Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 21, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #9,076 of 9,207
How do you came to this conclusion?!
That is what a constant impedance vs frequency value means - it’s effectively a resistor. It draws constant power at a given voltage regardless of frequency.

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #9,079 of 9,207
No, constant impedance vs frequency doesn't mean equal power at all the frequencies for the same SPL.
Same voltage, not SPL. SPL at the same voltage varies with frequency response from the nominal sensitivity value at 1 kHz. I incorrectly conflated the two in my previous response.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #9,080 of 9,207
I know is not the ideal config, but do you guys think that the balanced output of the Sony zx300 (supposed to deliver 200 mW @ 16 ohms) could be enough to enjoy the LCD2C (although not at it's full potential obviously)
I'm thinking about buying the Audezes but i'm a rookie in the amp world. Only have a headstage arrow 4 from years ago. If it's not enough i'd prefer a portable amp to move around the house and not be chained to my chair when i use them (i can't imagine myself with these monsters on the street), but it seems that all the options are really expensive... Is there any amp under 200 euros that could drive them properly? (sorry if i repeat a question already answered, but i've been trying to find something on the thread but the 600 pages through 10 years mark too much evolution to follow)
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #9,081 of 9,207
I have Lcd2 fazor edition, it's easy to drive, and Sony zx300. They sound great together via single ended output. Balanced output is more powerful and I think it would sound very well with LCD2c but as you say, not at full potential.
I would say either buy LCD2 fazor or if you want LCD2c, you might try a topping dac/amp or an ifi micro idsd, or if you add some money, the black label edition of ifi micro. They sound great together, still not at the full potential but you kind of need to double or triple the budget for a dac/amp to reach the potential these headphones have. Try to find used devices, on my country I've seen ifi micro bl sold for around 220 euros.

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #9,083 of 9,207
I have Lcd2 fazor edition, it's easy to drive, and Sony zx300. They sound great together via single ended output. Balanced output is more powerful and I think it would sound very well with LCD2c but as you say, not at full potential.
I would say either buy LCD2 fazor or if you want LCD2c, you might try a topping dac/amp or an ifi micro idsd, or if you add some money, the black label edition of ifi micro. They sound great together, still not at the full potential but you kind of need to double or triple the budget for a dac/amp to reach the potential these headphones have. Try to find used devices, on my country I've seen ifi micro bl sold for around 220 euros.

Well, that's good news, thank you very much for your answer!

I use the high gain with all my headphones with the zx300 and to my ears they all deliver their better with more juice (Flares pro 2hd, Sennheiser ie 800, Dali io 6 and Audeze Sine). My only experience with planars was the Sine (which i'm changing with a friend, plus some money, for the LCD2 Classic, so there's no choice there about the Fazors) and i can assure that the jump from the single ended output to the balanced one, in high gain, was huge. I was afraid about the combo with the L33cds sounding low, dead and dull from the zx300 without an amp, but now i can have small expectations about achieving, at least, minimums of enjoyment and goosebumps.

Now i'm on the center of the storm living in Madrid, so i will wait till things go back to normality (that grey thing that we only appreciate when it's gone) to look for an amp, but following your recommendation the ifis will be high on my list. Looks like someone is selling an ican old version of it at good price close to my house. Would it be enough?:
https://www.milanuncios.com/amplificadores/ifi-micro-ican-amplificador-auriculares-306547009.htm Are there big differences between this one and the Black label edition??

Thanks again for the answers!

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #9,085 of 9,207
Ican is an amp only but it will better drive your headphones. If possible, test it first, ican is very powerful but balanced mode on zx300 with high gain might be enough.
After some research i'm finding the ifi xcan specially tempting, although a little expensive for my budget. I'll test before my devices and if they don't deliver as i'd like, well, you've put the devil's seed on me...

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #9,086 of 9,207
Would a Schiit Mjolnir2 be a good endgame amp for the LCD-2C?

Apr 2, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #9,087 of 9,207
I don't think it was mentioned in this thread already (its a large thread) but the Questyle golden stack sounds great with my LCD-4's. I have run it in single amp and dual-mono block mode.

Very Best
Chris

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #9,089 of 9,207
Would a Schiit Mjolnir2 be a good endgame amp for the LCD-2C?

I would think so. I'm running the Mjolnir1 into LCD-2F's and find the pairing to be excellent. YMMV

Cheers, JC

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #9,090 of 9,207
I would think so. I'm running the Mjolnir1 into LCD-2F's and find the pairing to be excellent. YMMV

Cheers, JC
That Sounds promising. Looking so forward to it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back