Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Feb 17, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #8,821 of 9,207
As I understand it.. The RSA Amps (a couple of them anyway) can take the SE output from something like the Mojo and internally separate the signal into two opposing signals (isn't the differential... unless I have the concept completely wrong, and is likely the case) that can then be output via a balanced connector. It may not be "fully" balanced throughout, but this workaround still provides a workable balanced solution I would think. I was just wondering if there was anything else out there that does something similar.

Most balance amps can do something like this. My AudioGD Phoenix does, as does my WA22... Actually the WA22 is balaced but not differentially signalled... Just to confuse you some more.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #8,822 of 9,207
Most balance amps can do something like this. My AudioGD Phoenix does, as does my WA22... Actually the WA22 is balaced but not differentially signalled... Just to confuse you some more.

Interesting, I was looking to keep it portable though. I no longer have interest in Desktop amps.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #8,823 of 9,207
Well I'm out if my depth here.

I made it a point to keep all my portable stuff non balanced... Too much connection types to muck around with... I am steering clear away from balanced portables.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #8,824 of 9,207
  Interesting, I was looking to keep it portable though. I no longer have interest in Desktop amps.

I would highly recommend you stay single ended with the LCD-2 then. Because balanced designs operate at higher voltages, and you have to have double the parts (left and right channels are seperated) they use a lot more power and can't put out a lot of juice for very long running off a battery.

I really think that balanced only matters if the full signal chain is taking advantage of the topology to accomplish certain goals of power, efficiency, and sound quality, but sometimes it can introduce more problems than it solves. The Mojo has far fewer parts in the signal path than anything you'll add to the sound chain has.

Your options are super limited anyway. Only some of the super high end DAPs have balanced outputs, and I only know of several balanced, portable headphone amps, the Cavalli LC being by far the most popular, but again, it's designed for a balanced input/output. The SE connections are there for convenience.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #8,826 of 9,207
Damn, I just realized the Mojo is a lot more expensive in the US than here in Europe. I just wish I could try it out somewhere. I guess I'll just have to give it a shot. Until I have heard so many good things about the Mojo, I didn't even consider getting something portable, but the idea of being able to carry it around really grew on me. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #8,827 of 9,207
  Damn, I just realized the Mojo is a lot more expensive in the US than here in Europe. I just wish I could try it out somewhere. I guess I'll just have to give it a shot. Until I have heard so many good things about the Mojo, I didn't even consider getting something portable, but the idea of being able to carry it around really grew on me. 

Me too! FYI: Read the Mojo thread. Especially the FAQ section (for charging). A few of us are dealing with a "coil" whine while it charges. I ended up ordering a new charger and cable, but also custom built a cable to see if that helps eliminate the coil issue.

BTW: I've decided to keep the Deckard. It is too good of an amp with fantastic Synergy with the LCD-2 to just let it go. It also works great as a pre-amp to my active desktop setup... so, it's here to stay.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #8,828 of 9,207
  Me too! FYI: Read the Mojo thread. Especially the FAQ section (for charging). A few of us are dealing with a "coil" whine while it charges. I ended up ordering a new charger and cable, but also custom built a cable to see if that helps eliminate the coil issue.

BTW: I've decided to keep the Deckard. It is too good of an amp with fantastic Synergy with the LCD-2 to just let it go. It also works great as a pre-amp to my active desktop setup... so, it's here to stay.

I just subscribed it earlier today, but haven't really had a chance to read anything yet. I was planning to buy it with the cable kit, so I'll see how that goes, but I don't know about the noise, hope there is a way to get rid of it.
One thing that worries me is the battery life degrading over time, and really everything that has to do with charging, but I think, the pros outweigh the cons. I really fell in love with the idea of just using the LCD2 properly amped in bed 
biggrin.gif
 - it's something about the leather that just makes them feel so cozy. 

Btw, I also think it is a smart decision to keep the Deckard, at least for right now. If you end up not finding a use for it in, you can always sell it in the future. (At least that is what I always do with used, stuff, keep it, and when I am sure I have no use for it, sell it)

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #8,829 of 9,207

The Deckard was used in this $4k cans (LCD-4 + Utopia) shoot-out with $60k speakers + sub combo.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katz%E2%80%99s-corner-episode-13-big-shootout-audeze-lcd-4-vs-focal-utopia

Wise choice :wink:

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #8,830 of 9,207

The Deckard was used in this $4k cans (LCD-4 + Utopia) shoot-out with $60k speakers + sub combo.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katz%E2%80%99s-corner-episode-13-big-shootout-audeze-lcd-4-vs-focal-utopia

Wise choice :wink:

Hot Dang! The Deckard is a fantastic amp! I've listened to a bunch more tracks... trying to figure out the buzzing issue with my Mojo...and while the "DAC" might be cleaner in the Mojo... the Deckard has more "weight" to it, and is a more "fun" and engaging amp to me. If the replacement Mojo buzzes too... I'm just returning it... to find the equivalent of the Deckard in the Mobile space (whatever that is).

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #8,831 of 9,207
  Hot Dang! The Deckard is a fantastic amp! I've listened to a bunch more tracks... trying to figure out the buzzing issue with my Mojo...and while the "DAC" might be cleaner in the Mojo... the Deckard has more "weight" to it, and is a more "fun" and engaging amp to me. If the replacement Mojo buzzes too... I'm just returning it... to find the equivalent of the Deckard in the Mobile space (whatever that is).

I would try the optical input on the Mojo first and see if that buzzes before returning it. If you're using it over USB it could just be noise from the USB port. I know I get a lot of noise on my Bifrost when I plug it into most windows computers I have, even with a Wyrd connected.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #8,832 of 9,207
  I would try the optical input on the Mojo first and see if that buzzes before returning it. If you're using it over USB it could just be noise from the USB port. I know I get a lot of noise on my Bifrost when I plug it into most windows computers I have, even with a Wyrd connected.

This is with no connection (other than charger) as well, and it buzzes. No at all time mind you.

Side Note: What speaker is that in your Avatar? It looks awesome, especially the ribbon tweeter!

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #8,833 of 9,207
  This is with no connection (other than charger) as well, and it buzzes. No at all time mind you.

Side Note: What speaker is that in your Avatar? It looks awesome, especially the ribbon tweeter!

Aw, shucks, that certainly could be an issue. Good thing you sent it back.

That would be one of my Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters. Best speakers I've ever heard, insanely detailed and smooth at the same time. Great for someone with tinnitus from listening to too much death metal, like me. Really stepped up another notch in realism and detail when I put the XMC-1 into my system, Dirac is magical.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #8,834 of 9,207
  Aw, shucks, that certainly could be an issue. Good thing you sent it back.

That would be one of my Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters. Best speakers I've ever heard, insanely detailed and smooth at the same time. Great for someone with tinnitus from listening to too much death metal, like me. Really stepped up another notch in realism and detail when I put the XMC-1 into my system, Dirac is magical.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

I haven't sent the Mojo back "yet". Waiting on the supposed AudioQuest Forest cable that was referenced to fix it. I'm still in touch with the Vendor though and will send it back in a heart beat (and not miss out on my return window). I'm going to look into those speakers for my near-field setup.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #8,835 of 9,207
  I haven't sent the Mojo back "yet". Waiting on the supposed AudioQuest Forest cable that was referenced to fix it. I'm still in touch with the Vendor though and will send it back in a heart beat (and not miss out on my return window). I'm going to look into those speakers for my near-field setup.

Gotcha, I have doubts about the cable doing anything, but look forward to seeing your impressions.

For near field I would consider going with the Sierra-2. It has very intense holographic imaging capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back