1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by oqvist, Jun 4, 2010.
First

Back
593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602
  1. Amish
    You seem like you don't really know what you want. Maybe hold off on the amp and dac for now and save up money. Those headphones can run off of MBP for now. The MBP can be used as a dac for now anyway (like you said) and then just buy a better amp to power the headphones.

Honestly I'd save up more money and get a nice dac/amp combo down the road. If you really need something now then just get the x7s

2. awcamaro
    You're right about me not really knowing what I want. I haven't really had the opportunity to test out dac/amps, so I'm not positive what I should be spending my money on or if I should be saving up. The reason I'm taking the plunge for the 2C's is because I had the chance to visit an audio store during a trip to NYC, and after trying several pairs from the 990's, 660's, 1990's, some Hifiman stuff, I absolutely fell in love with the 2C's. I figure it'd save me money in the long run to go for something I know I love, instead of messing around with things that almost get me there, especially since I have the budget for it. Problem is in the store, I was listening to them off the iFi Micro iDSD BL's, which are $600, and definitely puts me over budget. They didn't really have any cheaper amps in store, nor were they very adamant about recommending anything from JDS or Schitt.

I guess it just seems wrong to be listening to the LCD's off a MBP, but I suppose to more experienced audiophiles, it's equally wrong sounding to be listening to them off cheap amp/dacs. But saving up for a better dac/amp combo does make sense. Any way I can get a better sense of what I want/need, especially if I don't really have any access to audiophile stores to test out dac/amps?

Thanks!

3. Amish
    Yeah I hear you man. Starting off with the headphones you love is awesome. The MBP might not do them justice but at least you own them now.

One thing that happens to a lot of people just getting started is they settle for the gear they can afford then quickly realize they want something better. Ultimately they end up spending more than if they just bought what they really wanted early on, hence my suggestion to save up.

The X7S is a decent little amp so I figure you can't go wrong with it. But if you really liked that iFi Micro then you will most likely always have that in the back of your mind.

I wouldn't worry about a dac since the MBP can handle that well enough. Just put your money into a good amp. Or a good amp/dac combo unit.

No matter what you do, good luck! You already have a head start since you bought the headphones you really dig. This hobby can get expensive that's for sure.

To answer your question, if you can't test the equipment then its a hard one. Reading a lot of reviews might help, finding people that use your headphones and seeing what they use might help. Nothing beats testing the equipment yourself. I mean if enough people love something there is a good chance you will too. No guarantee but it can help.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  4. awcamaro
    Thanks for the advice! I failed to mention, one of the things that drew me into the Topping setup was the fact that it has great remote control functionality. I've been working on the layout of my setup, and right now it's gravitated towards being a "living room" esque setup (I live in a studio, so more like couch+coffee table+tv esque setup). The dac/amp would probably be situated on the tv stand, so being able to control it from the couch, as well as the ability to switch between headphones and speakers would be a great plus. It probably won't be migrating to the coffee table due to the fact that it'll probably also be plugged into the PS4 and TV.

I'd like to do most of these longer listening sessions here instead of at my desk where I'm constantly standing and moving around between my computer and drafting table. At the couch, I'd probably be listening from the laptop or phone (LDAC), or watching a bluray with the headphones. I have powered speakers so I don't really need the speaker amp of the MX3 so I've been looking a lot into the DX3 Pro's and all the issues that came with them. Got me into a rabbit hole of headphone impedance vs output impedance, number crunching and what not.

Related question - so I've heard mixed things about the 1/8 or 1/10 rule with headphone and output impedances, and that planar's aren't really affected by this. (DX3 Pro got downgraded to a 10 ohm output impedance when Topping released the new, more "reliable" unit). And I haven't found much anecdotes of people using the DX3 Pro's with LCD's.

Any thoughts?
    And thanks again!

First

Back
593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602