Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Nov 12, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #9,121 of 9,207
These are just different kinds of distortion, regardless of what pseudoscientific terms people call them. The THX AAA amps have no audible distortion and thus cannot be meaningfully surpassed. If you want to change the frequency response, use an EQ.

LOL. Let me laugh harder.

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #9,123 of 9,207
The Cavalli Liquid Platinum sold by Monoprice is a great match that will keep the style of sound you like and do it even better. It's a balanced amp so you'd need to also get balanced cables for your LCD-2. Balanced cables direct from Audeze are about $150. The combo of the amp and cable would put you a little over budget, give or take.

Liquid platinum is great with LCD2. It's my break from the usual Sennheiser thang. Asgard 3 is great with LCD2 also if needing something cheaper. I personally wouldn't bother with much in between those amps.

Thanks! It looks great, the problem is that it seems really hard to find here in Europe :frowning2: I do have a balanced XLR cable, though. I've found it only in a French site and going for a whooping 1199€, which is damn too much, it would be cheaper to import from US, as crazy (and dumb) as it sounds, lol.

I fear the Asgard being a bit of a downgrade, although I have not tested it so it's just the dumb bias of "more expensive = better" which isn't always true.

(quoting you but not to debate)

I own the Monoprice THX AAA 887 and I also own the LCD2 and they do indeed work very well together. I listen to metal as well. I'm not really sure why Ham dislikes the AAA so much but rest assured, this amp is a great value for the money. I have owned many amps over the years and the AAA compares well with my old BHA-1. (I mean c'mon, I paid $1600 after tax and shipping for my BHA-1 and to get the same SQ out of a $300 AAA or whatever I paid for it is just...crazy)

If anything I think the AAA helps bring the LCD2 to life more so than tubes and I am a tube guy for sure. Now don't get me wrong, I love the LCD on tube(s) but when I tested the AAA I was really shocked at the synergy. I own multiple tube amps and I have to say the LCD2 really loves a good SS amp or even better yet a good hybrid.

So if anything, this only goes to prove that each person is different. I'm sure to Ham the AAA sucks but to others (like me) it rocks. Each to their own and all that jazz.

Thanks as well! Why do you like it better? The THX AAA 887 is actually in the same French site but for 449€, which seems reasonable. I personally love the lil distorsion in the CTH and how it delivers its dark yet engaging sound along the LCD2, so I would like to keep this or get even a bit darker.

Topping A90?

I see this one in Amazon UK for 450 GBP, although sold by a Chinese dealer (or again, the French store for 499€). How is the quality? I would kinda like something built like a tank or that their customer won't be a joke like Drop. And more important: Why do you like its sound with the LCD2?

Thanks everyone!

Nov 13, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #9,124 of 9,207
Thanks! It looks great, the problem is that it seems really hard to find here in Europe :frowning2: I do have a balanced XLR cable, though. I've found it only in a French site and going for a whooping 1199€, which is damn too much, it would be cheaper to import from US, as crazy (and dumb) as it sounds, lol.

Are there any European based Amazon sites selling it? Any European based eBay sellers selling it?
The Liquid Platinum uses a switching mode power supply that is able to handle 50-60 Hz power and 100-240 Volts. So the US amp will work worldwide with the power supply that is shipped with it.

The Liquid Platinum really is an excellent pairing with the LCD-2. There is sonic synergy going on. The sound character of the amp merges with the sound character of the LCD-2 to make both sound better than they do individually. It's a case where the whole sounds better than the sum of the parts. My primary listening system is a Cavalli Liquid Fire, Schiit Gungnir multibit, and LCD-2 Classic (or my older LCD-2r2). I've been using that system setup for over 5 years and I really like that sound. The Liquid Platinum is a lot of that same sound. The combination of the Liquid Fire or Liquid Platinum with the LCD-2 just works. It's synergy. I've heard the LCD-3 on other systems and I prefer listening to the LCD-2 on my system than the LCD-3 on other systems. The Liquid Fire and Liquid Platinum get the LCD-2 to perform above its weight class (that's an audiophile cliché but its so fun to say when it is true). I'm recommending the Liquid Platinum and LCD-2 combo because it is a combo that I really like and I've heard systems and setups that cost much more and deliver less enjoyment and synergy.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #9,125 of 9,207
Are there any European based Amazon sites selling it? Any European based eBay sellers selling it?
The Liquid Platinum uses a switching mode power supply that is able to handle 50-60 Hz power and 100-240 Volts. So the US amp will work worldwide with the power supply that is shipped with it.

The Liquid Platinum really is an excellent pairing with the LCD-2. There is sonic synergy going on. The sound character of the amp merges with the sound character of the LCD-2 to make both sound better than they do individually. It's a case where the whole sounds better than the sum of the parts. My primary listening system is a Cavalli Liquid Fire, Schiit Gungnir multibit, and LCD-2 Classic (or my older LCD-2r2). I've been using that system setup for over 5 years and I really like that sound. The Liquid Platinum is a lot of that same sound. The combination of the Liquid Fire or Liquid Platinum with the LCD-2 just works. It's synergy. I've heard the LCD-3 on other systems and I prefer listening to the LCD-2 on my system than the LCD-3 on other systems. The Liquid Fire and Liquid Platinum get the LCD-2 to perform above its weight class (that's an audiophile cliché but its so fun to say when it is true). I'm recommending the Liquid Platinum and LCD-2 combo because it is a combo that I really like and I've heard systems and setups that cost much more and deliver less enjoyment and synergy.
I checked and I didn't find any besides that outrageous French one. On eBay, Monoprice sells it new but open box at 440 USD, but with customs and shipping it would end up at around 620 USD, ~523 euros which isn't that bad, although there's two things:

1) I don't know how the warranty would be. I don't wanna be in the same pickle as with the CTH, in which it started giving issues shortly one year after.
2) Honestly? I would rather take my chances and buy it "ilegally", paying customs only if I'm caught, but I believe that using eBay US (or Amazon US) would imply paying customs beforehand.

I will keep looking, I really like the CTH sound, but I've got really ****ed by its build quality and Drop's awful support, so I'm hoping for the Liquid Platinum to be step up on both.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #9,126 of 9,207
I checked and I didn't find any besides that outrageous French one. On eBay, Monoprice sells it new but open box at 440 USD, but with customs and shipping it would end up at around 620 USD, ~523 euros which isn't that bad, although there's two things:

1) I don't know how the warranty would be. I don't wanna be in the same pickle as with the CTH, in which it started giving issues shortly one year after.
2) Honestly? I would rather take my chances and buy it "ilegally", paying customs only if I'm caught, but I believe that using eBay US (or Amazon US) would imply paying customs beforehand.

I will keep looking, I really like the CTH sound, but I've got really ****ed by its build quality and Drop's awful support, so I'm hoping for the Liquid Platinum to be step up on both.

Order direct from Monoprice. They ship to Europe. The LP is currently on sale at Monoprice for $400 USD.
Don't get an open box version. Those are returns. Some of those are returns that the customer has damaged (customers can be really stupid with audio gear). You don't want to risk getting an open box one that has been damaged. Especially if you're in Europe and would need to ship it back to the US to get a replacement.

The Liquid Platinum also shows up in the for sale section here on head-fi. Could buy a used one here as long as you can trust the seller to have not damaged the amp by being stupid.

Nov 13, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #9,127 of 9,207
Order direct from Monoprice. They ship to Europe. The LP is currently on sale at Monoprice for $400 USD.
Don't get an open box version. Those are returns. Some of those are returns that the customer has damaged (customers can be really stupid with audio gear). You don't want to risk getting an open box one that has been damaged. Especially if you're in Europe and would need to ship it back to the US to get a replacement.

The Liquid Platinum also shows up in the for sale section here on head-fi. Could buy a used one here as long as you can trust the seller to have not damaged the amp by being stupid.
Just checked, I see that the original price was 800 USD and now is at 400... I am going to think about it and I might probably end up getting it, as I estimate it would end up for more or less 550 euros if I have to pay customs. Thanks for all your help!

Nov 13, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #9,128 of 9,207
Just checked, I see that the original price was 800 USD and now is at 400... I am going to think about it and I might probably end up getting it, as I estimate it would end up for more or less 550 euros if I have to pay customs. Thanks for all your help!
.....am curious how this tube amp fuses with planars...let us know !

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #9,129 of 9,207
I sure will!! And.... I've pulled the trigger, let's see when I get it :) and hope not to get caught by customs hahaha

This said, I believe it is hybrid and not just tubes, like the CTH. I've only tested them with it and the iFi Nano BL, which sounds a bit anemic and boring in comparison, so I will be lacking perspective when talking on how they run on different amps.

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #9,130 of 9,207

Planars love the Liquid Platinum. There are some planar headphone manufacturers who have used or use the Cavalli Liquid Fire or Liquid Crimson blended hybrids as one of their reference amps. The Liquid Platinum is also a Cavalli blended hybrid design.

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #9,131 of 9,207
Quick update on my Liquid Platinum: Not happening. Basically Monoprice made me waste my time, 10 days after cancelled my order and support has been completely useless, no solution or actual explanation given. At this point, I've removed Monoprice from my options and have them join Drop as people I do not want to ever make any kind of business with (despite how little of a deal I am).

Any other recommendation? Quoting myself below:

Hi,

There's... over 600 pages, lol. I have read like the last 3 but still I will go ahead and ask for a recommendation. My budget is around 500€ (give or take, lol) and I am currently using a CTH that is having some issues. I really like(d) its sound, dark and boomy, perfect for metal, but the build quality is awful (and Drop's customer support is so bad I'm never buying a single thing from them again). What can you recommend me that would fit?

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #9,132 of 9,207
Can anyone recommend either a speaker SS amp or speaker tube amp (push-pull) that will go with the power requirements of LCD2.1 ?
I'm also mindful of the noise floor on the older sweet sounding monster speaker amps also...anyone find a hidden gem that can be hooked up to on the speaker taps ?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #9,134 of 9,207
Is the Dragonfly cobalt a good match for the LCD-2?
Cheers
Which version...power requirements differ between a few distinct models...you'd be holding it back generally with that.
Look at E1DA PDV2 if you can pair with a warmer meatier dongle style dac/amp...it has a tubey veneer...killer for the price and it drives a wide range of planars.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #9,135 of 9,207
...for E1DA PDV2, you do need a balanced 2.5" terminated cable...so equate that in to your total costs.
The other E1DA stuff is buggy as heck on system interoperabilty which is a shame as his E1DA9038 iterations make a planar IEM sound like you have a full-size planar can on your head...it's crazy !! Just hope his next 9038x dac/amp unit release is extensively beta tested...as he is a good guy (Ivan) with excellent pricing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back