,

It will work fine. The new LCD-2 and LCD-2 Classic only need 25 mW at 1.33 V / 19 mA to reach a deafening 115 dB SPL. Because they have flat impedance, you can run them out of anything provided they can supply the above voltage and current.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #9,064 of 9,207
Power is not juste about SPL, particularly with the audeze that goes very low.
I don't know the frequency used for your 115 db spl but I can tell you that 25mW won't make it all. Your low end will be completely anemic.

Dec 20, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #9,066 of 9,207
Power is not juste about SPL, particularly with the audeze that goes very low.
I don't know the frequency used for your 115 db spl but I can tell you that 25mW won't make it all. Your low end will be completely anemic.
It’s 25 mW at all frequencies because of flat impedance.

Dec 20, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #9,067 of 9,207
It’s 25 mW at all frequencies because of flat impedance.
Refer to Audeze website they recommend a minimum of 200mWatts and up for all the new gen. "2" stuff and 1-2 watts per channel probably best just to have that large headroom for current pull spikes for sub-bass/complex mids passages.

You'll get "sound" out of 25mWatts that is about it.... I use less than 100mWatts device if I wants mids emphasis and to tame down both ends.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #9,068 of 9,207
Refer to Audeze website they recommend a minimum of 200mWatts and up for all the new gen. "2" stuff and 1-2 watts per channel probably best just to have that large headroom for current pull spikes for sub-bass/complex mids passages.

You'll get "sound" out of 25mWatts that is about it.... I use less than 100mWatts device if I wants mids emphasis and to tame down both ends.
The voltage & impedance to SPL graph on Innerfidelity says otherwise. It’s practically constant at all frequencies. Claiming otherwise is pseudoscience.

The recommendations don’t mean anything. The Mobius supposedly has a 1 W amp inside it which is questionable. They don’t specify the headphone impedance for that value. It does not correspond to the headphone model on the page because they blindly copy the same recommendation on all their headphone pages with varying impedances. I doubt it’s better than a Fulla 3 at 70 ohms. By that scale, a real 50 mW amp at 70 ohms far exceeds their recommendations.

I hear zero audible difference at 20 Hz on my LCD-2 Classic when using my Sound Blaster ZxR, Realtek onboard, Marantz SR6012, iPad, and various higher powered FiiO headphone amps which I discarded because they were pointless.

I’m the first person to trash a system if it doesn’t reproduce 20 Hz properly at reference levels.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #9,070 of 9,207
The voltage & impedance to SPL graph on Innerfidelity says otherwise. It’s practically constant at all frequencies. Claiming otherwise is pseudoscience.

The recommendations don’t mean anything. The Mobius supposedly has a 1 W amp inside it which is questionable. They don’t specify the headphone impedance for that value. It does not correspond to the headphone model on the page because they blindly copy the same recommendation on all their headphone pages with varying impedances. I doubt it’s better than a Fulla 3 at 70 ohms. By that scale, a real 50 mW amp at 70 ohms far exceeds their recommendations.

I hear zero audible difference at 20 Hz on my LCD-2 Classic when using my Sound Blaster ZxR, Realtek onboard, Marantz SR6012, iPad, and various higher powered FiiO headphone amps which I discarded because they were pointless.

I’m the first person to trash a system if it doesn’t reproduce 20 Hz properly at reference levels.
How do you verify your 20hz?

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #9,071 of 9,207
No I mean your number of 25 mW what was the frequency used for this measurement. But I guess you don't know.
At all frequencies. The impedance is a flat line.

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #9,073 of 9,207
Which graph are you referring to?
The newer LCD-2 model’s impedance (70 ohms) vs frequency graph. Though the sensitivity of 101 dB / mW is rated at 1 kHz, it’s constant for all frequencies (apart from variances in frequency response) as the impedance is constant. It’s effectively a resistor, so the power required is constant at all frequencies. The older LCD-2 models with higher impedance needed 10x the power.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #9,074 of 9,207

I’ll put it another way. There are no current spikes on the LCD-2 as it’s a resistive load. When playing at 115 dB, it consumes 25 mW regardless of whether it’s producing powerful bass or feeble treble. At low frequencies most of the power drawn is turned into sound energy, and at high frequencies most of the power drawn is dissipated as heat. So the amp just needs to be able to supply the minimum power (and voltage) for your listening level, which is less than 25 mW at 70 ohms.

Audeze’s blanket power recommendations are probably at 300 ohms as they clearly do not correspond to the model of headphone on the page.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back