Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Apr 7, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #9,091 of 9,207
I just stumbled upon a pretty good deal on a pair of pre Fazor LCD-2's. Would my JDS Atom provide enough power or do they need more? If not, would a Magni Heresy be enough. What inexpensive amp would be enough? I'm using a Topping D10 as my DAC.

Apr 8, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #9,093 of 9,207
I don't have the atom, but I do have the JDS element (pretty much the same amp) and a Magni and both runs them no problems at all. I have not done a lot of comparison between the 2 amps however, so I couldnt tell you which one of those 2 would be my preference with the lcd2f, I would advise you to use what you have first (atom) at any rate and then decide afterwards if you want to pursue something else.

If after listening you decide you do not like that pairing, then spend some time looking for the right upgrade. If I get a chance I will do a comparison of the element vs magni for the lcd2f and let you know, but it could be a bit, I recently got a schiit lyr 3 amp and it has been using all of my listening time.

May 2, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #9,094 of 9,207
Just got a LCD-2F now while most of the time they will be mated to the little dot, there might be some times that I want to move around with them. While the iphone directly surprisingly can handle the LcD-2 well, what is a good portable amp (preferably less than $500) that can make them to their full potential? Maintains or even goes better on the holographic soundstage, maintains good solid clean bass, doesnt mess with those heavenly vocals and doesnt mess up the treble? Currently have the stock non balanced cable.

May 2, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #9,095 of 9,207
Just got a LCD-2F now while most of the time they will be mated to the little dot, there might be some times that I want to move around with them. While the iphone directly surprisingly can handle the LcD-2 well, what is a good portable amp (preferably less than $500) that can make them to their full potential? Maintains or even goes better on the holographic soundstage, maintains good solid clean bass, doesnt mess with those heavenly vocals and doesnt mess up the treble? Currently have the stock non balanced cable.
There's no audible difference on my LCD-2 Classic between any amp ranging from on-board audio to my THX 788 amp. Even direct output from my iPhone sounds the same except for the maximum volume.

May 4, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #9,097 of 9,207
Questyle cma 600i vs violectric v100?

I found both units second hand for roughly the same price. I was wondering who has listening experience on both of these. I did read that the questyle 600i amp has a smoothness to it when used with an external DAC (I have a TEAC which sounds neutral). I also read the v100 has great bass extension and good warmth. So which one to grab? It'll be tough to audition them with the current situation and it's both a far drive.

I am using the LCD2-fazor rev2 and I prefer a darker amp signature. I also own a questyle cma400i and it's been boxed again doing nothing, too bright/peaky sounding. It's mostly down to the DAC I think, since on speakers it gave the same peaky character. It got swapped for a littledot mk2. I listen to anything from classical OST to electronic, really enjoy a good sub rumble from the LCD2. Any thoughts?

*edit* doing some more A/B with the littledot mk2 and the CMA400i, the bass seems too controlled (or held back compared to the rest of the spectrum) to me on the 400i. I am doing this with the 400i on full gain and on the balanced output.

Checking the power ratings on the 400i/600i/V100 and some feedback I've seen throughout this thread, it seems like I need some more powa. I did some basic spreadsheeting based on impedance measurements of the LCD2 fazor (64 Ohms) and came to the following power delivery of each, assuming a linear power/impedance response of each:

400i: 1107 mW (gives 30 and 300 Ohms)
600i: 1748 mW (same)
V100: 2172 mW (multiple data points, this is based on their 50 and 100 Ohm data)

My guess is that my best bet will be a V100.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #9,098 of 9,207
Is the RobinetteBox still the recommended solution for connecting these headphones directly to the speaker terminals on a tube amp? I have a pretty decent stereo (see profile info) running 300B monoblocks and it would be great to utilize as much of the existing equipment as I can when listening with headphones.

Are there pre-built versions of the RB or is it strictly a DIY affair?
https://robrobinette.com/RobinetteBox.htm

May 26, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #9,099 of 9,207
Hey. I'm an old member long time out of the game. I bought a LCD-2 Rev.2 way back at the end of 2011 (Rosewood w/ straight connectors so pretty OLD). They are still working great which is shocking. I've been using a V200 amp alongside a Rega DAC for 8 years (which has a pleasing warm sound). I'm wondering lately if there is a better amp out there that would push these better than the V200? I've followed the Audeze evolution these years but not the amp/dac game so I need some tips. If anyone can recommend anything better I'm all ears. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #9,100 of 9,207
Hey. I'm an old member long time out of the game. I bought a LCD-2 Rev.2 way back at the end of 2011 (Rosewood w/ straight connectors so pretty OLD). They are still working great which is shocking. I've been using a V200 amp alongside a Rega DAC for 8 years (which has a pleasing warm sound). I'm wondering lately if there is a better amp out there that would push these better than the V200? I've followed the Audeze evolution these years but not the amp/dac game so I need some tips. If anyone can recommend anything better I'm all ears. Thanks. :)

My LCD-2's date back from the first year of Audeze, and I did have to send them back once for splitting wood around the connector, but they are very original. Recently I picked up a used Schiit Ragnarok, which is rated for speaker use as well as headphone use. It is outstanding on the early LCD-2's like ours. It runs in Class A (a modified Circlotron topology which is very cool for an OTL tube guy like me) for headphone use and sound spectacular with my old Audeze cans. Highly recommended.

May 27, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #9,101 of 9,207
The new THX AAA amps are objectively among the best amps made, and they are relatively cheap. They have enough power for the most inefficient headphones and are transparent, so there is no point in buying anything else.

May 27, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #9,102 of 9,207
My LCD-2's date back from the first year of Audeze, and I did have to send them back once for splitting wood around the connector, but they are very original. Recently I picked up a used Schiit Ragnarok, which is rated for speaker use as well as headphone use. It is outstanding on the early LCD-2's like ours. It runs in Class A (a modified Circlotron topology which is very cool for an OTL tube guy like me) for headphone use and sound spectacular with my old Audeze cans. Highly recommended.

I never used the supplied oil on my pair. They're kinda dry actually but the wood never cracked. I read so many stories about it along with the drivers dying so I've been lucky. :smirk:

I remember Schiit getting big right after I bought my gear and they've really done a lot since then. I'm reading nothing but great things about the Ragnarok with the LCD-2. It could be a good pairing with the Yggdrasil for a complete upgrade but I've gotta do some reading. :smile_phones:

The new THX AAA amps are objectively among the best amps made, and they are relatively cheap. They have enough power for the most inefficient headphones and are transparent, so there is no point in buying anything else.

I wish they had more amps like that around back in the day. Could have saved some money! :open_mouth:

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #9,104 of 9,207
Paired with TEAC UD-H01, dual mono style DAC with balanced outs.
I am currently testing out a THX 789, just got it yesterday. First impression is that it's very nice, but not a detail monster and might lack a little bite in that sense. Sub-bass extension is very good, but doesn't slam compared to an iCAN SE with the bass EQ on 1 notch up. I'd say this amp presents the headphones as they are and very gently evens out any percieved sibbilance and harshness. This amp brings out the mids the most I'd say.
I am still very curious to try the LCD2 with a violectric V100 and 200. Still chasing low end slam.

(tested my impressions on balanced in/out only, have not tested on the SE cables that I usually use as interconnects.)

2nd sit down with it and A/Bing the SE and balanced inputs from my TEAC. The balanced inputs are the bassiest, which is what I like, but only by an extremely slight margin. This amp leans ever so slightly towards warmth compared to others and I'm really liking it so far. Just make sure you use the balanced inputs to get the most from it. According to my extrapolation of the specs, it should deliver 5380 mW per channel into the 64 Ohm LCD2f.

update 2020 06 03:
I upgraded my balanced cable to the current stock LCD black braided model. I figured that the sound difference between balanced and SE could not be this significant, so it must be the cable. I now have the SE and balanced of the LCD braided variant so I can compare more fairly.
Comparing the THX 789 to the Questyle CMA400i, the CMA400i is a lot more sterile sounding. I think the CMA400i sounds like it has more negative feedback going on to keep everything under control. Personally I think it's to the detriment of bass response on the 400i, but makes way for a little bit of mid congestion in the 789. The staging and presentation on the CMA400i however is still absolutely excellent, if you mostly listen to jazz and classical it could be perfect for you. However I listen to a wide variety of genres, so I love me a good quantity of low-end. The THX 789 does not disappoint, especially on a quality balanced cable. It should not have costed $400 in my opinion, $300 is pretty good. It does seem to have some flaws on my LCD2f. I never got mids seemingly ringing on any other amp like this (some pianos, low glockenspiel). I'm exaggerating a little of course, it's relative terms.

The littledot mk2 into the ifi iCan SE is still pretty excellent, but construction of the littledot is just not very good. Sometimes I need to poke the tubes into the right position to get the correct balance. I can fix this myself by redoing all soldering.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #9,105 of 9,207
I bought the LCD-2 V1 eons ago when they came out, and Alex and Sankar let me update to the V2 a few years later, which I really liked. But with my cervical spine disc disease they were soooo heavy and big that they hurt my neck after listening for one full album.

i traded them for a Moon-Audio Black Dragon cable for my HE-1000se, and I do miss them. They ran great out of my CEntrance DACmini for years, as well as my Eddie Current ZDT. I’d bet money that the Schmitt Audio Magni 3+ would be the best bang for the buck with them these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back